Paul Wylie's Keeping Busy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Paul Wylie's Keeping Busy

IDLERACER

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
considering we're hardcore conservatives, I think so lol
If his name is any indication, I would assume he was raised Greek Orthodox, but what do I know. It's strange how people from opposite ends of the political spectrum often look alike.

Mathman said:
That's an interesting question. The commentators are hired by the television networks, whose objective is to provide entertainment for the audience. ABC TV doesn't have to please the ISU. What makes for better TV, nice or cantankerous?

Back on topic (LOL), that's cool that Paul is contributing his time to the Children's Ministries program.MM :)
Paul is an Olympic silver medalist and knows exactly what every fs element is. He's lived it! (Other skaters too) I would go so far as to say he knows more than most judges, and he could be a tech asst anytime he want. If he sees a jump that is underrotated, I think he should report that. If the judges disagree with what he saw, he could just shrug his shoulders, and ABC should not take it out on him. My point was that Paul will be cautious what he sees so as not to shake his shoulders later. I reiterate, he knows more skating than most judges and he is following his TV director's advice.

Joe

JOHIO2

Medalist
Personally, I think Paul is by nature more conservative and quiet than Scott or Button. Why does he have to do more than point out what he thinks? That's what he's hired for - to give an expert's opinion. I think he does that.

And Toni, I can't imagine the people at your church keeping you out, over 10 or not. And you can always take pics, as you always do, and they'll be glad to have their own photographer follow Paul around!

JOHIO2 said:
Personally, I think Paul is by nature more conservative and quiet than Scott or Button. Why does he have to do more than point out what he thinks? That's what he's hired for - to give an expert's opinion. I think he does that.

ITA, and I don't think he has to wait for the judges decisions.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Paul is an Olympic silver medalist and knows exactly what every fs element is. He's lived it! Joe

actually he's proven over the years that he doesn't know it all.. in 00 or 01 during the professional grand slam competition Nicole Bobek did a backwards shoot the duck and he didn't know what the heck it was and said they should call it the "Nicole Bobek"... Roz Sumners corrected him. I'm sure he can tell a lot of the elements, but even Uncle Dick gets confused now and again (and again and again) it's always hard to tell even on the monitors...

JOHIO2 said:
And Toni, I can't imagine the people at your church keeping you out, over 10 or not. And you can always take pics, as you always do, and they'll be glad to have their own photographer follow Paul around!

No I don't think they would either lol... but we'll see, they have a really great media team already at the church and yeah lol I've already talked to one of them to see if they wanted any help at all and kinda went into a whole "this is how much I know" and they just all gave me a funny look. Alaskans just don't get skating I guess lol

Last edited:
Doggygirl said:
OK - I probably need to hit myself over the head with a hammer. ;) I still don't understand how any comrnentator (Paul, Scott, etc.) can be "held" to their comments. How could they be "held?" The judges are the ones who give scores (and the technical callers give jump rotations and levels). So if a commentator agrees or disagrees with the judges/callers......well, how is that wrong or bad? I could see the networks hiring those commentators wanting them to have opinions similar to the judges...but there are no ISU rules requiring that...right?
It is not wrong or bad. the commentator makes an affirmative statement, sticks by it and so the tech asst says it wasn't so. that's life. There's no reason for the commentator to change what he saw because someone who took a course in how to call the levels is correct. The tech asst is also human. Paul, I think should stick by his guns.

I would think that if the commentators tend to be WAY off from the judges / callers with their opinions, that the people hiring those commentators might look around for other commentators who are more "on" with the callers/judges. But aside from that, I guess I just have a thick skull. So I hope you are still willing to teach me more!!DG
Commentators, from what I'VE seen, good or bad diction, are not normally WAY OFF. They could make mistakes, but I wouldn't fire them for that reason. Remember the judges/callers are also former skaters so their views are the same or different from the commentator. No reason for Paul to wait for the tech asst's decision if he believes a jump was underrotated. He could just say, well, I disagree but he may have a problem with ABC if he does. I dunno.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It is not wrong or bad. the commentator makes an affirmative statement, sticks by it and so the tech asst says it wasn't so. that's life. There's no reason for the commentator to change what he saw because someone who took a course in how to call the levels is correct. The tech asst is also human. Paul, I think should stick by his guns.

