Ladies FS Review | Golden Skate

Ladies FS Review

EWalker

On the Ice
Kitamura (JPN) “Poeta”
3L with a step out—sit spin—3F-2T—3T-2T-2R—flying camel—3S—circular steps—combination spin—3F—spiral steps—2A—3L—combination spin to close. Akiko was dressed in a very nice swirly light blue dress. I think that she should switch to pairs. Tech: 49.12; Comp: 39.36; Total: 88.48/132.04.

Carter (AUS) “Tango Medley”
Skating in a very appropriate latin looking black dress. 3L—3F-2T-R—3R—combination spin—layback—spiral sequence—2A—straightline steps—3T—1A—flying camel to close. Has the best speed of the competition. Should place in the top 15 at Olympics. Tech: 43.76; Comp: 43.02; Total: 86.78/133.97.

Zukowski (USA) “The Misson”
3R—fall on 3L—ugly layback that needs stretch—2F—sit spin—siral steps—3S-2T—3T(foot down)-2T-2T—serpentine steps—3S two hands down—2A—combination spin to close. Dressed in her green dress from Nationals. Christine’s timing was off the entire week, and she fought to get it back. Nice effort with some success. Tech: 44.17; Comp: 41.82; Ded: -1.00; Total: 84.99/131.42.

Amelie Lacoste (CAN) “Romanza” by Nina Rota
This poor girl has the worst luck here. First she had the blackout incident after she skater her SP. Today she had some clear plastic thrown on the ice that wasn’t visible by most people. A woman in my section saw it, and showed it to me, so as Amelie gets into her start position, I screamed for them to stop. I felt like such an idiot, but felt better that she wouldn’t get hurt. I would never do anything like that ordinarily, but it could have caused some problems for her. 3R-2R to start—Fall on 3L—2F—straightline steps—2A—spiral steps—combination spin—3F—flying sit—1A—2R overrotated—flying sit on again to close. Tech: 39.03; Comp: 41.30; De: -1.00; Toatl: 79.33/127.29.

Liu (CHN) “My Parents” by San Bao
Opens with a beautiful 3L-2T—3F—3R-3S sequence—3T—upright spin—straightline steps—layback—3T-2T—2A—3S—spiral steps—flying camel—combination spin to close. Dressed in lavender and purple, Liu had a breathtaking performance reminiscent of Lu Chen. Her ending pose was Lulu’s ending pose from her 1996 FS. This young lady is one to look for over the next couple of years! Tech: 52.27; Comp: 42.50; Total: 94.77/138.55.

Kim (KOR) “Danse Macabre”
Coached by Mie Hamada of Japan. Dressed in black with gold sequins. Steps out of 3T to begin-2T—3S-2T—flying sit—Fall on a 3R—spiral steps—2A—layback—Hand down on 3S—Fall on 3T—straightline steps—flying camel—combination spin that finishes after the music to close. Somewhat boring program. Tech: 34.33; Comp: 37.30; Ded: -2.00; Total: 69.63/112.00.

Asada (JPN) “Amethyst” by Yoshiki
Dressed in a beautiful amethyst colored dress. Begins with a nice 3L—3F—3S—flying sit—Falls on 3F—3T (where are her combinations?)—combination spin—sit spin—3R—2A step 2A (fall)—easy circular steps—spirals—layback to close. Nice skater, but needs some help interpreting COP. Tech: 46.10; Comp: 45.42; Ded: -2.00; Total: 89.52/141.65.

Leslie Hawker (CAN) “The Mission”
Dressed in a beautiful black dress with silver highlights. 3L-2T-2R—3F-2T—2R—combination spin—spiral to 3L—3T-2T—3S—combination spin—straightline steps—spiral steps (nice edges, but struggles for nice positions)—Ina Bauer into a 2A—flying camel—flying sit that puts most mens’ to shame. Leslie is really a good skater. Where has Canada been hiding her? Tech: 51.29; Comp: 45.74; Total: 97.03/145.94.

Liang (USA) “Hope” by Apocalyptica
Bebe had a rough warmup in which she obsessed over the 3R that she fell on or popped repeatedly. Her coach should have made her move on to another element to practice. Left the ice looking horrified. Opens with a gorgeous flying sit—2A—Falls on the 3F—3L-2T with a smile—1-foot combination spin—3F-2T—nice layback—spiral steps—1R—3L—3T-2R—combination spin to close. Not her best. Tech: 49.69; Comp: 50.18; Ded: -1.00; Total: 98.87/159.91.

Taylor (USA) “Forrest Gump Suite”
Katie was dressed in a purple costume very similar to Mai Asada’s. Opens with a 3F—2A—flying sit—seems to be getting stronger with each move—3L-2T—spiral steps—saggy legged camel spin to begin combination spin—3F-2T—Two-footed the 1R—straightline steps—3S—sit spin—and still getting stronger—layback—closes with a nice 3L at 4:00!!! Katy is going to be a Grand Prix girl next fall! She could be one to watch. Tech: 53.83; Comp: 52.96; Total: 106.79/164.05.

Duhamel (CAN) Rondo Capriccioso”
Begins with a flying sit—3F—2A-3T which makes her very happy—Hand down on 3L—flying sit—one-foot combination spin—1F (I read her lips at this point, and she has a severe case of potty mouth!)—Fall on 3S—spiral steps—3R—weakish straightline steps—3S-2T—combination spin to close. How does this girl skate pairs? She has a very distinct jump technique that I would expect to be difficult to match. Dressed in Black and red with gold trim. P.S. A few years ago, she would have been Canadian Ladies Champion. Tech: 49.51; Comp: 45.79; Ded: -1.00; Toatl: 94.30/145.28.

Nakano (JPN) “Don Quixote”
Looks very much like AP McDonough from a distance in her pink with silver trim dress. The dress looks very much like a Julie McDonough original. Opens with an underrotated 3A—3L-2T—Flying sit—Spiral steps—Ina Bauer into 3F—1R—combination spin—very odd pattern on her circular steps—3S—3T-2T-2R—flying camel—3F—combination spin to close. Yukari looked like she was concentrating the entire time…she didn’t have any facial expressions until her program was finished. I thought that she had won the competition, but winning the FS was all she could do. Tech: 54.63; Comp: 53.33; Total: 107.96/161.49.

I will post the other ladies comments when I get back home tomorrow.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Thank you, EWalker..

Thanks for posting your reports from 4CCs.

Yeah, Katy. And good for Bebe, not totally falling apart. These two could go far, so don't quit Bebe!

kyla2

Final Flight
Happy for Katy

I am happy for Katy but I felt bad for Bebe. If she can ever get it together, she will be a tough competitor.