Lost - I don't get It | Golden Skate

Lost - I don't get It

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I've tried to watch Lost several times, but just can't get into it. Does anyone follow this show? What is with all the flashbacks? At least on Gilligans Island, the castaways were always trying to get rescued. These people seem Lost all right.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I love it personally, i think its creative and different and spooky. Did anyone watch tonight? My dvr didnt record it so it was either a rerun or not on.

I think that to appreciate it you had to follow it from the very begining, i know that at the begining of season one i felt like the only person in america who was into it. Like it was this nerdy little secret that no one would admit they watched it. After about 5 episodes my friends admited that they had been following it too. i think it was definately the surprise hit of last season, and is partially responsible for SAVING ABC's behind. I am sad to see how ABC's recent dominance has affected shows on other networks... most importantly the west wing. I wish that NBC would keep it alive, its my favorite show of all time... there is only so much it can do when placed on sunday opposite the ABC mega hits. Plus ABC has a rival president political drama. Sigh.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Well Ladskater, you're lost and they seem lost. I guess the producers picked a fitting name for the show! :laugh:

Johar

Medalist
This week's episode was a repeat.

I will try to help you all along as the show progresses. They did try to get off the island but when they encountered a fishing trawler, someone on it took the little black boy and shot at the Korean, the boy's dad and a white guy with longish hair (Sawyer). Their raft was destroyed.

They also found a hatch with vague clues about where they are.

millie

Medalist
My thoughts on LOST, is that everyone on the island is really dead and they are all in purgatory. Didn't you notice when they took little Walt, the strangers said that the reason they took him because he was good. Everyone on the island has secrets and has done something bad in the past. The reason they never took the baby yet was because he wasn't baptised. Last episode, before the repeat, the baby was baptised. I would say he is the next to go with the strangers. What are your thoughts on my scenerio. Any more ideas.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Johar said:
This week's episode was a repeat.

I will try to help you all along as the show progresses. They did try to get off the island but when they encountered a fishing trawler, someone on it took the little black boy and shot at the Korean, the boy's dad and a white guy with longish hair (Sawyer). Their raft was destroyed.

They also found a hatch with vague clues about where they are.

Thanks. I think that is the problem, I keep seeing repeats and never see a plot develop to the next level. I saw the hatch episode where they found the computer.

Johar

Medalist
Most of the episodes have been new, but for awhile they were running the old one the same night as the new one to help viewers get caught up. Makes sense to me.

They opened the hatch and the Scottish man was down there, the same one who Jack met 15 years earlier when he was running up and down stadium steps for exercise. But this time the Scottish man wasn't as nice. After he calmed down he showed them a few things and he left the hatch.

Locke, Jack and the rest learned you have to punch these numbers into the computer every 108 minutes. The numbers add up to 108, and they are the same numbers Hurley used to win a mega lotto. But hitting the mega lottery also brought him bad misfortune. They are the same numbers the French lady had written down over and over.

Jin, Michael and Locke washed ashore on the other side of the island and were taken prisoner by the tail section survivors, who thought they were The Others, which are bad people.

About this time they had an episode where they showed what happened to the tail section survivors for the first 40 days. As soon as they came ashore The Others took some of their camp members, including two younf children. They became paranoid that one handsome man was a spy so Ana Lucia dug a pit and tossed him in. At night another member of the tail sections let him loose, saying Ana was going to really hurt him (cut off fingers). As soon as he got out of the pit that man broke his neck, killing him.

The next day Ana Lucia and this man went up on a hill. She let it be known to him that She noticed that after they crashed he appeared on the beach and was dry. She knew he was a spy for The Others and after a struggle she killed him.

Ana and the other tail section survivors (tailies) trekked through the jungle to the other side. Sawyer, weak and dying from his funshot wound, had to be moved on a stretcher. As they went up on a rise they heard whispering and another mmber of the tailies was taken.

Meanwhile Sayid and Shannon had formed a romance. She kept having visions or sightings of young Walter, the black boy who had been taken by The Others while they were on the makeshift raft.

Shannon said she had a hard time trusting men because so many had used her. She saw another sighting of Walter and ran after him in the rain, with Sayid in pursuit. They had a fight and he finally won her trust. Then he saw Walter, who looked like he had materialized in a thicket. Shannon ran after him and they heard a gunshot. Ana Lucia had shot her, thinking she was one of The Others.

