Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Calling Historians - when have the alternates been called?

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Hi Doggygirl. MZheng is responding to your question: “Can someone verify the last point at which an alternate can be put into Oly or World's competition? I believe the "no turning back" moment for Oly's is the SP draw.”

MZheng is pointing out that, yes, this is correct. However, this is an emergency rule with strict criteria. If the ISU decided that Michelle was never really fit enough to compete, but was just stringing us along (with the connivance of USFS), then they might not give permission to have Michelle replaced.

The rule is intended for someone who, out of the blue, breaks a leg or comes down with the bubonic plague the day before the SP.

MM
    Thanks MM. I'm not sure I understand the interpretation from the ISU, but I now have enough information to go hunting for the strict interpretation.

DG

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    Mzheng, I don't have a second language. I have no idea what you are talking about. I would really like to understand what you are trying to say, but I don't. Could you try again to clarify your point?

Thanks,
    DG
    I saw MM already clearified. My point was, beside the 5 ppl monitoring team and couple of USFSA officials, there also couple of US IOC officials at the monitoriing (it was reported by two pool report). So US IOC want to make sure, USFSA indeed does their job to verify MK is physically fit (100%), no slacks, no short cut. As US IOC already cautioused USFS, since this is a pre existed injury case, they take the risk to lost the spot, that if she was not fit to skate but they put her on team anyway. Then it would be very difficult to get approval from IOC to cite an emergency replacement rule.

But also as reported, now that since they signed off this monitoring process and wittnessed by both USFSA officials and US IOC officials pluss the media, now officially anyone of them (Sasha, Kimmie, Michelle) can be relaced had an emergency situation arise (knock, knock).

Hope I made it clear enough.

Rogue Leader
    Hmm, I thought the deadline was earlier than that. Sandu pulled out of the SLC Olympics due to injury, and was not replaced. I thought the reasoning was because he had skated an Olympic pratice. Maybe I'm wrong and they just couldn't get the alternate there in time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles
    Hmm, I thought the deadline was earlier than that. Sandu pulled out of the SLC Olympics due to injury, and was not replaced. I thought the reasoning was because he had skated an Olympic pratice. Maybe I'm wrong and they just couldn't get the alternate there in time.
    That could be in Olympics. It was said the emergency replace rule also had some input from the host country IOC. Since they are the one need to comodate all the different aspect (like Athelet dorm, trainning facility, etc.). The final date could be different for each Olympic, but for this one, somewhere reported they just have the last replace date changed from Feb. 12(?) to Feb 20 or 19.

The above rule that replace before the SP draw could be an ISU rule, which applied to Worlds....but Olympics the rule is subject approval of IOC and host country's IOC (I'm not sure with the late).
    Last edited by mzheng; 02-01-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Custom Title
    Offhand, I can't think of any examples of alternates being called on to compete at the Olympics. I would guess that most athletes who have been named to an Olymipc team are very strongly motivated to compete even if they're fighting illness or injury and thus wouldn't withdraw until the last possible moment, by which time it would be too late to replace them.

I can think of many examples of alternates going to Worlds, usually in Olympic years and often with very little notice, in some cases just a day or two.

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    I saw MM already clearified. My point was, beside the 5 ppl monitoring team and couple of USFSA officials, there also couple of US IOC officials at the monitoriing (it was reported by two pool report). So US IOC want to make sure, USFSA indeed does their job to verify MK is physically fit (100%), no slacks, no short cut. As US IOC already cautioused USFS, since this is a pre existed injury case, they take the risk to lost the spot, that if she was not fit to skate but they put her on team anyway. Then it would be very difficult to get approval from IOC to cite an emergency replacement rule.

But also as reported, now that since they signed off this monitoring process and wittnessed by both USFSA officials and US IOC officials pluss the media, now officially anyone of them (Sasha, Kimmie, Michelle) can be relaced had an emergency situation arise (knock, knock).

Hope I made it clear enough.
    Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking to time to work with me to better understand this process.

DG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2