I know a lot of people are counting MK out, but would you at least admit | Golden Skate

I know a lot of people are counting MK out, but would you at least admit

Amber11

Rinkside
I know a lot of people are counting MK out, but would you at least admit

She has a chance. Even if it is an outside chance, it is a chance. Would you MK haters at least admit that if she was healthy, she would be a gold medal contender. Also, please admit that we don't know what contention of medal she is in the hunt for because we just don't know what her programs are like. Her programs could blow the roof of the mother or tank. So, please stop counting her out.

Is it not true that in order to get her consistency back she only need at least 2 weeks. Well, she has had that. Is it not true that she could be jumping 100% right now? So, haters stop hating and let the games begin.

R.D.

Record Breaker
again, may I point out that it's not fair to label all the doubters as "haters". That's so not true. Maybe they have valid reasons (other than "hate") for believing the way they do.

I'm not counting her out, but I'm not optimistic about her chances either. A podium finish IMO wouldn't be a real upset, but a gold would. You see, the top contenders would have to mess up pretty bad and mk would have to have the skate of her LIFE. The odds of that happening aren't very favorable. But MK could bump someone else off the podium (or in the standings) just by being there.

Amber11

Rinkside
Red dog, you are right. Haters is a strong word. I would like to change to that to say to the people who doubt MK for whatever reason. Your point is well taken. However, a chance is still a chance, right? No matter how slim, it is still a chance.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Yes, she has a chance ... but how good a chance is yet to be seen. Even she acknowledged that in her press conference.
I agree with RD ... not everyone who thinks she has no chance is a Kwan hater.
I love her to death, but can't get real excited that she's going to win the gold. I know it's possible, and that's enough for me.

millie

Medalist
Yes Michelle has a chance at winning at the Olympics, just as good a chance at the rest of the field. If she is healthy and recovered from her injuries, If she is CoP ready, If she has all her jumps and spins and spirals up to par with the rest of the skaters or better. BUT, if she hasn't improved much from her test skate, in reality nobody really knows only spectulate, I don't think that she has a "snowballs chance in -ell" to even reach the podium.

Good luck to all the skaters going into the Olympics.:)
from a skating lover not a kwan hater.

antmanb

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
Yes, she has a chance ... but how good a chance is yet to be seen. Even she acknowledged that in her press conference.
I agree with RD ... not everyone who thinks she has no chance is a Kwan hater.
I love her to death, but can't get real excited that she's going to win the gold. I know it's possible, and that's enough for me.

I'm in exactly this head space with it too....my brain and sound mind realise that because of her injury her chances of winning the gold are slim to none. If i ask myself honestly even without injury what her chancs of gold were, it wasn't that much more. Now if my brain and heart could get going then i'd be calm as anything for the Olympics, unfortunately my heart wants it so badly for her that my heart is still hoping for a miracle...like the last minute adition of a 3A and quad toe loop :laugh: .

I've no control over my heart's desires...my brain's been trynig for years to train it to no avail!

Ant

cianni

On the Ice
Yes

Michelle can win and so can many others. Why does it sound like we know exactly what is going to happen on the ice. Im only sure that someone will win but who Im not betting on it. Irina is slated to win BUT so was Michelle and Irina expected to win SLC. Walla Hughes wins and she sure wasnt nor is the best skater. How many fans were picking Hughes for Gold. My but we never seem to learn. Im just waiting to see who skates the clean well skated program and see how the judges mark. Will they be fair, Im dellusional or will they inflate marks to give the medal to the one they choose. Its not who will win but will it be the one who really deserves to win. Thats the question and will the media go nuts if its obvious the winner didnt deserve to win. Lots of excitement this time around and no Im not sure who will win. No one is a lock. My bet is a surprise and fans going nuts.

M

mylastduchess

Kwan doesn't have a 3/3 nor a triple axel if she beats Irina, or even sasha who had a year working with the scoring system then I would really be shocked, since I don't know how she could jump in the ice and immidiately she gets level 4's in all her elements!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amber11 said:
However, a chance is still a chance, right? No matter how slim, it is still a chance.
Everyone has a chance, not only Michelle. One of the things you have to remember is Michelle made choices and now she has to live with them.

I am wishing Michelle all the luck and best wishes for a wonderful skate at the Olympics and if she gets the gold, more power to her. She has worked hard over the years.

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dee4707 said:
Everyone has a chance, not only Michelle. One of the things you have to remember is Michelle made choices and now she has to live with them.

I am wishing Michelle all the luck and best wishes for a wonderful skate at the Olympics and if she gets the gold, more power to her. She has worked hard over the years.