Shannon was dead and buried the next day, next to her stepbrother Boone. They showed the Hatch to the tailies. Kate nursed Sawyer back to health.

Then we saw a background story on Charlie, who was in a band called Drive Shaft, until his brother started doing drugs and couldn't function. When his brother met a girl and had a baby with her, he deided to clean up his act, so he sold Charlie's beloved piano that his mother had given to him as a child. His brother then left him. So Charlie was alone with nobody and no money, which is why he took a job selling copiers, as seen in last season, but he had also become hooked on drugs and stole off of a girl he met to supply his habit.

Currently, Charlie is having visions and the islanders feel he is back to using drugs that they found on another crashed plane on the island, but it was the crashed Cessna that Mr. Ecko's brother was flying, not knowing it was full of heroin filled in hundreds of statue of the Virgin Mary.

During a vision episode Charlie took Claire's baby, which upset her. I think I already told this part.

About the island--there was a scene where Charlie and Ecko were chased by the monster, which was like smoke but seemed to be alive. Ecko stopped running and turned to face it, and it stopped chasing him. Ecko saw scenes of his life in the past, which was rough.

Also, according to a film strip Locke and Jack watched in the hatch, the island was part of an experiment called the Dharma Iniative. The saw scenes of polar bears fighting. Keep in mind that twice they were charged by polar bears, and last season they showed a scene of Michael giving toddler Walter a stuffed polar bear cub. In the background you can see the symbol of the Dharma Iniative of a bridge pillar.

And in seaon 1 Walter was reading a comic book he found with a polar bear on the back cover.

*So, polar bears must mean something we don't understand yet.

*We don't know who The Others are, except they are not friendly but they look normal. They also don't want the survivors of the crash on "their island."

*Walter is still missing, but when Michael was on the computer someone started IMing him claiming to be Walter. Michael fled looking for him.

*the cranky Scottish man hasn't been seen since fleeing the Hatch.

*Ana Lucia (Michelle Rodriguez) is aggressive and trigger happy. She once was pregnant but lost the fetus in a shooting.

* The Smoke Monster still baffles us, but it isn't the only monster. I don't think it's the same monster that seemed invisible and knocked over trees.

* When viewers played scenes of Walter trying to talk in those scenes where he seemed to materialize, he said something like, "Don't push the button, the button is bad."

* Every episode leaves clues whether we see them or not. Like the Dharma logo being seen on the back of the shark after The Other took Walter and shot Sawyer.

*More people are going to die.

*Everybody seems connected in some way or another, as seen in flashbacks.

*The plane was two hours off course. Before it crashed Locke was paralyzed. Afterwards he could walk. We don't know why yet, and he hasn't told anyone he was once paralyzed.

* Kate was a fugitive--she burned the house down of a stepfather who was molesting her.

* Jack and the Scottish Guy talked to eachother 15 years earlier. Then we find out Scottish Guy is the one who was in the hatch by himself for years.

* Jack had a patient who was badly hurt in a car accident and had a severed spinal cord. Then through a "miracle" it healed and she could walk. They fell in love but years later she wanted a divorce. His wife is the one who killed Shannon and Boone's parents in the car accident.

* Hurley (overweight guy) was once in a mental institution, and one of the nurses from there is a survivor of the crash!

* The French woman from Season 1 is still out there. We haven't seen her in Season 2, but one of The Others referred to another one of them as Alex, the name of the French lady's son.

Hope this helps!:cool:

heyang

Record Breaker
Wow - excellent recap Johar.

I love Lost. However, it is a show you must give 100% attention while watching - otherwise, you'll miss some details. The details don't matter at that time, but they mean something more significant later.

The flashbacks show how and why the character reacts in the present.

