Small question regarding Kwan's Long Program Music This Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Small question regarding Kwan's Long Program Music This Season

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Up to this point all she got from TT was injuries.

I think Kwan's injuries were there before she went to TT, hence the lack of competitive schedule the past 3 years. She always had a nagging hip injury, which caused her loop to be iffy in 2000.

flowjo35

On the Ice
VIETgrlTerifa said:
I'm sure that if Song of the Black Swan was leaked out prior to the 2000-2001 season, people would have hated it too. As long as Kwan feels this music and it brings out the best in her skating, I'm happy.

ITA, if Michelle feels it that's all that matters. We do not even know if this is the complete version she is skating too or if it has other pieces included. I'll wait and see. Michelle can do wonders with music that she feels deep into her soul. Go Michelle and show them what you can do:)

Lanie

On the Ice
I admit I really do like the music she's picked and I really want to see what she does with it, me being a Kwan fan or not! It should be interesting because it's different--Rachmaninoff, yes but not Piano Concerto No 1 or 2 (I love them both but...).

One thing about this piece is that, depending on the tempo, it is almost exactly 4 minutes long. This means that unless she wants to splice in something else, she pretty much has to interpret the entire work just as Rachmaninov wrote it.

This is a different task -- and, I think, a harder one -- than just to select some nice music to skate to.

I just listened to it ten times in row. It's growing on me. The problem is, it is so repeticious, with the variations each time being quite subtle compared to the overall sameness of the piece. Michelle will have to be equally subtle to do it justice. (And the judges will have to be subtle, too, to appreciate what she is trying to do, especially since they haven't seen it all season.)

I don't know. This is not a safe choice at all.

MM

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:

MM

Isn't one of the reasons why Michelle is criticized is that she is a "safe" skater who doesn't take risks?

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
First of all, I think the music is beautiful. Majestic is a perfect word to describe. It's the kind of rare piece that could even bring tears to my eyes. Secondly, the recording I have is over 5 minutes long, which is plenty to find enough music for a long program. Thirdly, and this is something that no one has mentioned, is the story behind this music that I found rather intriguing. According to the liner notes of the cd I have, Prelude was Rachmaninov's fans' most loved piece. It was said to bring the house down when he played it. The people loved it so much that they would not leave concerts until he played it. I think that could be a good omen.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I just listened to it ten times in row. It's growing on me. The problem is, it is so repeticious, with the variations each time being quite subtle compared to the overall sameness of the piece. Michelle will have to be equally subtle to do it justice. (And the judges will have to be subtle, too, to appreciate what she is trying to do, especially since they haven't seen it all season.)

MM

I don't know if this is the exact version of her LP or if MS was talking about her SP music.....anyway, at the beginning of season, she said she diddn't like the music(s), diddn't like the program(s) (basically outright said they did not looked beautyful. I believe she was comparing it against Jeff's and maybe Sasha's as well) but after awhile, she said the music(s) growing in her, she started like it. And the programs just flow.......If that's the case, then I agree with you mm, it's not a safe choice at all, especially now she has to debut it first time in front of judges at Olympics (that's not her choice though), there is no time for judges to 'growing into' it.....ONE skate done, good or bad.

mzheng

Record Breaker
jeff goldblum said:
First of all, I think the music is beautiful. Majestic is a perfect word to describe. It's the kind of rare piece that could even bring tears to my eyes. Secondly, the recording I have is over 5 minutes long, which is plenty to find enough music for a long program. Thirdly, and this is something that no one has mentioned, is the story behind this music that I found rather intriguing. According to the liner notes of the cd I have, Prelude was Rachmaninov's fans' most loved piece. It was said to bring the house down when he played it. The people loved it so much that they would not leave concerts until he played it. I think that could be a good omen.
Which version do you have? Is it possible to find it on line?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find it hard to understand the negative comments about this music. It is a beautiful and very moving piece. For the non-believers, I would recommend watching Jeff Buttle's sp to the same music (cut down, of course). It is one of the most original skates I have seen. If COP tends to cause cookie cutter programs, music like this is just what is needed for a skater to break out of the pack. It's risky but, as they say, no guts, no glory.

havanamesa1

Rinkside
mzheng said:
That's exactly what TT told her NOT to do. She made sure there is non girlish hint in her skating to the programs. (it was said in Elle profile of MK).

For some reason, "smiling," "screaming," "flapping of arms," etc. remind me of one has-been Oly gold medalist whose acting career never took off, ha ha ha :chorus:

R.D.

Record Breaker
havanamesa1 said:
For some reason, "smiling," "screaming," "flapping of arms," etc. remind me of one has-been Oly gold medalist whose acting career never took off, ha ha ha :chorus:

You mean this girl? :love: :laugh:

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:
Smirk if you must, but Tara has an Olympic gold medal. What you got?

MM, you asked what she got. I think it's a gold medal for a long nasty tongue.:rofl: :rofl:

barbk

Spectator
I think this music is going to work about like The Red Violin did -- if Kwan is spot on and on fire, it will be great, and if she isn't it is going to seem like a funeral march.

And I like The Red Violin music, and even went so far as to purchase the album. But you could see such a difference when she was on vs. when she wasn't, and people reacted very differently to the music based on that. It isn't about having the perfect jumps, but about intensity vs. tentativeness, flair or thinking it through systematically, and complex but unexciting footwork vs. footwork that generates real excitement in the arena.

I think that it is a lot easier to skate to Tosca, and rely on the music to give you a lift, than it is to work with a piece like this one or Red Violin. I don't know that it was a good choice, but it wasn't my choice to make.

Cheers,
Barb K.

nymkfan51

Medalist
A friend of mine had me listen to an orchestral version of her music, and I liked it a whole lot better. It seemed less monotonous. Much more grand and majestic.

barbk said:
I think that it is a lot easier to skate to Tosca, and rely on the music to give you a lift, than it is to work with a piece like this one or Red Violin. I don't know that it was a good choice, but it wasn't my choice to make.
That is an excellent observation, BarbK. I would mention the Black Swan as another example of this, perhaps even more than the Red Violin.

I think that was one of the reasons that Michelle decided to part company with choreographer Lori Nichols. Lori's music choices were such killers. Michelle wanted music like Aranjuez and Tosca that would do part of the work for her, instead of posing such an interpretive challenge.

MM

nymkfan51 said:
A friend of mine had me listen to an orchestral version of her music, and I liked it a whole lot better. It seemed less monotonous. Much more grand and majestic.
That was my first impression, that her music must be an orchestral version. The bare piano banging away relentlessly on the same three notes -- whew!

MM

mzheng

Record Breaker
barbk said:

That's exactly the point. Some may chose a music 'well suit' her style, some may take risk skate to the music ppl claim not her music, not her style.....but hey, all the more power to Kween, if she can pull both of her programs off. Let her skating carry the musics instead the other way around.

Was it true that post 2002, she was heavyly criticised (even by her own fans) of chosing the over used piece of musics?