Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Calling Historians - when have the alternates been called?

  1. #1
    Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,801

    Calling Historians - when have the alternates been called?

    In terms of the various FS diciplines, what Oly's or World's have called upon the performances of US Alternates? I personally would be thrilled to be named an alternate. That still represents elite accomplishment in this sport, IMO. When have they been called upon historically?

    Thanks!!

    DG

  2. #2
    SkateFan4Life
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    In terms of the various FS diciplines, what Oly's or World's have called upon the performances of US Alternates? I personally would be thrilled to be named an alternate. That still represents elite accomplishment in this sport, IMO. When have they been called upon historically?

    Thanks!!

    DG
    Well, back in 1994, Michelle Kwan, who had won the US silver medal at Nationals and was named as first alternate to the Olympic team, traveled to Lillehammer. She continued to practice, but not at the competitors' facilities. She was on site just in case Nancy Kerrigan was not able to compete or if Tonya Harding was barred by competition. Michelle watched the Olympics from the sidelines.

    I am not aware of any recent episode of an alternate being called into the Olympics, but there have been a number of instances in which the 4th or 5th place finisher at Nationals competed at Worlds, after the Olympics, because one or more members of the Olympic team elected to skip the Worlds.

    I am glad that Emily Hughes will have the opportunity to compete at Worlds this year.

  3. #3
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    There have been a few at the GP finals. Sandhu comes to mind and he beat Evgeni at that one.

    Joe

  4. #4
    SkateFan4Life
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    There have been a few at the GP finals. Sandhu comes to mind and he beat Evgeni at that one.

    Joe
    And there have been times in the GP events. Alissa Czisny was called in as a last-minute replacement to compete at Skate America this past fall. She had about two or three days notice - and she won the silver medal.

  5. #5
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9

    Use of Alternates

    I'm not positive of the year (2002 or 2003, I think), but when Sarah Hughes decided not to attend Worlds, Jenny Kirk had about 2 weeks to prepare for Worlds as the alternate then replacement. I believe she may have even been the SECOND alternate. She had assumed her year was over, and was breaking in new skates, and thus skated at Worlds with blisters from the new boots.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    I'm not positive of the year (2002 or 2003, I think), but when Sarah Hughes decided not to attend Worlds, Jenny Kirk had about 2 weeks to prepare for Worlds as the alternate then replacement. I believe she may have even been the SECOND alternate. She had assumed her year was over, and was breaking in new skates, and thus skated at Worlds with blisters from the new boots.

    She was the 2nd alternate. Angela Nikodinov was the first alternate and was injured I think or for some reason couldn't go. Didn't Jenny injure herself at Worlds? I think she may have withdrawn after the SP.

  7. #7
    Skating Soprano
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    419
    Angela's shoulder was injured.

  8. #8
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,150
    Bobek went to 1994 World's when Kerrigan abstained after winning her 2nd Olympic Silver. She hadn't trained and did not make it out of QR. Michelle's placement at 1st World's guaranteed the US Ladies 2 spots in 1995.

    Ironically, Bobek won the bronze at 1995 World's and Michelle the Pewter medal. If MK hadn' skated well, only one of them (Bobek) would have gone.

  9. #9
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,150
    Slightly off topic..... the only times I recall a US Olympic Skating competitor having to withdraw mid-competition was 1988. Caryn Kadavy had to withdraw after the SP since she got a severe flu with a 100+ degree temperature. Of course, Tai and Randy are also famous for having to withdraw from Oly's. In both instances (I believe), it was too late for the alternates to replace them.

  10. #10
    Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,801
    Can someone verify the last point at which an alternate can be put into Oly or World's competition? I believe the "no turning back" moment for Oly's is the SP draw (CD in Dance)? Correct? For World's I assume it would be the QR Draw?

    Thanks!!

    DG

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Yeah, final replacement is the SP draw. But this subject to a very strict emergency rule, you could risk the final replacement request not being approved......Guess this was the reason there were US IOC officials at MK's test skates....because they had cautioused the USFSA before they named MK as the team, that in MK's case it was a pre exist injury, they emergency replace rule might not being approved by IOC. So they want to make sure she IS health to skate....otherwise they'd risk waste a spot.

    Don't count on her being replaced. If she got through the darkest/hopeless days in early November, and pushed through the 2nd injury (good for her listening to her team not stuborn to her own wish to compete at Nationals), there is only way up.
    Last edited by mzheng; 01-30-2006 at 03:42 PM.

  12. #12
    Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,801
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    Yeah, final replacement is the SP draw. But this subject to a very strict emergency rule, you could risk not being improved. Guess this was the reason there were US IOC officials at MK's test skates....because they had cautioused the USFSA before they named MK as the team, that in MK's case it was a pre exist injury, they emergency replace rule might not being approved by IOC. So they want to make sure she IS health to skate....otherwise they'd risk waste a spot.

    Don't count on her being replaced. If she got through the darkest/hopeless days in early November, and pushed through the 2nd injury (good for her listening to her team not stuborn to her own wish to compete at Nationals), there is only way up.
    Thank you for responding Mzheng. I don't understand your response. My only language is English, and maybe that is part of the problem. Could you explain this more fully?

    DG

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    Thank you for responding Mzheng. I don't understand your response. My only language is English, and maybe that is part of the problem. Could you explain this more fully?

    DG
    What part you don't understand? Oh I see, it should be 'approved' not 'improved'...edited......see that's when you got confused with word when you post in your second languge. I
    Last edited by mzheng; 01-30-2006 at 03:43 PM.

  14. #14
    Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,801
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    see that's when you got confused with word when you post in your second languge. I
    Mzheng, I don't have a second language. I have no idea what you are talking about. I would really like to understand what you are trying to say, but I don't. Could you try again to clarify your point?

    Thanks,
    DG

  15. #15
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,068
    Hi Doggygirl. MZheng is responding to your question: “Can someone verify the last point at which an alternate can be put into Oly or World's competition? I believe the "no turning back" moment for Oly's is the SP draw.”

    MZheng is pointing out that, yes, this is correct. However, this is an emergency rule with strict criteria. If the ISU decided that Michelle was never really fit enough to compete, but was just stringing us along (with the connivance of USFS), then they might not give permission to have Michelle replaced.

    The rule is intended for someone who, out of the blue, breaks a leg or comes down with the bubonic plague the day before the SP.

    MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •