Partnership balance in pairs & dance teams | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Partnership balance in pairs & dance teams

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I just want to see a new ISU rule stating that the partners should not have more height difference than 6 inches.
Joe

That would be a pretty unfair rule to bring in, especially with the juniors...how are you supposed get a pair team together and hope they last for an entire elligible career if you don't know what eventual height they will end up?

What if a pair has a height differential of 6.5 inches....should that be it they're not allowed to skate pairs with each other anymore?

That said when Obertas skated for the Ukrain with her partner that really did look ridiculous - she was 12 or 13 and he was 19 or 20 and looked like a tiny kid skating with her coach...she used to have to take off on the SBS jumps way after him in order to land at the same time....that was pretty sill and there must have been a height difference there of well over a foot!

Ant

lulu

Final Flight
Antilles said:
How about B&S? Does anyone think there is a big skill difference there?

I think they were pretty much equal, Anton in particular had a great body line (probably one of the best amongst the male skaters). Their weakest element was occassional consitancy problems, but I can't remember if E or A were more inconsitant than the others.

Anton's presentation skills were more expressive, while Elena was more calm & inward, although I think Elena has really come out of her shell as of late.

Antilles said:
I always thought Ilia Averbukh was much stronger than Irina Lobacheva.

I agree, even taking into account that Irina had knee problems, which makes it harder to do difficult moves, Ilia was still a stronger partner.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I just want to see a new ISU rule stating that the partners should not have more height difference than 6 inches.
That would force someone line Chuviliav retire - he's 6'6", and I doubt he'd be able to find a 6' tall patner (unless they start allowing male/male teams into the sport).

chania36

On the Ice
There is a new dance team since a couple of years in Canada, well although Chantal Lefebvre is a dance skater since a long time, she went to the 1998 olympics with Michel Brunet, they were quite good together but always thought that he was a little bit too bad caractor. She is a little bit over the top in expression...

I went to see the canadians two weeks ago and I saw her again live and she skates with Markov and it is visible live that she is a much stronger skater then him, because he can barely catch up with her, they make me think of Fusar-Poli and Margalio, she was very expressive, way too much and he did not have the skating skills that she had, we always felt that he had to rush to keep in touch and synch with her. So the canadian team of Lefebvre and Markov, although he is Russian, not eligible for the olympics, they placed 4 and they have so many tricks and I would like to see a more softer side of them. I was out of breath because of all the heavy skating and fast and he just cant keep up with her, it is obvious... many people at the competition tlaked about it. On tv, I did tape the competition and it will show but not that much, but we can see, in person, even a person who is not a fan or knows about skating, can see that she is stronger and much stronger, his edges are nevers finished, maybe it is because she is faster and he has to cut them fast to keep up?? I just do not know.. but they even finished before the music in the long program.... she was over before he was, just slightly but she was.... if you noticed, feel free to let me know your impression on those two...

antmanb said:
That would be a pretty unfair rule to bring in, especially with the juniors...how are you supposed get a pair team together and hope they last for an entire elligible career if you don't know what eventual height they will end up? Ant
I think it is unfair to have an over 6ft man lifting a lady of 5.1 or less because a more esthetic looking team does not have that advantage.

That would force someone line Chuviliav retire - he's 6'6", and I doubt he'd be able to find a 6' tall patner (unless they start allowing male/male teams into the sport).
Too bad. I think figure skating should mantain a certain look. These odd sizes of pair teams can still do their acrobatic tricks in skating shows and concerts.
btw, I'm not pleased with basketball either.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I think it is unfair to have an over 6ft man lifting a lady of 5.1 or less because a more esthetic looking team does not have that advantage.

Too bad. I think figure skating should mantain a certain look. These odd sizes of pair teams can still do their acrobatic tricks in skating shows and concerts.

Joe

I think its tough luck for the couples that are closer in height...whatever next? Tell them they can only participate if they are certain weight? If the ladies are too light they have an unfair advantage? :laugh:

Ant

antmanb said:
I think its tough luck for the couples that are closer in height...whatever next? Tell them they can only participate if they are certain weight? If the ladies are too light they have an unfair advantage? :laugh:

Ant
Anorexia is the only answer:cool:

lulu

Final Flight
Joesitz said:

But a team with similar heights will more often than not, have better matching leg line-so they have an advantage that way.
Plus, with all of the athletic requirements, such as twists & throws, it is hard not to have a height difference between partners.

Joesitz said:

Joe

What does basketball have to do with this?

lulu said:
But a team with similar heights will more often than not, have better matching leg line-so they have an advantage that way.
Plus, with all of the athletic requirements, such as twists & throws, it is hard not to have a height difference between partners.
You got it, lulu. a twist by a 6'1' guy compared to a 5'8" guy has the advantage of being 5" higher before the twist even begins. And as you say the pairs who have smaller difference in their height are better looking and their romance on ice seems realer. take Pang and Tong. Everything they do looks to me in conformity although he's a bit rough on the throws.

What does basketball have to do with this?
Jealousy! I'm a short guy and totally disadvantage at ever dreaming of becoming a star basketball player.:scowl:

Joe

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:

Joe
Figures skaters should maintain a certain look? What kind of BS is that? The fact that someone loves skating and has a lot of talent isn't enough, they have to look the part?

rob43

On the Ice
I was actually always very impressed by B/S seeming equality. There SBS triples in particular were always so well matched . Except for 1 or 2 glitches they always seemed to be an ever pairing.

I thought the advantage of extra height for throw triples was evened out since the guy needs to catch the girl higher on throw twists before putting her down. Although everyone seems crashy anymore.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of Matthews/Zavozin, Morgan is by far the stronger skater, and that's because she's been ice dancing longer than Max, who started off in ballroom dancing. Although she was the one who fell in the OD and FD at Nationals, it was actually Max's missteps that caused her to fall. She is mesmerizing on the ice. This is an ice dance team that will go far.

tdnuva

On the Ice
northguy said:
For D/L, I think Patrice is a better skater. Better edges, amazingly strong for lifts, better twizzles. MF is also more frequently having problems in the footwork.
Hm. I watched them in practice. Live. From rinkside. I had the completely opposite impression. Honestly. His skating looked very rough and he struggled with easy steps. Had to repeat them very often. And this was their OD after (!) the season, nothing new. She looked much more secure in her skating than him. And I doubt they just had an off day, since then I looked closer at the feet and saw the same pattern in competitions, too.......