Anyone See ET Tonya Harding Segment? | Golden Skate

Anyone See ET Tonya Harding Segment?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow, the girl is looking pretty hefty and old these days. I briefly saw an interview with Tonya Harding on ET the other night. She is still to this day denying her part in the Harding-Kerrigan drama. It all seems like ancient history now, but I guess for Tonya it will always be a part of her life. I wonder if she skates at all? It's hard to fathom someone would ruin their skating career for the sake of an Olympic gold medal.

isk82

On the Ice
I saw the preview where they showed her and I can't believe that's even her. It looks nothing like her. Even if she gained weight, how could her face change that much???? I need to see pictures.

isk82

On the Ice
Oh My Gosh! I just went to the Entertainment tonight website and watched a video clip of her interview. I can't believe it how complete different her face is. And she says she's only 15-20 pounds above fighting weight - holy cow. She said she gained weight from a medication she was taking and she's lost some. But wow - I just can't believe it.

76olympics

On the Ice
Tonya was a trainwreck way before the whack; her upbringing, attitudes and associates were all liabilities for her. Her undeniable jumping talent was a ticket to better things for her , but she was never able to take that ticket to a better place. I think-bar some life-changing event which seems unlikely at this point-we will continue to see sad chapters in this book.

I know she has contributed to her woes, but you can't help but feel sad when someone fails to take advantage of their chances.

Kasey

Medalist
isk82 said:
Oh My Gosh! I just went to the Entertainment tonight website and watched a video clip of her interview. I can't believe it how complete different her face is. And she says she's only 15-20 pounds above fighting weight - holy cow. She said she gained weight from a medication she was taking and she's lost some. But wow - I just can't believe it.

Just in her defense, she mentioned prednisone, which can cause (and often does), weight gain. And keep in mind, Tonya is only about 5'1" or 5'2"....on someone that short, 20 extra pounds could look more like 40 or 50 on someone taller...

cianni

On the Ice
Ladskater

Did it ever occur to you that maybe she didnt have any part in planning the attack and she is telling the truth. I would imagine after finding out she was terrified and so much was on the line that she wasnt able to go the police and tell them what happened. I may not condone such behavior but I can understand it, that jerk she was married to was quite dangerous and would have caused her injury or said she was involved. The girl was in a no win situation. Its time to stop bashing Tonya and remember the jerk was sent to prision long after she left him. He continued to pursue criminal behavior even without Tonya and with nothing to do with her. I would say to fans LIVE HER LIFE and then TALK. Give it a rest.

Kasey

Medalist
cianni said:
Did it ever occur to you that maybe she didnt have any part in planning the attack and she is telling the truth. I would imagine after finding out she was terrified and so much was on the line that she wasnt able to go the police and tell them what happened. I may not condone such behavior but I can understand it, that jerk she was married to was quite dangerous and would have caused her injury or said she was involved. The girl was in a no win situation. Its time to stop bashing Tonya and remember the jerk was sent to prision long after she left him. He continued to pursue criminal behavior even without Tonya and with nothing to do with her. I would say to fans LIVE HER LIFE and then TALK. Give it a rest.

I think it is the continued incidents, including criminal behaviors, since she's been divorced from Gilooly, that kind of "tell" people what kind of person she is....just my thoughts.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
Wow, the girl is looking pretty hefty and old these days. I briefly saw an interview with Tonya Harding on ET the other night. She is still to this day denying her part in the Harding-Kerrigan drama. It all seems like ancient history now, but I guess for Tonya it will always be a part of her life. I wonder if she skates at all? It's hard to fathom someone would ruin their skating career for the sake of an Olympic gold medal.

Ladskater, I missed the ET segment on Tonya Harding. Yes, the Kerrigan/Harding saga does seem like ancient history, but none of us who follow figure skating can forget that the 1994 Olympics were a media circus of the first order, with "Nancy and Tonya sightings" causing the media to scamper around the Olympic village and the ice arena like a pack of hungry wolves. Ugh.

It is truly pathetic that Tonya let herself get involved with such a band of losers. Those guys were creeps of the first order, and you know the old saying, "You are judged by the company you keep." Tonya surely would have qualified for the US Olympic team in 1994, regardless of whether or not Nancy competed. Perhaps Nancy would have won (and she was the favorite) but Tonya would have had the opportunity to outskate Nancy at Lillehammer. Tonya was bound and determined to compete at the Olympics as the US champion - whatever it took to achieve that goal.

It is even more pathetic that, after all these years, Tonya still absolves herself from any responsibilty for her actions. She continues to blame everybody but herself for her ridiculous behavior - her mother (who truly was a Dragon Lady), her trailer park upbringing (please, many very nice people live in mobile homes!), her lower middle-class financial status (please, many very decent, wonderful people are not exactly rich), the USFSA (who she felt was always against her because she liked to dinker with cars, shoot pool, smoke and drink - not exactly the squeaky-clean "America's Sweetheart on Ice" image), and anybody else she could point a finger towards. :banging:

Tonya has had several other brushes with the law since Lillehammer - fights with live-in boyfriends, throwing tire irons, etc. It just goes on and on. :banging:

Frankly, Tonya needs to get herself into therapy and really come to terms with her immaturity, her lack of contact with reality, etc.

isk82

On the Ice
I wasn't criticizing her, just amazed at her appearance and how it looks nothing like her. I was thinking steroids, too, because of her asthma perhaps. I know that can make you look all puffy.

ikfan

Rinkside
meds

The meds she is on causes weight gain and is often characterized by moon faced or chipmonk cheeks and barel belly. Not a nice drug! The meds make most people very very hungry and even if the urge is not acted on the puffy still occurs.

Johar

Medalist
I've seen other people on that same drug puff up like that, too. Especially in the face.

S

SkateFan4Life

Taking these meds is yet another indication that Tonya has yet to get her head straightened out. Frankly, I simply cannot find a shread of sympathy for her. She's made nothing but rotten decisions her entire life. At the age of 35, it's probably going to be her life story.

Kasey

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
Taking these meds is yet another indication that Tonya has yet to get her head straightened out. Frankly, I simply cannot find a shread of sympathy for her. She's made nothing but rotten decisions her entire life. At the age of 35, it's probably going to be her life story.

Excuse me? Taking meds for a physical and potentially deadly ailment, asthma, indicates to you that she's a loser? Nice compassion and sympathy. No, you don't have to like her, or anything she's done in her life. But how you can say that the MEDS is an indication of her being a flake is beyond me.