Oscar Nominations are Out | Golden Skate

Oscar Nominations are Out

CDMM1991

Medalist
Here they are. No surprises really, do you think?

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Capote
Terrance Howard
Hustle&Flow
Heath Ledger
Brokeback Mountain
Joaquin Pheonix
Walk the Line
David Strathairn
Good Night, and Good Luck

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:

George Clooney
Syriana
Matt Dillon
Crash
Paul Giamatti
Cinderella Man
Jake Gyllenhaal
Brokeback Mountain
William Hurt
A History of Violence

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE:

Judi Dench
Mrs. Henderson Presents
Felicity Huffman
Transamerica
Keira Knightley
Pride and Prejudice
Charlize Theron
North Country
Reese Witherspoon
Walk the Line

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:

Amy Adams
Junebug
Catherine Keener
Capote
Frances McDormand
North Country
Rachel Weisz
The Constant Gardener
Michelle Williams
Brokeback Mountain

ANIMATED FEATURE:

Howl's Moving Castle
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit

ART DIRECTION:

Good Night & Good Luck
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
King Kong
Memoirs of a Geisha
Pride & Prejudice

CINEMATOGRAPHY:

Batman Begins
Brokeback Mountain
Memoirs of a Geisha
The New World

COSTUME DESIGN:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Memoirs of a Geisha
Mrs. Henderson Presents
Pride & Prejudice
Walk the Line

DIRECTING:

Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Munich

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:

Darwin's Nightmare
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
March of the Penguins
Murderball
Street Fight

DOCUMENTARY SHORT:

The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club
God Sleeps in Rwanda
The Mushroom Club
A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin

FILM EDITING:

Cinderella Man
The Constant Gardener
Crash
Munich
Walk the Line

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:

Don't Tell
Joyeux Noel
Paradise Now
Sophie Scholl- The Final Days
Tsotsi

MAKEUP:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Cinderella Man
Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

MUSIC (SCORE):

Brokeback Mountain
The Constant Gardener
Memoirs of a Geisha
Munich
Pride & Prejudice

MUSIC (SONG):

"In the Deep"
Crash
"It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp"
Hustle & Flow
"Travelin' Thru"
Transamerica

BEST PICTURE:

Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Munich

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED):

Badgered
The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation
The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello
One Man Band

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION):

Ausreisser (The Runaway)
Cashback
The Last Farm
Our Time is Up
Six Shooter

SOUND EDITING:

King Kong
Memoirs of a Geisha
War of the Worlds

SOUND MIXING:

The Chronicles of Narina: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
King Kong
Memoirs of a Geisha
Walk the Line
War of the Worlds

VISUAL EFFECTS:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
King Kong
War of the Worlds

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY):

Brokeback Mountain
Capote
The Constant Gardener
A History of Violence
Munich

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY):

Crash
Match Point
The Squid and the Whale
Syriana

Brokeback Mountain has the most nominations, with eight.

mike79

On the Ice
Going through the list I see three pretty big surprises:

1. Crash being nominated for Best Picture instead of Walk the Line, which was a better film. Crash, although the acting was amazing, failed to live up to the hype. The movie was much better at the beginning unlike toward the end when it started getting preachy. Crash wanted to break down barriers but ended up perpetuating its own built in stereotypes. Walk the Line was considered almost a lock for a nom, especially after Ray was nominated last year and WTL is better than that movie as well.

2. Speaking of Crash, I was surprised to see Sandra Bullock not nominated for Supporting Actress. She was absolutely brilliant in the film, by far the best role of her career. I would have liked to see Ludacris nominated as well for Supporting Actor although I didn't have my hopes up. I thought he was great.

2. I was quite surprised to see that crapfest War of the Worlds nominated for visual effects over Star Wars. The majority of Star Wars was made up of visual effects and they blended seamlessly into the movie. It also had the best effects of all the SW movies, and all of the others were nominated for the award! Strange.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm honestly surprised Munich did as well as it did scoring a best picture nomination. I've not seen it, but I thought sure that Spielberg would have been kinda left out from teh whole thing

the Makeup stuff surprised me with Star Wars getting a nod. We'll see. I'm kinda bummed that Ian McDiarmid didn't get a supporting actor nod at all this year... he was sooooooooooooo good as the evil Lord Sidious/EmperorPalpatine but oh well... and very bummed that Star Wars didn't win a best score nod

oh well... I am also surprised to see Gyllenhaal up there... he hadn't been nominated at all earlier this year had he?

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I'm surprised that Capote was nominated for Best Picture and Best Director. I thought these spots might go to either Walk the Line or The Constant Gardener.

William Hurt was another surprise. I expected Terrence Howard to be nominated for Supporting Actor in Crash but I'm glad he's nominated for Best Actor in Hustle and Flow - it seems he bumped Russell Crowe in the Best Actor race.

I'm also surprised that A Love That Will Never Grow Old from Brokeback Mountain wasn't nominated for Best Original Song. I was surprised to see the song from Hustle and Flow.

I'm very happy for Brokeback Mountain, Crash, and George Clooney. :rock:

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Last edited:

equestrianguy

On the Ice
There weren't any surprises really. Just a few.. I bet there aren't going to be any surprises Oscar night either. I think the winners are already set in stone. The only toss up will be for best supporting actor. It will be George or Paul..
I was looking forward to seeing "Walk the Line" in there for best picture and it would have been if "Ray" hadn't been nominated last year. I also think Joaquin Pheonix should win for playing Jonny Cash, but Jamie Foxx won last year form playing Mr Charles. I think these two films are great, but kind of the same content. Oscar will reward the film by giving best actress to Reese.
I am happy to see Dolly Parton up for best song. I love me some Dolly! I'm sure she will perform the song on Oscar night.

