Russian article on Irina (not good news) | Golden Skate

Russian article on Irina (not good news)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
http://www.dni.ru/news/sport/2006/1/30/76771.html

New article found while browsing around FSU... appartnely Irina has been extremely sick with flu-like symptoms and a 104 degree temperature... I cannot read Russian and the babblefish translation is too bizarre for words, but I'm hoping some other posters can provide better insight into her condition...

Again, I say, life is so not fair... :no:

Here's sending Irina good vibes for a speedy recovery...

nymkfan51

Medalist
I wish her all the best.
Thankfully, the ladies event is last, so she still has some time to recover and get some training in.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
I wish her all the best.
Thankfully, the ladies event is last, so she still has some time to recover and get some training in.

I totally agree... what the heck is going on this season?!?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kwanford Wife said:
I totally agree... what the heck is going on this season?!?
As a figure skating fan, you should be used to the roller coaster rides. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee ;)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Translation

Slutskaya is again under the doctors' care
12:56 / January 30

In 2005, Irina Slutskaya became the winter sports representative to be named one of the top ten athletes of Russia. Once the skater, accompanied by the President of the Russian Figure skating Federation Valentin Piseev, appeared at the "Silver Doe" award ceremony which has been instituted by the Federation of Sports Maganizes of Russia, she immediately found herself in a bear hug of Galina Gorohova who now heads the Russian Athletes Union.

Close to the stage, the seven time European champion bumped into the head of the Russian Olympic Committee Leonid Tyagachev, and sat down in the first row close by. Despite the tradition that the winners receive their awards in the form of the silver doe figurine in alphabetical order, the organizers started off by inviting Slutskaya up on stage.

"I am very proud to be here", said Ira hugging her award. "I promise to win something else. Just give your fingers crossed for us!" with that, the famous athlete was gone from the ceremony.

On the eve of the ceremony, Irina got a temperature of 40 (104F). Zhanna Gromova's student managed to lower her temperature, but only agreed to come to the Olympic Committee event if she'd be awarded first, writes "Zhizn'" magazine. As it turns out, it's still the after effects of the flue that Irina suffered from during the Russian Nationals. It seems that skipping Kazan' and staying in bed instead, she managed to get back on her feet. So much so, that in January she brillliantly won the European Championships. Irina won the title of the best lady skater of the Old World for the seventh time, beating the records of two great athletes - Sonia Henie and Katarina Witt.

However, after returning from Lyon Slutskaya had to again go to the doctors, who prescribed more bed rest. By the way, the doctors are still ambiguous about methods for treating vice-champin of 2002 Olympics.

"I am the only one who should know how to treat Irina", said the figure skating team doctor Victor Anikanov. "I wouldn't want to talk about Irina's health. It's not the nicest conversation. The Olympics, after all, are just around the corner. Trust me, I'll do all I can to get the athlete back to her full strength".

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
One thing I know about lady skaters is that they're all tough (think Irina, Tanja Szewczenko...). I hope Irina gets well very soon so that she (and the others as well) have the performance of their lives!

Here's to a ladies' competition that we will all enjoy!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
As a figure skating fan, you should be used to the roller coaster rides. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee ;)

You're right... but come on!!! This is getting to be a bit much! :laugh:

I know Irina has a cronic disease and that fans have been worried about this type of setback all year... Kwan's injuries have been discussed & analyzed up down & sideways... Divakwara looks like she'd rather have a root canal than skate... Sasha seems to have lost that arrogant spunk that was the one reason I even watched her.... Miki looks panic stricken most times on the ice... The one skater who looks happy on the ice isn't old enough to compete in Italy... I'm totally into ice dancing & men's skating...

I swear this year is stranger than strange!

But my personal angst is nothing... Here's sending prayers out to Irina, Michelle, and all the rest!!

(Dear Skate Gods, I promise to be good if you make it all go away!:bow: :bow: )

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Slutskaya is again under the doctors' care
12:56 / January 30

In 2005, Irina Slutskaya became the winter sports representative to be named one of the top ten athletes of Russia. Once the skater, accompanied by the President of the Russian Figure skating Federation Valentin Piseev, appeared at the "Silver Doe" award ceremony which has been instituted by the Federation of Sports Maganizes of Russia, she immediately found herself in a bear hug of Galina Gorohova who now heads the Russian Athletes Union.

Close to the stage, the seven time European champion bumped into the head of the Russian Olympic Committee Leonid Tyagachev, and sat down in the first row close by. Despite the tradition that the winners receive their awards in the form of the silver doe figurine in alphabetical order, the organizers started off by inviting Slutskaya up on stage.

"I am very proud to be here", said Ira hugging her award. "I promise to win something else. Just give your fingers crossed for us!" with that, the famous athlete was gone from the ceremony.

On the eve of the ceremony, Irina got a temperature of 40 (104F). Zhanna Gromova's student managed to lower her temperature, but only agreed to come to the Olympic Committee event if she'd be awarded first, writes "Zhizn'" magazine. As it turns out, it's still the after effects of the flue that Irina suffered from during the Russian Nationals. It seems that skipping Kazan' and staying in bed instead, she managed to get back on her feet. So much so, that in January she brillliantly won the European Championships. Irina won the title of the best lady skater of the Old World for the seventh time, beating the records of two great athletes - Sonia Henie and Katarina Witt.

However, after returning from Lyon Slutskaya had to again go to the doctors, who prescribed more bed rest. By the way, the doctors are still ambiguous about methods for treating vice-champin of 2002 Olympics.

"I am the only one who should know how to treat Irina", said the figure skating team doctor Victor Anikanov. "I wouldn't want to talk about Irina's health. It's not the nicest conversation. The Olympics, after all, are just around the corner. Trust me, I'll do all I can to get the athlete back to her full strength".

Thank you Ptichka...

Wow... this sounds more serious than I orignally thought... very concerning and scary. I hope she's receiving proper medical care and is up & about very soon!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
thx for the translation.

Once again, I'm confident she'll be up to the challenge. The official start of the Games is only a week away, but the ladies competition is still a little less than a month away. Plenty of time to recover and train again.

Lucy25

Final Flight
It would be such a shame if Irina is sidelined in any way this close to the Olympics. I wish her a full recovery so she can give it her all.

Thanks, Ptichka. Here's the best part:

"[Thanks for the Silver Doe Award and] I promise to win something else!" :rock: :rock: :rock:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Once again, I'm confident she'll be up to the challenge. The official start of the Games is only a week away, but the ladies competition is still a little less than a month away. Plenty of time to recover and train again.

Actually, the ladies SP is just 19 days from now.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I understand Russian very well and when while I was reading this, I really was worried...I just hope she will get well because she is The Champion and she deserves this OGM more then anyone! Good luck Ira!!!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It sounds as if Irina is feeling symptoms of her underlying disease. The doctors will probably have to put her on heavier dosages of prednisone, but there is a balance for Iriina---heavy doses make her gain weight and sap her stamina.

I think Irina will be well enough to compete at Torino but the question is whether she will skate as well as she did earlier this season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
Actually, the ladies SP is just 19 days from now.

Still close to three weeks. Still a long time...still enough time to make a recovery and get back lost training time.

P.S. My numbers are a little off, I know. but I just wanted to bring the point home.

S

SkateFan4Life

I sincerely hope that Irina makes a full recovery ASAP so that she is at her best, both physically and mentally, for the Olympics. The woman is an amazing competitor, and her presence would be sorely missed.

All the best to you, Irina. Take care of yourself, and get well !!

kyla2

Final Flight
Irina

I wish her the very best and perfect health for the Olympics. She deserves it by any measure. It would be truly a cruel twist of fate for her not to be able to compete, or compete well, because of an exacerbation of her illness or the flu. She has fought back so well and for so long, here is hoping for a full recovery.