For example, Ana Lucia is the de facto leader of the tailies. In the episode where they showed what happened to the taiilies from the crash to present, they showed her concern for the children. When the Others took the children, she was devastated. In Ana Lucia's flashback episode, it was revealed that she was a cop who had just returned to work after being shot. Her mother was the chief of her division and wanted her to stay on desk duty. Her partner got them assigned to an easy patrol. Everyone seemed to be tip toeing around something about her. She and her partner get called on a domestic event. The couple is shouting a lot and there's a baby. Ana Lucia draws her gun and her partner has to shout at her to stand down. He's really pissed at her because there was no justification for using her gun at all. When they return to the station house, her mother tells her that they think they've caught the guy that shot her. When she goes into the room, she says she doesn't recognize him. Later that night, you see her and the guy at a bar. When he leaves, she follows him out and gets his attention. She shoots him and tells him that he was the one who shot her and killed her baby. Thus, you understand Ana Lucia's motivations in protecting the tailies, especially the children.

The flashback that revealed Kate's killing her stepfather also revealed her inner conflict by parallelling her mother's relationship with Kate's father and stepfather. On the island, Kate has feelings for both Jack (the doctor) and Sawyer (the con man). She resist her feelings for Sawyer, but her feelings for Jack don' intensify either. During her flashback, we discover that Kate's dad was a stand up good guy in the military (like Jack is the good doctor) and that Kate's stepdad is a no good alcholic bum (like Sawyer's the bad boy con artist). Kate's Mom tried to do what was better for herself by marrying the white knight, but could never resist the black knight. Thus the parallel with Kate's present tug of war between Jack and Sawyer. Kate kisses Jack in desparation to deny her feelings for Sawyer. However, she know it's not enough.

Also, in the scene where Shannon is in the hospital when her father dies, there's a shot of Hurley walking in the same corridor. Speculation is that Hurley was in the psychiatric ward at the time of Shannon's father's death.

Many of the characters have had unknown interactions and/or knowledge of each other prior to the crash. When Jin was beating the one factory manager, the TV in the background was set to the knews and showed Hurley as the lottery winner. In the final episode of the 1st season, they showed flashbacks of various airport scenes where they encountered each other. For example, Sayid asked a spoiled Shannon to watch his bag for him. She walked away from it and the authorities pulled Sayid for questioning when the found his suitcase - he almost missed the plane. However, neither seem to recall this little meeting and fell in love on the island.

There's all sort of life's little mysteries on the island.

heyang

Record Breaker
Forgot to mention.... a friend got me Season 1 on DVD. We copied them since he had never watched the show. He was home sick for several days recently and watched his personal Lost marathon. He is now hooked on the show.

Johar

Medalist
I cried when the showed one of Locke's flashback--he was looking for his biological father, wasn't he? And when Locke found him he was told nobody wanted him and to get lost, or something to that extent.

Before he got on the plane he had booked an outdoor adventure but was told to go back hme because he was in a wheelchair. So they put him on that fatal flight. He had been working in an office calling up phone sex operators, and they also rejected him.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
To the Die Hard Fans of Lost:

Thanks for the synopsis. Maybe I will check this show out again

Jhar55

Medalist
I watched Lost the first season and first few shows on the second season and well yes they picked the correct title for the show "Lost'. I just gave up because the more I watched the more lost and confused I was.
My one thought is that it's all based around that comic book.

Johar

Medalist
Charlie and Sawyer pulled off a con that took me by surprise. Su, out in her garden, was attacked. Her screams brought the attention of Sawyer and Kate, who rescued her and took her back to camp to be treated.

The episode then followed a flashback of Sawyer and his days as a con man. and boy, could he con people.

Back on the island Jack and Locke were butting heads about leadership and locking away the guns. Sawyer looked on with amusement.

At the end of the episode Sawyer came into the camp at night as Locke and Jack were fighting over where the missing guns were. Turns out Sawyer had them and he took over duty as the head leader.

After Sawyer walked into the bush he was greeted by Charlie. Turns out Charlie was the one who attacked Sun as part of the con. He wanted to get back at Locke, who had humiliated him in front of everybody by striking him several times. Sawyer knew that if they could get Jack and Locke fighting against eachother, they would be distracted long enough to get the guns. And Jack and Locke would look like idiots in front of the island gang.

Just as the episode ended, Sayid heard the Glen Miller Band playing Moonlight Serenade. Hurley wondered if they were in a different time.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I love Lost!! -- I definitely recommend newbies rent Season 1 in order to fully understand what is going on, then rent Season 2 when it comes out and start Season 3 next year fresh.