Capote, imo, was a documentary on "In Cold Blood". However, Hoffmann's imitation was superb. I had hoped for a biog of Capote.

the SAG Awards didn't do much for Brokeback.

Crash is the dark horse in this grouping

Just hope the show is not boring and with little snide jokes about gay cowboys at a minimum.

Joe

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm glad that Jake Gyllenhal was nominated, I think he was nominated for a golden globe... but I could be wrong. I feel like his performance has been overshadowed a bit by heath ledgers, both of them were very compelling. To me a surprise was not that Terrence Howard was nominated, but that the film hustle and flow got any sort of oscar buzz. I saw it, and it was well done... but these types of films rarely get recognition from the academy.

Antilles

Medalist
I don't think Gyllenhaal was nominated for a Globe.

I was surprised Walk the Line didn't get a nod. It was a great film, certainly better than Brokeback. So was the Constant Gardener.

I'm annoyed at the best actress category. There were better performances to nominate. Joan Allen certainly should have been nominated for The Upside of Anger. I think the category will be between Witherspoon and Huffman.

I'm betting Brokeback wins best picture, even though I don't think it deserves it.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
the SAG Awards didn't do much for Brokeback.

The SAG awards is about the actors, not the movie. The cast of Crash won as a acting group. I still bet my teeth that BBM will still win best picture. Ang Lee is a shoe in for director. BBM will not win any acting Oscars. It will win adapted screenplay and cinemaphotography (and rightly so). I agree that the actress race is between Witherspoon and Huffman. I believe Huffman should win, but Witherspoon will win because this is a way to reward "Walk the Line" and acknowledge the great June Carter. It's funny because Pheonix should win for best actor playing Jonny Cash and not Witherspoon.
As a gay man I agree if BBM had been a hetro love story it would have not got much attention at all (even though it is beautifully filmed). BUT, for Ann Proulx for writing and Ang Lee for taking on such a story with such passion and putting it on screen (which took them 8 years to finally get it filmed). I believe this movie should win best picture. It is NOT a gay cowboy movie and a lot of people have felt and realized that. It's that love is universal and any love can endure..

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Antilles said:
I'm annoyed at the best actress category. There were better performances to nominate. Joan Allen certainly should have been nominated for The Upside of Anger. I think the category will be between Witherspoon and Huffman.

Joan Allen was amazing in the upside of anger, good flick too. When did that come out? I know I saw it on video a few months back, is it elligiable for this round of the awards?

Lanie

On the Ice
Star Wars only getting one nomination? What on earth? No visual effects?! What are these people smoking?

Looks like the Oscars have been overtaken by Brokeback Mountain. No surprise, it's Hollywood. :rofl:

I'm not too into movies or celebs but I am still shocked EpIII didn't get many nods. And not for costume? What is up with THAT?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lanie... Star Wars has never dominated the oscars in nominations... and when it does get a nod it's normally for the "smaller stuff"

as for gay cowboy jokes and the SAG awards... why were Heath and Jake giggling like two school girls while they were giving the synopsis on their film?

Lanie

On the Ice
But Toni you know what a Star Wars geek I am! :D In general I'm not a big movie-goer. I think last year I saw three different flicks...and I saw Episode 3 like, five times. :p

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Jake Gyllenhaal was nominated for the SAG Award's Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role (http://www.sagawards.com/nom_fsm.htm).

I know it's a long shot but I hope Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Michelle Williams win the Oscars. They turned in such brilliant and poignant performances. And in Heath and Jake's case, they took such a big chance with their careers taking on such roles, but once they did they surrendered themselves completely to their characters. :agree: :agree: :agree:

IndieBoi

On the Ice
As for the Best Acress category, I know Huffman and Witherspoon are the frontrunners, but I just :love: :love: :love: Judi Dench.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
as for gay cowboy jokes and the SAG awards... why were Heath and Jake giggling like two school girls while they were giving the synopsis on their film?[/QUOTE]

Most of the interviews I have watched on Jake and Heath talking about the film they have given this movie much respect. I think at the SAG Awards they are amoung their peers/friends and you could hear some others starting to laugh in the background. So I would have laughed too. Also, the way Heath Ledger put his hand on his hip while speaking was humorous. Plus, I'm sure they had a few drinks before presenting the movie later in the evening.

I too have ALWAYS loved Dame Judy! She should have won the Oscar for "Mrs. Brown" and not Helen Hunt! Dame Judy will get that best actress Oscar one of these years.. Actually, my favorite performance of hers was in "Chocolat". We saw a different side of her..

Antilles

Medalist
Longhornliz, The Upside of Anger should have been eligible. It came out around March last year. I think it was forgotten because it came out so early in the year.

fscric

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
as for gay cowboy jokes and the SAG awards... why were Heath and Jake giggling like two school girls while they were giving the synopsis on their film?

As I understand it, they were having problem reading the teleprompter. I would guess they were doing that to hide their discomfort of the situation.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Star Wars only getting one nomination? What on earth? No visual effects?! What are these people smoking?

It was a bit unexpected that there was no visual effects nomination given considering the five previous installments all received one.