Will media allow Kwan to be happy with any medal this time? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Will media allow Kwan to be happy with any medal this time?

R.D.

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
I saw on CBS the other night, some supposed skating writers and experts interviewed who said things to the effect, "everybody is waiting to see if this is where Michelle wins, if this is the Olympics she steps up and takes the gold that is up to her to either win or throw away." Those type of things make me think Americans might be in for a rude awakening if that is their true perception of current reality.

you've got to remember that this is the non-skating people's perception of things. Skating fans know better than to put Kwan high on the list for predictions. Articles have been pointing out the truth. Kwan is nowhere to be found in Ladies' medal predictions this year.

You know, it's odd. There doesn't seem to be as much hoopla this year of the Olys as there was in 2002 or even 1998. I wonder how popular it's going to be...

Red Dog said:
you've got to remember that this is the non-skating people's perception of things. Skating fans know better than to put Kwan high on the list for predictions. Articles have been pointing out the truth. Kwan is nowhere to be found in Ladies' medal predictions this year.
True words, RD. and this is the N.American press. One can imagine in other international media where she is at.

You know, it's odd. There doesn't seem to be as much hoopla this year of the Olys as there was in 2002 or even 1998. I wonder how popular it's going to be...
Without Kwan there is little story in the media. Cohen doesn't come up to the popularity of Kwan and since everyone is predicting Slutskaya (Russian) as the winner, interest has waned, imo.

Joe

millie

Medalist
Some of you guys have missed the boat. One person don't "make" the Olympics. There is just as much advertisement in the media and articles written about the athletes that are going to the Olympics than it has been in past. Just because Michelle is not in any of the predictions, doesn't mean that viewers and ratings are going down. There are hundreds of other athletes going to the Oympics and i would bet that there will be lots of viewers interested in other skaters and athletes. Those athletes that are in the media want to be there and are probably proud to represent their country. Those that are not in the media are hiding under a rock.:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
millie said:
Some of you guys have missed the boat. One person don't "make" the Olympics. There is just as much advertisement in the media and articles written about the athletes that are going to the Olympics than it has been in past. Just because Michelle is not in any of the predictions, doesn't mean that viewers and ratings are going down. There are hundreds of other athletes going to the Oympics and i would bet that there will be lots of viewers interested in other skaters and athletes. Those athletes that are in the media want to be there and are probably proud to represent their country. Those that are not in the media are hiding under a rock.:)

millie- sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was referring to in the US. I don't know about other countries, but here in the US this seems to be the situation.

millie

Medalist
Red Dog said:
millie- sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was referring to in the US. I don't know about other countries, but here in the US this seems to be the situation.

Seriously Red Dog, you have to admit that not only in Canada but in the U.S. there is just as much and probably more hype this year going into the Olympics. We get all the American stations and magazine articles in Canada. ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN and other American stations. On NBC, The Today Show, they are commentating from Turin every day. There are lots of advertisements also, different athletes every day from the American stations.:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
of course NBC is going to hype something that's going to be shown on their own network. LOL!!

I'm referring to other media, like newspapers, magazines, other TV networks, etc. Of course there is SOME hype, but there doesn't seem to be that sense of "we can't wait till it begins" like there seemed to be in 2002 or 1998. Or, of course, it could all be in my head. But I swear that there was more hype in 02...

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
of course NBC is going to hype something that's going to be shown on their own network. LOL!!

I'm referring to other media, like newspapers, magazines, other TV networks, etc. Of course there is SOME hype, but there doesn't seem to be that sense of "we can't wait till it begins" like there seemed to be in 2002 or 1998. Or, of course, it could all be in my head. But I swear that there was more hype in 02...

I understand there being a lot more hype in 2002 since it was held on American soil, but it seems there is more hype for Torino than there was for Nagano and even Athens.

Millie - What do you think of Bode Miller? He's getting bad hype and that will draw people to his skiing runs. He is the hottest athlete including figure skating in the Olys. Bad hype always works better than sugary hype.

Anyhow, I don't think you really care about hype. I certainly don't.

Joe

ladybug

On the Ice
Well, Michelle is in almost every Olympic ad on television. They still need her to get the viewers. I think there is less hype about the Turin's Olympic Figure Skating because it looks like a Russian sweep. Our only hope is Sasha and Michelle and that looks pretty slim for gold at least.

But there could be a surprise and Kimmie take the gold. 3x3s; 3A, adequate spins, Lori Nichols, the age thing. I'm not ruling her out. But all these Ladies have to face the the guns of Russia.

Joe

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Millie - What do you think of Bode Miller? He's getting bad hype and that will draw people to his skiing runs. He is the hottest athlete including figure skating in the Olys. Bad hype always works better than sugary hype.

Anyhow, I don't think you really care about hype. I certainly don't.

Joe

Joesitz, Bode is already in Turin and has his shopping cart full of the U.S. Olympic clothes. Seen him on the Today Show.:rofl: :rofl: . Not interested in Bode, just figure skating, ice hockey and CURLING(Newfoundland team in the Olympics). According to you, does that mean Michelle is bad, she's always got more hype than any other figure skater ever has.:) The best of luck to Michelle and the other skaters

Let the games begin.

That's true about the shopping carts. All the athletes are given a shopping cart and they go around and collect all their free Olympic clothes.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
I saw on CBS the other night, some supposed skating writers and experts interviewed who said things to the effect, "everybody is waiting to see if this is where Michelle wins, if this is the Olympics she steps up and takes the gold that is up to her to either win or throw away." Those type of things make me think Americans might be in for a rude awakening if that is their true perception of current reality.

