Savoie will be second highest American in Turin! | Golden Skate

Savoie will be second highest American in Turin!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Savoie will finish ahead of one of Lysacek or Weir in Turin, but behind the other. I am not sure which will be which. None of them will medal, but Savoie will finish above one of them. His Four Continents performance is a good sign, his 75+ in the short is better than Lysacek could get even with a clean short, and only slightly below what Weir would probably get with a clean short in an international. Hopefully by Turin a clean long will be doable for him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just hope he has the skates of his life.... and I really hope that I don't jinx him! :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
Yep - I'm hoping that Matt can pull off a 'Wylie'. He's been in it for years and not been able to pull it all together at the right moment - just like Paul. I think he's a beautiful skater and truly admire him for skating at such a high level while working on multiple college degrees. I think he's studying for his Masters in Urban Planning.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I hope he reconsiders leaving skating after this year. He finally got some recognition from U.S judges, maybe things are on the up for him. I do hope either way he has a Wylie-like moment in Turin, that does not have to be a medal
of course, just a personal best performance, one that is inspirational to him.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 -

Won't it be incredibly cool when Matt pulls of this upset?! :thumbsup:

I also hope he stays around after the Olys. We've enjoyed Matt's style for a long time - it would wonderful to see him top his Nats performances on the world stage.

Do you think he has the emotional/mental concentration to hold up under the Olympic pressure?

Tenorguy

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Tenorguy said:
slutskayafan21 -

Won't it be incredibly cool when Matt pulls of this upset?! :thumbsup:

I also hope he stays around after the Olys. We've enjoyed Matt's style for a long time - it would wonderful to see him top his Nats performances on the world stage.

Do you think he has the emotional/mental concentration to hold up under the Olympic pressure?

Tenorguy

It would be incredably cool if Matt shocked in Turin. :yes: As for his emotional mental concentration under that kind of pressure, it is hard to guage right now for me anyway since he has limited experience in globabl events, he has won at one Worlds ever, in 2002.

His Nationals long program performance was stunning, the highlight of the event for me. If he can build on that it wouldnt surprise me if he impressed the Oly judges.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I hope Matt's confidance keeps building off of what was said at Marshall's and his win putting him on the Olympic team. I also think he's going to be training his tushy off more than ever. He very well could pull a "Wylie", lol. Nothing is impossible. Remember the "miracle" hockey game? :D

IDLERACER

Medalist
soogar said:
I think Savoie will be the highest American.
:biggrin: Yeah? And just what is it that makes you think he's going to take that honor away from Tommy Chong?

Ba-Da-Boom!

Sometimes I think Matt has too much of the artistic temperament. Like Angela Nikodinov and Johnny Weir, he has a tendancy to give up when things aren't going well. Not on purpose I don't mean, but it's like making a mistake takes the wind out of his sails instead of making him dig down deeper.

I have seen him give performance of this sort even in cheesefests and exhibitions, and most recently at Four Continents:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11993

All the North American men (Savoie, Weir, Lysacek, Buttle, Sandhu) need the eye of the tiger. Come on, guys, be Plushenkos out there!

MM :)

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Mathman -

Yup, ALL of the North American men need to pack and open up several cans of skating Whoop-A** and try and put a hurtin' on the OGM favorite!

Of course not anything violent like kick boxing, but there is no way to get around the fact that Turino will be a battle...... for me one of the most interesting men's fields in a while.

I'm looking forward to some great skating! :agree:

Tenorguy

jesslily

Final Flight
Savoie could be the highest American in Turin. He is really well trained, and his jumps are the best among top American men. He should be placed 1st at the Nationals.

Kasey

Medalist
Matt bombed his jumps in the LP at 4CC. Would he get away with that at the Olys and continue to have respectable PCS? Probably not. Lysacek and Weir are both more consistant jumpers at least. I would not be surprised to see the U.S. men's finishes in Torino to be identical to the U.S. nats.

I'm hoping for a top ten but I am not expecting one. I can list 10 tried and true competitors right now which some would have to melt down to get Matt in this grouping.

Like Angelina, he is a favorite of well wishers.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Frankly, I'd like to see Matt be the highest American at Torino and shock everybody by winning a medal! :clap: I have so much respect for this guy, as he has quietly and consistently practiced his craft, skated many good performances, without the hoopla and fanfare that accompany many of the other skaters. Matt has also earned a master's degree, something which is a true testament to his ability to concentrate on his education and take it seriously, as well as his skating.

Let's hope Matt becomes the Paul Wylie of Tornio. Go, Matt!!