How Would You Handle this Work Situation? | Golden Skate

How Would You Handle this Work Situation?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I work in the receiving area of a College bookstore - as some here know - and lately I have been experiencing a problem with a coworker. We have always gotten along in the past but lately I have found my coworker (a male) has been very irritable and overbearing. For instance, he plays his radio so loudly that some days it gets on my nerves. He listens to a heavy-duty rock station (male oriented in format - humour). Sometimes I find the banter offensive. I usually turn it down when he goes for lunch, but today I actually turned it off. He usually does not stick around at lunch, but today surprised me when he returned and found his radio turned off. Believe me he was not a happy camper and made my afternoon not the greatest. I was glad to go home. Now I feel uncomfortable and that I may have damaged our working relationship. Any advice?

diver chick

On the Ice
The only one damaging your work relationship is him by the sounds of it!

I love having music on when I am working but seeing as my taste is not to everyone else's liking I tend to listen to it on headphones, although this is not make for the most social work environment.

Have you told him how you feel about the music? Maybe you could come to some sort of compromise, like alternate times for his music and then no music for you. If he is not willing to compromise then maybe you could just bring in your on headphones and drown out his music that way, but that doesn't really address the root of the problem which seems to be his lack of consideration.

The last resort would be to speak to management about it. If when you turn his music off he is making your life uncomfortable then that amounts to bullying and shouldn't be tolerated. But I would try talking to him first and see if you can't sort things out between you.

Norlite

On the Ice
Is it just the two of you there?
What does management say about radio useage? If it is really so loud, surely others must be bothered or else they enjoy it also
Why does he leave it on when he leaves (lunch break) Surely this must have been discussed before, if you usually turn it down?
How was your afternoon "not the greatest" If he was just grumpy, not too much you can do about it, if he was abusive, you must inform him it is not acceptable, or go to management if it doesn't stop.

millie

Medalist
I would go out and get my own music, get to work before he does, and turn it on. If he wants to play his, he will have to listen his music over yours. Or better yet, everybody get ear phones and that way both of you can listen to your own music. If that don't work, cut the cord of the radio. Just joking.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lad, what is your work situation, bosses, management, work policies??

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
Lad, have you ever asked him to turn down the music before? Until today, he might not have realized if you haven't said anything in the past. Most people respond to the 1st 'Would you mind turning it down?' At least that would take care of the volume issue.

As for the station choice, it is within your rights to tell him that you don't feel comfortable with his choice of talk show. This would be an EEOC violation since it does create a hostile environment. If you mention it to your manager, he must legally address it - otherwise, he puts himself and the college at risk of you suing them. (well, only he's liable if the college can prove that they provided training to him of their policies)

Norlite

On the Ice
heyang said:
This would be an EEOC violation since it does create a hostile environment. If you mention it to your manager, he must legally address it - otherwise, he puts himself and the college at risk of you suing them. (well, only he's liable if the college can prove that they provided training to him of their policies)

Since Lad is in Canada (I know you probaby didn't realize because her posts give no clue ;) ) The American EEOC is irrelevant. And going to her provincial Ministry would be only used as a very, very last resort. "Suing" would not be involved.

Last edited:
Tell your boss to make him leave his radio at home. He is suppose to be working, not listening to the radio. He can lsten to the radio on his own time, after he goes home.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
Tell your boss to make him leave his radio at home. He is suppose to be working, not listening to the radio. He can lsten to the radio on his own time, after he goes home.
Oh-h-h-h-h Math, you're tough!! Show him this GS site and then he can join us on the board, we'll shape him up in a hurry. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. My coworker was in a better frame of mind today and things seem to be much better. No, unfortunately there is not much to be done about the radio. He has worked in this dept. for a number of years and has had his own way pretty much. Everone who ends up working with us in receiving always comment about the radio. I do turn it down when he leaves and I play my own music when he is away.

Norlite

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. My coworker was in a better frame of mind today and things seem to be much better. No, unfortunately there is not much to be done about the radio. He has worked in this dept. for a number of years and has had his own way pretty much. Everone who ends up working with us in receiving always comment about the radio. I do turn it down when he leaves and I play my own music when he is away.

Well, whatever. Too bad that your work situation has to revolve around the moods and whims of a bully. It doesn't , there are simple remedies, but if you like it that way so be it.