Free Dance from TV | Golden Skate

Free Dance from TV

What a treat it was to see real dancing on the ice. Thank you very much D&V. They really don't need those tricks but still they some how work with their routine.

The other teams that we saw were what we've seen all year.
BTW. How bad did that finger cut look to you?

Joe

Last edited:

kareliz

Rinkside
D & V were so beautiful. What speed and flow. It was a dance, not just a sequence of elements. I think they should have been first or second. It was such a plesure to see them skate so well, and do do the requirements within aesthetically beautiful and engaging choreography.

I like the Ukranians and they did well, but oh how I wish ice dancers would wear costumes that allowed you to see the movement. All these flying and flapping costume parts obscure the movement. (Frivolous frumpery?) But still it seems like a collection of elements and not a dance.

The Russians are beautiful skaters but this program had mistakes, was slow and just doesn't work as a peice of choreography. Sometimes even with mistakes, it is fair to place a very good team above others who skate clean. I don't think that applies here. I think the top five teams (top 4 at this comp plus B & A) are very close and it should be a great Olympics. It will be very disappointing if the OGM is handed to N & K if they skate like they did here.

eliza88

On the Ice
I was sooooooooo happy to see D&V again...and they did not dissapoint! The judges however did! I could not believe they had the Russians in first with that program and those mistakes...wait a minute, I can believe it, this is Ice Dance after all. Ugh. New judging system, same problems because of the same judges doing the same thing. I also really enjoyed D&S...beautiful skate! The Ukrainians started off great, but really the last minute of their program just didn't have the impact or carry over that the beginning of the program had.

I was pulled into D&V's program immediately...how is it that they are always an audience favorite but never a judges? Most skating spectators are pretty knowledgeable...I would have had them in 1st for the FD, the French in 2nd, and possibly the Russians in 3rd.

eliza88

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
eliza88 said:
I was sooooooooo happy to see D&V again...and they did not dissapoint! The judges however did! I was pulled into D&V's program immediately...how is it that they are always an audience favorite but never a judges? Most skating spectators are pretty knowledgeable...I would have had them in 1st for the FD, the French in 2nd, and possibly the Russians in 3rd.

eliza88
I think the audience let the judges know they were displeased. I was so happy to see D&V and what a wonderful program. It was so refreshing to see something else besides Carmen.

Dee

Vash01

Medalist
I am always cautious when it comes to comparing speed on TV. It is very deceptive. The ice coverage also does not look the same on TV as it does in person.

D&V looked great. N&K did have one mistake (stumble by Kostomarov). I don't know if that was enough to switch their placements. As I said, it is hard to compare on TV, particularly when it is ice dance because it's all about edges, flow, turns, and speed across the ice.

I am going to really enjoy the ice dance competition. I do have one complaint however. I really hate those skimpy outfits, particularly the backless ones. I am always afraid that one of these days someone is going to be very embarrassed in public. I was particularly nervous about Grushina's outfit. Why can't ice dancers dress a little modestly and a little more securely?

Vash

Shanti

On the Ice
I must be the only one who strongly disliked D/V. They didn't impress me at all.

Vash, IIRC there was more than 1 stumble in N/K program ... But I like their "Carmen" - it shows their best and is well choreographed (and what's important, not channeling other numerous ice Carmens).

I found G/G scores completely inexplicable. It's an understatement to say they were not perfect, not to mention (again!) that their FD is Morozov's new low.

My favourite FD of the might was C/S', with DomShabs close second.

Overall, I liked the last but one warm-up much better.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm finally sitting down and watching my tape...

I am soooooooooooo happy to see D/V again. I didn't realize how much I missed watching them until now! I think seeing them skate right after N/K just makes you stand up and take notice even more.

N/K - I like the program, but not so much this performance. Joe, to answer your question it didn't look that bad on TV, but I wasn't there and it wasn't like they were showing it much.

ok back to watch the rest!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Navka didn't have to have a transfusion for that gusher?:boohoo: :rolleye: :boohoo:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not sure if that was directed at me... I honestly don't care one way or the other... she had to have stitches so it apparently wasn't just a little cut a bandaid would fix

Vash01

Medalist
I have had a couple of cuts while chopping vegetables that scared me. None of them required a single stitch, but the bleeding was scary (I had difficulty stopping it) enough to make me want to rush to the ER. Only the person that has the injury knows how that feels. Some people may be more stoic when it comes to injuries but you cannot make fun of those who are not. If Navka required 9 stitches, it was no minor cut, no matter how it appeared on TV.

Vash

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
How bad did that finger cut look to you?

Joe

Toni, it was in answer to Joe.

Vash I am not making fun of Navka, but of the entire situation.

I know that everyone reacts differently,but Navka did not seem to lose her cool or be bothered by it Call me coldhearted but nine skin sutures just aren't a big deal. Especially if like reported they were done for cosmetic reasons, meaning they were probably done by a plastic surgeon and were very tiny sutures. As a former ER nurse it is really hard to get worked up over a simple flesh wound.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Piel said:
Toni, it was in answer to Joe.

Vash I am not making fun of Navka, but of the entire situation.

I know that everyone reacts differently,but Navka did not seem to lose her cool or be bothered by it Call me coldhearted but nine skin sutures just aren't a big deal. Especially if like reported they were done for cosmetic reasons, meaning they were probably done by a plastic surgeon and were very tiny sutures. As a former ER nurse it is really hard to get worked up over a simple flesh wound.

Navka is not an ER nurse, and she is not a physician. She is an ordinary person who can get scared by an injury. I find the jokes about her injury not so classy (sorry Joe, it was not directed to just you).

Vash

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Vash,

The point is that she did not seem upset at all. She finished the program, she did the medal ceremony, she had a snack, and she waited until the next day to go to the ER. The only thing she seemed anxious about was to avoid the drug test, IMO. The wound was small enough that she was sucking on it (gross)and didn't even mess up her lipstick. I think she got an unfair break when they allowed Roman to test instead of her. IMO her injury was not significant enough for the rules of random draw to have been "overlooked".

I think most people overreacted to this minor injury. Navka is far from an ordinary person. She is a professional ice skater, a preformer, an entertainer, and a first class diva. I think she expected and got preferential treatment and THAT is not classy.

Last edited:

Shanti

On the Ice
Piel said:
She finished the program, she did the medal ceremony, she had a snack, and she waited until the next day to go to the ER.

She went to the doctor at the venue who advised her to go to the hospital because the cut required urgent treatment. She went to the hospital just after the event when other medallists were at press conference.

She didn't run away, she had the official permission.

And how do you know that she was only anxious about the doping test?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IMO if her injury was that urgent she would have forgone the K&C, medal ceremony, and snack. It is quite obvious that she was more than able to take the drug test. I question why someone who has so much riding on the outcome of that test just didn't take the test and get it over with.

Piel said:
IMO if her injury was that urgent she would have forgone the K&C, medal ceremony, and snack. It is quite obvious that she was more than able to take the drug test. I question why someone who has so much riding on the outcome of that test just didn't take the test and get it over with.
Yes, Piel. I didn't think of that. Where was the emergency with so much time to spare?

Joe