My true perception of current reality is that ice is slippery, anyone can win and I think Kwan stands just as much a chance as anyone else. Just like I think Slutskaya more than likely will win, I don't think it's a "given" anymore. My specific current reality allows me to just go with the flow.:laugh:

I know plenty of skating fans, RD, that have been fans as long as I have that absolutely believe that Kwan "can" win the gold medal. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Hope is always there, ya know what I mean?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
But there could be a surprise and Kimmie take the gold. 3x3s; 3A, adequate spins, Lori Nichols, the age thing. I'm not ruling her out. But all these Ladies have to face the the guns of Russia.

Joe

If Meissner makes the top 10 she should be happy. ;)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
swannanoa54 said:
My true perception of current reality is that ice is slippery, anyone can win and I think Kwan stands just as much a chance as anyone else. Just like I think Slutskaya more than likely will win, I don't think it's a "given" anymore. My specific current reality allows me to just go with the flow.:laugh:

I know plenty of skating fans, RD, that have been fans as long as I have that absolutely believe that Kwan "can" win the gold medal. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Hope is always there, ya know what I mean?

Fair enough, but even you are not thinking she is the likely winner or the gold is "hers to lose", but listening to the networks I listened to that seemed their perception. It is like the concept of Michelle actually skating very well and not winning the gold is something that would shock and throw them into convulsions, when in fact that is very possable, and even skating very well and not winning a medal is a possability this time around.

Others are telling me that is not what they have been hearing though, so maybe I just listened to reports that reflected a minority view.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Regarless of the media, the fans or non-fans... I sincerely hope that Michelle is happy with and for herself. Because when its all said and done, that's all that really matters. Or at least should...

R.D.

Record Breaker
swannanoa54 said:

...and that's just what it is. Hope. Sure, hope is any easy thing to feel for any skater that one likes. But I'm talking realistically here. Does any skating fan REALISTICALLY believe that Kwan has a good chance for the OGM? That would be rather tough to believe. It's hard to distinguish sometimes between a hope and a prediction.

Kwan's fans (and it seems many non-fans as well) just want her to be happy no matter what the outcome. They might hope for gold but know that it's a fairly long shot at this point in time. Still, they hope, they pray, they might even eat their chicken and junior mints :laugh: but it's all good in the end.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
...and that's just what it is. Hope. Sure, hope is any easy thing to feel for any skater that one likes. But I'm talking realistically here. Does any skating fan REALISTICALLY believe that Kwan has a good chance for the OGM? That would be rather tough to believe. It's hard to distinguish sometimes between a hope and a prediction.

Kwan's fans (and it seems many non-fans as well) just want her to be happy no matter what the outcome. They might hope for gold but know that it's a fairly long shot at this point in time. Still, they hope, they pray, they might even eat their chicken and junior mints :laugh: but it's all good in the end.

Huh? Aren't all the predictions regarding the Olympics a hope? One hopes that Irina wins, another that Sasha wins, etc. Why is a hope for Michelle winning the OGM a pipe dream not based in reality? Because she's suffered from an injury and finished fourth at Worlds? Did she just start competiting at the elite level? Because she doesn't have access to the best, in terms of training, equipment, etc? Because she's proven without a shadow of a doubt that she can't compete? Or are these just the hopes of a crazed fan base outside of realistic expectations vs. a realistic fan of ice skating? Because any sensible fan of skating will tell you that you cannot dismiss an underdog just because "your" skater is the favorite.

Before someone answers the above questions with a point by point on how its impossible & a wish of ubers who are all hopped on chicken & junior mints that Kwan could win ~ please be sure to compare your answers above against who you hope will win... all of these ladies have been down a rough road with individual challenges since '02 ...

My point: stuff happens... don't be so quick to count Michelle or anybody else... ya just never know...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'll repeat once more: A PREDICTION IS NOT A HOPE.

A prediction is, who do you think is the most likely to win? A hope is, who do you WANT to win? In many cases both might lead to the same skater. In all other cases, the two answers will be different. It's not necessarily the end but the means. What I mean by that is that it's not necessarily which skater you are rooting for, but which skater do you a)THINK will win and b) WANT to win.

A few may very well think MK might win. But is MK more likely to win than say, Irina? Or Shizuka? probably not, no matter who you ask.

Yes, stuff happens. But this is NOT about counting MK out- you should know by now- it's about hopes vs. predictions. IMO it's a long shot for her to WIN- not necessarily to medal. Doesn't mean it can't happen. It's just not something you'd want to bet your life on. (or maybe so?)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I'll repeat once more: A PREDICTION IS NOT A HOPE.

A prediction is, who do you think is the most likely to win? A hope is, who do you WANT to win? In many cases both might lead to the same skater. In all other cases, the two answers will be different. It's not necessarily the end but the means. What I mean by that is that it's not necessarily which skater you are rooting for, but which skater do you a)THINK will win and b) WANT to win.

A few may very well think MK might win. But is MK more likely to win than say, Irina? Or Shizuka? probably not, no matter who you ask.

Yes, stuff happens. But this is NOT about counting MK out- you should know by now- it's about hopes vs. predictions. IMO it's a long shot for her to WIN- not necessarily to medal. Doesn't mean it can't happen. It's just not something you'd want to bet your life on. (or maybe so?)

No, in figure skating a prediction is a hope with more syllables - 20 years as a skating fan has taught me that... but whatever. You say Shizuka, I say DivaKwara at the end of the day, we're all talking about hope.

And while you might be willing to bet your life on the outcome of a skating competition, I will have to respectfully decline your offer ~ since victory on February 23rd has little to do with me, so why bet the farm?;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I must respectfully disagree with you. To predict something (whether it's an outcome, the weather, or what might happen next) takes thought, logic and analysis. Maybe all it takes is that "gut" feeling. Hoping something will happen is going with your emotions and totally disregarding logic. Man, if predictions really were hopes...every day would be a warm, sunny day!