Commentators, from what I'VE seen, good or bad diction, are not normally WAY OFF. They could make mistakes, but I wouldn't fire them for that reason. Remember the judges/callers are also former skaters so their views are the same or different from the commentator. No reason for Paul to wait for the tech asst's decision if he believes a jump was underrotated. He could just say, well, I disagree but he may have a problem with ABC if he does. I dunno.

Joe

I agree.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Paul tends to overthink everything so that leaves little room for confidence.. he would over think during competition, now he's translating that to commentary :laugh: at least that's how I've come to understand it...

S

SkateFan4Life

Paul Wylie is the new Director of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's
"Dare to Be a Daniel" program. There is a very nice two-page photo article of him in the February 2006 issue of "Decision" magazine. I think it's safe to quote a little from the article:

"That fall, I competed in the Olympic trials. I skated OK, but it wasn't my best. I changed into my street clothes, thinking there was no way I had made the team. But God must have had a reason for me to make that team. I made it by a tenth of a point.

For the next five weeks I trained my best ever, and I felt strong going into the Olympics. When I arrived in Albertville, France, I noticed that I was skating the best of the American men. While there, I meditated on Scripture and kept reminding myself that I was skating for the glory of God.

And God was about to do something dramatic. Even after my discouraging warmup, I skated the short program cleanly, including the triple axel combination. I was on third place, which was beyond my wildest expectation.

In the long program, I pulled up to second place and won the silver medal. I couldn't help but just beam the entire time because the result was "exceeding abundantly above all I could have asked or imagined."

"I've recently joined the Billy Graham Evangelisic Association as Director of Dare to be a Daniel, Franklin Graham's new effort to train "tweens" (children 9-14) in evangelism. In this culture where kids grow up so fast, we believe that the Great Commission is the responsibility of everyone, including tweens. We will equip them to share Christ with their friends. Look for the program to launch in May, with a Web site, music, and practical teaching."

Sounds like a wonderful program for Paul to be invovled with. All the best to you, Paul!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wow! thanks so much. I've never even heard of that magazine, so I guess I better go around looking for it now lol... google here I come... thanks skatefan

I've heard his "testimony" before and I've always loved how he tied his olympics into it... he is one of my "heroes"... :)

S

SkateFan4Life

The website for "Decision" magazine is:

decisionmag.org

You can probably subscribe directly from there.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thank you lol...

and MM, that happens with all search the site options they never give you what you want/need:rofl:

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
Here's the url

http://www.billygraham.org/DMag_Article_Index.asp

I couldn't find the article about Paul Wylie. If you search on "Wylie" there are no responses. If you search on "Paul Wylie" it will list all the references to Paul the Apostle.

You can stop rolling on the floor, guys. If you look at the website, you'll see that it shows the January 2006 issue of Decision. As I wrote, the article on Paul Wylie is in the February 2006 issue.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I noticed that after I went to the link...

I wasn't making fun, I have issues with my own sites with that stuff and gave up trying to fix it :laugh:

There's nothing on the "Dare To Be A Daniel" program on the site yet (which Paul said there wouldn't be) but I thought they might have a press mention... guess we'll have to wait!

S

SkateFan4Life

Tonichelle said:
I noticed that after I went to the link...

I wasn't making fun, I have issues with my own sites with that stuff and gave up trying to fix it :laugh:

There's nothing on the "Dare To Be A Daniel" program on the site yet (which Paul said there wouldn't be) but I thought they might have a press mention... guess we'll have to wait!

OK, Tonichelle :biggrin: Paul's new position sounds exciting!