Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sasha News

Custom Title

Sasha News

Sasha and Nicks has taken on a new assistant coach that specializes in speed and the strenghts of her programs. They are trying to up the ante going into the Olympics with a no holds barred kind of attitude. She was supposed to make some kind of announcement over the weekend. There is some talk about it on FSU and Sasha Fans. Just taught that you would like to know.

Medalist
    I really think this is a smart choice. If Sasha could get more speed into her program she could be more comparable to Irina.

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    I know that speed is a good thing, so i am glad to see her making these steps. But why is speed a good thing? Having not seen competitive skating live I dont know if speed over the ice in between moves is something to value over artistry? On tv speed is very hard to measure, and its not like skaters fly over the ice in the shows ive seen live like COI and SOI.

Why is speed an added element? Someone with skating experience want to school me on this?

Medalist
    Speed doesn't mean more stroking, it means more control, more push off of the strokes you have. Speed is something hard to judge from a television, but if you watched Sasha live years ago (and even recently) it's obvious that it takes her longer to get from one end of the rink to the other. It just looks like she has less command of the rink, I guess.

Custom Title
    I'm glad that she's doing this too. However, can one tremendously improve their speed over a short period of time? Or would that take several months of work. Also, I wonder what goes into speed training. What kind of on or off ice techniques are used.

Rinkside
    It is more difficult to do you elements when you have a lot of speed. Everything happens faster. When you are learning new jumps, you generally learn them going very slow or like the axel, from a stand still. Going slow helps you feel the positions that you need to hit to do the jump successfully. Gradually, you begin to add speed as you gain more confidence in the jump. When you see skaters going very fast into jumps they get more credit because it is more difficult. It is very hard to judge on television.
    I went to Skate America in 97' and could not get over how slow Michelle Kwan was in comparison to Tara Lipinski. Tara skated rings around her when it came to speed.

Custom Title
    Thanks for answering sk8rgrl3! Considering how added speed affects the execution of the elements I guess it'll take some time to build.

Custom Title
    Oh, good! At the last minute, Sasha realizes she has to improve her skating.

This is the sign of a real champion, All bal-s out for the Olympics.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    Oh, good! At the last minute, Sasha realizes she has to improve her skating.

This is the sign of a real champion, All bal-s out for the Olympics.
    No worse than Kwan "realizing she needs to add a 3/3," Orchid.

Medalist
    Ok, about the "oh, she only started working with her now" response.

From the sounds of the poster from SF who skates at Sasha's rink, Sasha didn't just start working with her. She was like "Oh, that's Fay. I know her. Yeah, she works with Sasha."

I do not know, but I imagine perhaps Sasha has been working with her since TEB, where people were saying Sasha looked slow compared to the other skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Misplaced Gymnast
    No worse than Kwan "realizing she needs to add a 3/3," Orchid.
    Roll on the floor all you want, point is Sasha has only come to know what she needs to do in the past weeks. Michelle knew she "needed: the 3/3 for a decade, but won championships without.

2nd point, is with a couple of weeks before Olympics, SC is changing her skating sytle,
    Good luck, miss,

Custom Title
    I think Sasha has been working with this coach for quite some time and somebody at FSU decided to make it known. It isn't a big deal at all and I don't think there was going to be an announcement. Skaters use specialty coaches all the time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brinababy87
    Ok, about the "oh, she only started working with her now" response.

From the sounds of the poster from SF who skates at Sasha's rink, Sasha didn't just start working with her. She was like "Oh, that's Fay. I know her. Yeah, she works with Sasha."

I do not know, but I imagine perhaps Sasha has been working with her since TEB, where people were saying Sasha looked slow compared to the other skaters.
    To you too, SC has been slow for y e a r s. Now she figures it out, TEB must have been a mirace-revalation which at last became clear.

When a skater performs with speed, the entire performance just looks better although as others have said, it is much more noticeable live than on TV. Under the old 6.0 system, raw speed was generally factored under the technical mark, while "variation of speed" was measured under the presentation mark. Under CoP, I think speed is primarily measured under Skating Skills, though I could see how it might factor in under P/E as well. I assume it would also impact GOE on elements.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rgrl3
    It is more difficult to do you elements when you have a lot of speed. Everything happens faster. When you are learning new jumps, you generally learn them going very slow or like the axel, from a stand still. Going slow helps you feel the positions that you need to hit to do the jump successfully. Gradually, you begin to add speed as you gain more confidence in the jump. When you see skaters going very fast into jumps they get more credit because it is more difficult. It is very hard to judge on television.
    I went to Skate America in 97' and could not get over how slow Michelle Kwan was in comparison to Tara Lipinski. Tara skated rings around her when it came to speed.
    I disagree. Jumps are easier the faster you enter into them. Of course, your speed must be controlled and the jump should be executed in a textbook manner.

I agree. Spins can be a problem with speed. Again, it's controlled speed that works for the skater.

As for Sasha, I never find her really slow in her programs. Sometimes, I find her hesitant.

I think Irina's speed is overrated. I've seen faster skaters:

Carolina in the first half of her programs.

Alissa and I wish she would slow down and carefully do her jumps like Irina does before she jumps

Yuka, the fastest lady skater in the world and you would never know it because she covers the ice brilliantly.

As for Tara, well, bubble gum speed doesn't get to me. JMO

Joe

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast