Competitors for the Ladies OGM | Golden Skate

Competitors for the Ladies OGM

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I would group the major competitors into three categories:

Favorites: Irina Slutskaya, Sasha Cohen

Medal contenders, maybe for gold: Shizuka Arakawa, Fumie Suguri, Carolina Kostner, Michelle Kwan.

Needs a Hail Mary Prayer: Kimmie Meissner, Joannie Rochette, Elena Sokolova, Miki Ando.

How would others group the contenders?

mzheng

Record Breaker
I thought there are quite a few european ladys who could be put a head of Kimmie. (Julia. S. Suzzana, Elena L. etc.) And even a young Canada girl Leung?

R.D.

Record Breaker
There's only one favorite as far as I'm concerned and that's You-Know-Who.

Contenders- or I like to say "in the field": Arakawa, Cohen, Kwan, Suguri, Ando, Sokolova, Kostner

Dark Horses: Ando, Sokolova, Suguri, Kwan

Long Shot: Everyone else except maybe the bottom 10 competitors or so.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Gold medal competitors: Arakawa, Cohen or Slutskaya

Possible silver/bronze medal contenders: Ando, Kostner, Sokolova and Suguri

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
There's only one favorite as far as I'm concerned and that's You-Know-Who.

Contenders- or I like to say "in the field": Arakawa, Cohen, Kwan, Suguri, Ando, Sokolova, Kostner

Dark Horses: Ando, Sokolova, Suguri, Kwan

Long Shot: Everyone else except maybe the bottom 10 competitors or so.

Are the groups not mutually exclusive? All of your dark horses are contenders!
Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
anything_for_skating said:
Gold-Slutskaya
Silver-Kostner or Choen
Other contenders: Kwan,Sokolova,Gedevanishvili,Ando,Arakawa...

With al this mention of Gedevanishvili - is she even going to the Olympics? Did her country qualify for a spot?

Ant

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
With al this mention of Gedevanishvili - is she even going to the Olympics? Did her country qualify for a spot?

Ant
Gedevanishvili qualified a spot for Georgia at Karl Schaeffer last October. She placed 4th.

antmanb

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Gedevanishvili qualified a spot for Georgia at Karl Schaeffer last October. She placed 4th.

Thanks for the info.

For all the gushing i've read on the internet and heard from the eurosport commentators, i missed the her programs and saw only a few seconds clip on the BBC coverage and i must say in that short clip she looked very young with young presentation so i did wonder what all the fuss was about.

Saying that there's been so much gushing over Fleur Maxwell and i totally don't get that at all. She looks like a slow careful skater who only has triple toe and salchow and i would think she would struggle to medal at a country like the USs nationals even in the junior or Novice category.

Ant

R.D.

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Are the groups not mutually exclusive? All of your dark horses are contenders!
Ant

no, they are not. Dark horses of course are contenders, but the reason they are "dark horses" is because they haven't done so well in recent competitions (or they don't have a consistent track record), so in a way they play "spoiler". just my take on it.