Retired Skaters Going to the Olympics | Golden Skate

Retired Skaters Going to the Olympics

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
We all know about the complaining about Kwan not doing the GP for the past few years. How do you feel about skaters who have retired coming back for the Olympics? D&V, FP&M, and supposedly Silvia Fontana? IIRC D&V have done some GP events this year and Europeans. Is this fair?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
So long as they have retained their eligibility & their respective federations want to send them to the Olympics then I think it is fine.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Piel said:
We all know about the complaining about Kwan not doing the GP for the past few years. How do you feel about skaters who have retired coming back for the Olympics? D&V, FP&M, and supposedly Silvia Fontana? IIRC D&V have done some GP events this year and Europeans. Is this fair?

I feel FP&M should not have done it. They took a spot away from a young team they were coaching for years and for what, certainly not a medal shot in Turin unless there is some hanky-panky going on we dont know about.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I have no problem with it as long as they win their spots fairly through Nationals or such.

S

SkateFan4Life

As long as they qualify via their respective national championships and/or qualify via their national federation's selection committee - and they are obviously in good, competitive shape, I think it's OK.

Brian Boitano wasn't given a 'bye' to the 1994 Olympics. He had to earn his spot at the 1994 Nationals, where he was defeated by Scott Davis. Boitano competed at Lillehammer as the US silver medalist.

Katarina Witt also had to qualify for her spot on the German figure skating team so that she, to, could compete in Lillehammer. She competed at the Europeans and had a disastrous short program (Robin Hood) where she missed all of her jumps, but she rebounded in the long program and just barely qualified for the team.

I would be really surprised, however, to see any retired Americans return to the eligible ranks to compete at the Olympic Games. There is too much talent in the men's and women's fields for a "retired" skaters to qualify. But I suppose it's possible, just not very likely.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
merrywidow said:
So long as they have retained their eligibility & their respective federations want to send them to the Olympics then I think it is fine.
and can PROVE they are able to bring their game to the olys.... :)

S

SkateFan4Life

Tonichelle said:
and can PROVE they are able to bring their game to the olys.... :)

I agree with you. Who wants to see champions of the best return to the Olympics and be totally out of shape, overweight, etc. Ugh.

Of course, that will never happen! :biggrin:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
SkateFan4Life said:
As long as they qualify via their respective national championships and/or qualify via their national federation's selection committee - and they are obviously in good, competitive shape, I think it's OK.

Brian Boitano wasn't given a 'bye' to the 1994 Olympics. He had to earn his spot at the 1994 Nationals, where he was defeated by Scott Davis. Boitano competed at Lillehammer as the US silver medalist.

Katarina Witt also had to qualify for her spot on the German figure skating team so that she, to, could compete in Lillehammer. She competed at the Europeans and had a disastrous short program (Robin Hood) where she missed all of her jumps, but she rebounded in the long program and just barely qualified for the team.

I would be really surprised, however, to see any retired Americans return to the eligible ranks to compete at the Olympic Games. There is too much talent in the men's and women's fields for a "retired" skaters to qualify. But I suppose it's possible, just not very likely.

Neither Boitano and Witt were even locks to make their strong teams. Boitano was favored by most to win the U.S Nationals and medal at the Olympics, but he still was not a total lock to even make the team, atleast 2 of Eldredge, Davis, and Mark Mitchell had the potential to bump him out. As it turned out he did come 2nd to Davis, and had Eldredge been healthy might have been bumped out. Witt was actually in even tougher to make the German team with Szewcenko and Kiellman, the former a young up and comer, the latter a solid veteran only slightly younger than Witt, but both with triple lutzes and triple flips in their reportoire. Witt benefitted greatly from some meltdowns at German Nationals and Europeans by Kiellman to make the team. The Kiellman that took 4th at Wolds later that year would have pushed Witt off in all likelihood.

heyang

Record Breaker
I believe Sylvia did skate at Italian Nationals and came in 2nd to Kostner. So, Mrs Zimmerman will be competing at the Olympics since Kostner's 3rd place finish at last year's Worlds gave Italy 2 spots.

Edited to add: assuming that the top finishers are automatically on the team by Italy's rules.

Last edited:

anniemg

Rinkside
I was talking with a friend the other day and she sais that she odesnt think that it's fair for athletes that haven't competed in 4 years to come back and claim medals. She believes that the Olympics are the reward of a 4 year career, and only those who have competed during this 4 years should get the high places.

I don't really agree, but I can see her point. It's unfair for people who have worked so hard this 4 years to have their medal-or high placement- taken away because someone decided that they want an olympic medal again.

I think it is ok for them to have a one last fling in the spotlight. I don't think they should take it seriously because they've lost a lot of competitive ground.

But then there is D&V who are looking so beautiful these days.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Drobiazko/Vanagas skated in the Nebelhorn as a season opener and won silver, then won the Karl Schafer and a ticket to the Olympics before competing at Europeans. They had three competitions where they won 3 medals, and have truly earned their berth at the Olympics.

Fusar-Poli/Margaglio got ridiculously high marks at Italian Nationals, but narrowly edged out Faiella/Scali in the FD, then they skipped Europeans. If F-P/M could barely beat the world's ninth-ranked team, and they somehow wind up on the Olympic podium, that would be a scandal and an outrage.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think retired Olympians can go to the Olympics as spectators, but not competitors. Once they move on, that should be it. Make way for the new kids on the block.