Dee

Michelle certainly did not choose to be injured. Yes, she has to live with coming back from not one but two injuries, but that was not her choice.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I refuse to predict what the podium will look like for the Ladies ~ but in terms of Michelle I will say that whenever I seriously think it through and attempt to analyze all aspects & talents of this stellar field, I always come back to her comment during the '02 GP series... "I can do this. I'm Michelle Kwan!"

For '06 IMO this means one thing... don't count her out. This is one tough chick. Yes, she was injured. No, we don't know what her programs look like. Yes, she spins slow. No, she wasn't prepared for CoP last year. Yes, its difficult to have level 4 elements after a long rehab. Yes, I can see why people insist that she has no chance to get the gold or even a podium spot.

But still... she is Kwan & she only really needs to prove it for less than seven minutes over two days. Does this make me an unrealistic uber who's smoking something? Maybe. But will I be the only person shocked & dismayed at the end of the '06 Olympics? I seriously doubt it.

As for haters... who cares? The "skate gods" will deal with them...

Go Michelle!!! :rock:

antmanb

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Michelle certainly did not choose to be injured. Yes, she has to live with coming back from not one but two injuries, but that was not her choice.

I think the comment was meant to be more aimed at - she chose not to compete under CoP until Worlds 2005 rather than referring to injuries. Either way, everything happens for a reason and i would argue that Michelle's choice in preserving her body rather than pounding it to death was the wiser choice. Other people may feel differently. Either way the only way we'll find out if her decisions pid dividends is if she's still able to skate/jump in 15 years time.

Ant

millie

Medalist
Michelle was of the podium at 2005 Worlds because she never skated under the new scoring system. She said something to the effect "she was counting points in her mind". She hasn't skated since Worlds because she has been injured all season and now trying to heal and catch up with what what she is not used too, the new system. Yes she has had people look at her programs and they say that she is up to par with the new. It is going to be hard enough for her to skate her new programs for the first time, let alone at the Olympics but also the first time she has really skated this season. She has had to do a lot of catch up. But in figure skating you should never say never. Like someone say previously in this post, it's only about 7 minutes and a lot can happen.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I have MUCH respect for her. She will still be one of the most decorated skating champions ever. 100 years from now Kwans name will be brought up in skating history before Irina's, Sasha's or Shizuka's...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I hope people won't label me for this, but I just have to bring up this point...I know many of us here are Kwanfans. Now, is most of this speculation based on sentimentality and well-wishing, or on reality?

There's no doubt in my mind she's willing to duke it out (otherwise she wouldn't have gone) but really- she hasn't really competed in a long time. I do think it's a stretch to imagine that she will be at the very top of her game in Torino. Magic at least takes some time- and practice- to happen.

Also...am I the only one who thinks Kwan might actually be UNDERmarked this time? She hasn't competed in front of international judges since Worlds 05, and all her other top competitors have. So she may have something else working against her in that sense. She may no longer get the benefit of the doubt. I'd actually say Cohen is not far behind (she only went to one event and didn't make the GPF), but at least she got SOME feedback.

R.D.

Record Breaker
equestrianguy said:
I have MUCH respect for her. She will still be one of the most decorated skating champions ever. 100 years from now Kwans name will be brought up in skating history before Irina's, Sasha's or Shizuka's...

I think Irina will have her own place in history. After all she's the new record holder for most European titles. It's just maybe here in the States that the above might be true.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
again, may I point out that it's not fair to label all the doubters as "haters". That's so not true. Maybe they have valid reasons (other than "hate") for believing the way they do.

thank you, RD...

yes there IS that chance... just like Sarah had in 02... and countless others have had.
that's not my problem... my problem is the media touting her as the one to watch because she's gonna go all the way... it's a lot of hype that I just can't get on the bandwagon with...

nubka

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
my problem is the media touting her as the one to watch because she's gonna go all the way... it's a lot of hype that I just can't get on the bandwagon with...

ITA with you on this one. A few days ago (on a different thread) I posted how many times I become totally sick of certain celebs/singers/sporting figures because of media overkill/overhype. Heck, I'm even tired of hearing about Sasha & Irina, and I like their skating! Maybe if they reported something new and really interesting, but that's usually not the case.

Talk about media overkill, after the SLC Oly's, I'd felt like I'd seen enough of S&P to last me a lifetime, thank you very much...

Over exposure can be a real turn-off...

millie

Medalist
The funny thing about the media when they are "for" someone and all sugar coated, they are the best but when they say something "against" they don't know what they are talking about and they are bad. I works both ways and it's their opinion. The thing is that when something is written or on T.V. you have the perogrative not to read it or turn the T.V. of so that you won't be sick of hearing about things that you are tired of hearing. So the next time you see anything written about S & P or anyone else, just close your eyes and skip over it. It's their perogrative to write and talk and your's to close your eyes and ears.