Best Unknown Music This Season | Golden Skate

Best Unknown Music This Season

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Let's just have a thread where we give props to those skaters who skated to music that isn't known to be skated very much, well ones that picked good music anyway.

Here are two pieces I found to be beautiful:

Miki Ando's SP "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence"

Yan Liu's SP "Valley of the Red River"

What are some of the best music that you heard this season that's also not the same ol' same ol'?

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
I like Joannie Rochette's SP choice "Like A Prayer". I wasn't sure at first, but now that I have seen/heard it 3 times I really like it!

I also really like Meagan Duhamel's SP choice "Croatian Rhapsody". I have no idea if it is popular or not because I have never heard it before this year, but I think it is an excellent choice for her style of skating.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I really wish Joannie would've tooken a REAL chance and skated to the pop version of the music...the way it was really intended to sound. I'm sure there were instrumental versions of Madonna's hit out there.

Shanti

On the Ice
Some more interesting music choices:

Kerrs' FD
DelSchoes FD
Grebenkina/Azrojan FD ("Govinda Jai Jai")

lulu

Final Flight
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Let's just have a thread where we give props to those skaters who skated to music that isn't known to be skated very much, well ones that picked good music anyway.

Here are two pieces I found to be beautiful:

Miki Ando's SP "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence"

Yan Liu's SP "Valley of the Red River"

What are some of the best music that you heard this season that's also not the same ol' same ol'?

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" is a wonderful piece of music. :rock:

CDMM1991

Medalist
An unknown piece of music that didn't work, in my opinion, is Emanuel Sandhu's original composition that he is skating to for his long program this year. It is very strange, and yet very indistinct. It doesn't give him any strength, or showcase HIS strengths. Oh well. Emanuel is, and will always be, Emanuel.

Marcoux and Buntin's original composition that they're skating to for they're long program, on the other hand, is a very beautiful piece of music, and suits them nicely.

Lanie

On the Ice
Kerrs FD = awesome.

I can't really think of anything else right now, heh. I do like Michelle's LP music (curious to see what she does with it!) though I'm not sure if it would be unknown.

geoskate

On the Ice
Dube and Davison are skating to George Gershwin's 7th Concerto in D major in their long program. I had never seen anyone skate to that before. I works really well for them, IMO.

I also agree that Marcoux/Buntin's original composition works well for them.

Zhang/Zhang's long program music is listed as "The Offspring of Dragons". I don't think anyone has ever skated to that. I can't actually remember what it sounds like or what their long program looks like, so maybe that music doesn't work as well as they had hoped.

Savchnenko/Szolkowy from Germany skate to "Souvenir" by Jean-Michel Jarre for their short program. Although other skaters have used other music by Jarre (Ilia Kulik had a wonderful short program to something by Jarre) I don't think I have heard this particular music before. This music works extremely well for them, IMO.

Inoue/Baldwin's long program is selections from Dmitri Shostakovich. We don't hear too much of his music in figure skating. I think this music works for them.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Maxwell and Traxler FD

Absolutely fantastic music - Iranian Folk Dance by Bjan Mortazavi. Such beautiful music.

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
I hear some Russian Junior skater is using Avenged Sevenfold "Bat Country" as a free-skate.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
geoskate said:
Dube and Davison are skating to George Gershwin's 7th Concerto in D major in their long program. I had never seen anyone skate to that before. I works really well for them, IMO.
Hmmm, I think that piece, as titled above, doesn't even exist! ;) Dube/Davison's profile on the Skate Canada site identifies their FS music as "7th Concerto for the Left Hand in D Major (George Gershwin)"

An amazon.com search turned up the following info:
"[Maurice] Ravel's Concerto for the Left Hand is one of the most brilliant and important of 20th-century concertos for any instrument. Composed for Paul Wittgenstein, a pianist who lost his right arm during World War I, there is no way by simply listening that you would ever know its secret. Both of Ravel's concertos were heavily influenced by jazz--possibly also by his acquaintance with Gershwin--and successful performances must combine his customary precision with a certain ability to "swing" the tunes."

That said, choreographer David Wilson has a knack for choosing original or lesser-known music for his skaters.