Will Tim Goebel still be known as the Quad King? | Golden Skate

Will Tim Goebel still be known as the Quad King?

Amber11

Rinkside
Or will his legacy be, used to be the quad king who lost it some how. I really wonder what happened to Tim and his consistency. He used to be a consistent skater, if nothing else. I feel that his whole career was geared towards the quad, beginning at a very young age. When, the rules changed to COP, he could not adjust because his spins and artistry was never really focused on as a child when he was with Carol Jenkins ( I think that was his coach). What a shame to loose his signature move. What will people remember most. Will they say remember Tim Gobel the quad king, or _______. Fill in the blank. I really feel bad for him.

Thanks

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think "Quad King" is something like "Miss USA" the crown gets passed whether the one holding the title likes it or not... so no I don't think he'll be remembered forever as teh quad King

I think his troubles will be remembered far longer, unfortunately, than his triumphs... to most

I will always remember Tim as the skater who may not have had the most lyrical style, but none the less had his heart in it... maybe not so much at the end... but *shrugs* he's still one of the best in my eyes

Last edited:
Amber - If you were familiar with Goebel's career as you say, you would know that in 2004, he was skating with a misalignment of his spine and a second set of boots which were as irregular as the first pair. At the Nats he could hardly do a waltz jump.

He had at least 2 kinds of quads certified in international competitions, hence the tacked on slogan. I don't believe anyone in figure skating has two kinds of quads at the moment. Let's see what happens in the Olys for a new quad king, if you must have one. I, for one, appreciate good figure skating beyond quads.

Joe

Amber11 said:
What will people remember most. Will they say remember Tim Gobel the quad king, or _______. Fill in the blank. I really feel bad for him.Thanks
I will remember his 2003 Worlds where his silver medal arguably should have been gold.

Joe

Antilles

Medalist
I don't think he'll retain the title, because it's already been used for more than one skater. In the mid-90s, Elvis Stojko was the quad king, for being the first to land it in combination, to do it with a triple, and being the most consistent with it. I'm sure it will be passed on again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Antilles said:
I don't think he'll retain the title, because it's already been used for more than one skater. In the mid-90s, Elvis Stojko was the quad king, for being the first to land it in combination, to do it with a triple, and being the most consistent with it. I'm sure it will be passed on again.

Was Kurt ever given the title, or no since he only did them when inspired? (I still think he gets it for all time after hitting it out of the blue in 97-98)

S

SkateFan4Life

I think Timothy Goebel will be remembered as the "American Quad King", as the first American to land multiple quads in competitions.

Sadly, I think skating fans will also remember that the quad was also his primary undoing - all the injuries he sustained in training eventually negated his ability to land the quad. Without his signature jump, he simply wasn't competitive with the top men.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I will remember his 2003 Worlds where his silver medal arguably should have been gold.

Joe

I won't. I'll recall that he had the skate of his life, but most definitely deserved silver. :)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, Tim will be remembered for his backbone. Not merely the mis-alignment in his spine, but for his attitude -- saying that he was glad that Todd E won his last Nats in '02; admitting that his 2003 Nats FS was horrible, but coming back fighting at Worlds. He had grace and guts, and IMO, the combination will stand him in better stead for a longer period of time than his quads!

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
I will remember him as the guy who, after skating poorly in his final nationals, said that he had "wasted" the last four years of his life. Compare him to Ben Ferriera who also skated poorly in his last nationals, got a standing ovation anyway, and then said that "it was all worth it" after he finished. I like the second ending much better!

Antilles said:
Do you really worry about that unofficial title? Is it so important?

Skatefan4life - It was not multiple quads. It was different quads. That's a big difference where skaters are doing quad toes only. I would like to see someone do a quad sal, quad lutz, quad flip also. Then if you must have a quad king, that skater would be a Quad King.

Schmuzzy - Do you have a reference to that remark by Goebel?

Joe

curious

Final Flight
PrincessLeppard said:
I won't. I'll recall that he had the skate of his life, but most definitely deserved silver. :)

Yes,a silver was a tremendous accomplishment for someone who was only a good jumper. He had no artistry presence and a horrible posture,but that was not Timothy's fault. Is so very funny to hear people constantly harping about artistry and good posture think Tim(someone who clearly lacks all those ingredients in his skating) was robbed of gold lol!:biggrin:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Shmuzzy said:
I will remember him as the guy who, after skating poorly in his final nationals, said that he had "wasted" the last four years of his life. Compare him to Ben Ferriera who also skated poorly in his last nationals, got a standing ovation anyway, and then said that "it was all worth it" after he finished. I like the second ending much better!

Oh, I don't know... I believe Tim had every right to make that comment. He was terribly disappointed and had every right to be... I will always remember Tim as the Quad King and for being so supportive of Angela after her mom's terrible death.

Dear, dear curious - You are my favorite Russia Forever poster. There are many others but not as clear cut as you.:bow:

I was never a fan of Tim. I was in Washington DC for that Men's Final. I watched a subpar performance by your favorite. He had several flaws in his program. He was held up. Tim was better - not by much - but enough to win the gold medal in many opinions of spectators who were there.

At this point we must agree to disagree. :agree:

Joe

I will remember Tim for being so supportive of Angela Nikodinov at 2005 Nationals, when Angela lost her mother. Tim does not dissemble or hide his emotions. Good for him.

MM

curious

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Dear, dear curious - You are my favorite Russia Forever poster. There are many others but not as clear cut as you.:bow:

I was never a fan of Tim. I was in Washington DC for that Men's Final. I watched a subpar performance by your favorite. He had several flaws in his program. He was held up. Tim was better - not by much - but enough to win the gold medal in many opinions of spectators who were there.

At this point we must agree to disagree. :agree:

Joe

You don't say lol! The fact that I like the Russian skaters MORE does not make me less AMERICAN than you,so let's put this silly argument to rest cause I have better things to do than get into endless pointless discussions with you about which skaters I like or don't like. Like you said,let's agree to disagree biggrin: Now you can move on to the other Russian posters who don't agree with you bye lol!

Last edited:

pollyls

Rinkside
I agree with Joe

Joesitz said:

Joe

I agree with Joe; Tim should have won 2003 Worlds. :clap: