Oscar Nominations are Out | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oscar Nominations are Out

Vash01

Medalist
I was shocked that Starwars did not get a nom for visual effects. I was hoping that it would get noms for best supporting actor (Ian McD.) and the score. John Williams already has 2 nominations (Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha), so may be they did not want to give him a 3rd nomination. However, not giving a visual effects nomination to Starwars is almost a crime, at least in my book.

I was very disappointed that Ziyi Zhand did not get nominated for best actress. She was wonderful in Memoirs of a Geisha. IMO that movie has been unfairly criticized. It is a really good movie but it did not do well at the box office, possibly because the reviews were so negative. IMO she deserved to be nominated ahead of Charlize Theron (North Country) and Keira Nightly (Pride & Prejudice).

I was happy that Munich got nominated for best pic. It is obviously not a pleasant picture but its intensity is extraordinary. It is very raw in the way it presented the material but it did not take sides. It is a very balanced way of presenting this very difficult topic.

In the best actor category there were so many great performances that many deserving actors had to be left out. The most disappointing to me were Ralph Fiennes (Constant Gardener) and Eric Bana (Munich).

I have not seen Crash yet, but I plan to, in the next few days. IMO Brokeback Mountain is a wonderful movie. I don't know if it deserves ALL the praise heaped upon it by the critics, but Ang Lee has done a wonderful job and I think he will most probably win the best director Oscar. IMO he should have won it for Crouching Tiger.

I was pleasantly surprised by Capote as a movie. I knew nothing about the main character or the book. Hoffman will probably win the best actor Oscar. I never saw Truman Capote on TV, so I cannot say how accurate his portrayal was.

I am a bit tired of the real life characters being played by actors, with the possible exception of Eric Bana's character in Munich because it is not a well known person. This year 3 out of the 5 leading men played real life characters (Johnny Cash, Truman Capote, Ed Morrow). IMO it is harder to bring to life an imaginary character without the help of old tapes.

BBM is leading right now but there can be an upset on Oscar day. Saving Private Ryan had seemed unbeatable, but it was upset by Shakespeare in Love.

Vash

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mike79 said:
Going through the list I see three pretty big surprises:

1. Crash being nominated for Best Picture instead of Walk the Line, which was a better film. Crash, although the acting was amazing, failed to live up to the hype. The movie was much better at the beginning unlike toward the end when it started getting preachy. Crash wanted to break down barriers but ended up perpetuating its own built in stereotypes. Walk the Line was considered almost a lock for a nom, especially after Ray was nominated last year and WTL is better than that movie as well.

2. Speaking of Crash, I was surprised to see Sandra Bullock not nominated for Supporting Actress. She was absolutely brilliant in the film, by far the best role of her career. I would have liked to see Ludacris nominated as well for Supporting Actor although I didn't have my hopes up. I thought he was great.

2. I was quite surprised to see that crapfest War of the Worlds nominated for visual effects over Star Wars. The majority of Star Wars was made up of visual effects and they blended seamlessly into the movie. It also had the best effects of all the SW movies, and all of the others were nominated for the award! Strange.

Didn't see walk the line, but did see Crash and thought it was the best movie I have seen in a long time. I think portraying a larger than life figure like Johnny Cash would be pretty hard to deliver, sorry I don't buy into Walk the Line. I don't think J. Pheonix has the pipes - there was only one Johnny Cash. I am routing for Crash to win.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
equestrianguy said:
Most of the interviews I have watched on Jake and Heath talking about the film they have given this movie much respect.
That's why I was asking... I found it very odd and sort of rude in so many ways... they were whispering before coming out so either it was a big gag between the two where they were back "in character" or it was an inside joke that they felt the need to show off but not share... what can you expect from two actors though ;)

Also, the way Heath Ledger put his hand on his hip while speaking was humorous.
I did see that and it was 'cute'.

Plus, I'm sure they had a few drinks before presenting the movie later in the evening.
They weren't the only ones and I find it incredibly embarassing and disgusting. They KNOW they are speaking, they shouldn't get that way and act unprofessionally, but that's just the prude in me talking I guess :laugh:

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
My vote for best supporting actress goes to Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener. She really filled the screen with her presence. Hers was almost a leading role.

I thought Michelle Williams role in BBM was too small. Even though she was very good in the role, she did not have much screen time. BBM had a lot of good small supporting roles besides Williams.

Earlier in the year I had thought that Rene Zellwegger would be nominated in this category for Cinderella man. I think Russell Crowe should have received best actor nom but there were so many great performances by leading men this year, and there are just 5 spots.

Vash

equestrianguy

On the Ice
[ I think portraying a larger than life figure like Johnny Cash would be pretty hard to deliver, sorry I don't buy into Walk the Line. I don't think J. Pheonix has the pipes - there was only one Johnny Cash.

Actually, Mr. Pheonix was AMAZING as the man in black! I got lost in him playing Mr. Cash. I thought I was totally watching Johnny. Hoffman will win playing Capote, but I totally think Pheonix should win.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I was very disappointed that Ziyi Zhand did not get nominated for best actress. She was wonderful in Memoirs of a Geisha. IMO that movie has been unfairly criticized. It is a really good movie but it did not do well at the box office, possibly because the reviews were so negative. IMO she deserved to be nominated ahead of Charlize Theron (North Country) and Keira Nightly (Pride & Prejudice).

I totally agree! She should of been nominated above Theron and Nightly. Since Memoirs of a Geisha got 6 Oscar noms I would think it would have gotten also a best pic nom. It was a beautifully made film. It will probably win best costume, art direction, and score..

Vash01

Medalist
I saw Memoirs of a Geisha and Pride & Prejudice on two consecutive days. Both are well made films but Geisha is definitely better, and Ziyi Zhang is far superior to Keira Knightley she has a far more difficult role. Ziyi did get nominated for a SAG (I don't think Keira did), so it seems the actors respect her but the academy does not. I wonder why?

I agree that Geisha could have been a nominee for best picture. It was that good. I can understand if it came in 6th or 7th due to the competition and was left out, but I do not understand the negative reviews it got.

Vash