Michelle | Golden Skate

Michelle

kyla2

Final Flight
Dare I ask what is on everyone's minds? Does anyone know how Michelle is doing so far? If anyone has a clue, please share it with us.

mzheng

Record Breaker
kyla2 said:
Dare I ask what is on everyone's minds? Does anyone know how Michelle is doing so far? If anyone has a clue, please share it with us.
Kwans run a very tight ship now, with all spying and rumores going on her, I say :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Michelle who? :p

Oh well, I assume you're referring to Kwan. MK is always one to keep things a big secret. Even her travel plans to Turin are being kept under wraps. Maybe she doesn't realize (or care) that by doing this, she tortures her own fans :laugh:

Kathy

On the Ice
Mk was so confident in her press conferences following her skate test that I just have to go with the sense that she is completely, or mostly healed and pain free. I also have to go with the feeling that her pracitces were serving her well. If this is true then I think it's good to be Michelle Kwan right now. She got thru the season, and proved herself to the committee, and she is going to Turino. She has another chance at the Gold after what was almost a season ending and perhaps career ending injury. I saw passion back in her eyes. And I didn't see much fear. I really think she has little to loose. Gold is important to her - skating all out and representing her country is important to her. If she doesn't win gold, I don't think it probably matters much to her if she's 3rd or 10th. I think she's going let it go and what will be will be. Her look of confidence in herself tells me she's doing just fine. I was soo anxious for her at Nationals last year, at world's last year, all season this year and for her skate test. Its really wierd, and it will probably change as Turino gets closer, but since seeing her after her skate test, I am not worried at all for her in Turino - despite all the evidence everyone so frequently brings up that I should be. Maybe because I feel that just making it to Turino is such an accomplishment. And maybe because I believe she could win gold and if she doesn't she will have done herself proud trying. Contrary to what some believe on the boards and in the press, I know that Michelle isn't an arogant narcissistic entitled skater, who opted out of competing at the GP this year or Nationals because she is delusional and thinks she could win the gold medal without working hard. I think she was working her *** off since July and had her dreams and training dashed by circumstances beyond her control - but didn't give up and isn't giving up and will still give it all she has to give on the heals of this adversity. Both she and Irina are amazing in their fortitude in overcoming serious health issues and persisting. I so admire them both for this - even if neither win a gold OLY medal.

How important a topic is this?

We are pretty much kept up on Irina's illness with reports coming in from time to time. But we don't know too much about her practices with these problems. It is easy to conclude it is not easy for her.

While we are not kept up on Kwan's injuries, we presume she is practicing through the pain. It is easy to conclude it is not easy for her.

How much more do we want to know about these ladies?

If anyone has more substantive informtion than conjecture about Kwan (or Slutskaya) let us hear about it.

Joe

millie

Medalist
I read over on MKF, that her camp is not letting anyone know when she is leaving for Turin because of security reasons. I was wondering if they have had a threat of somekind.

millie said:
I read over on MKF, that her camp is not letting anyone know when she is leaving for Turin because of security reasons. I was wondering if they have had a threat of somekind.
I think given the unbelieveable attack on Nancy, the stabbing of the Croatian tennis player, the killing of a Colombian socceer player, and the hatred some hold for MK, I can understand the precautionary measurs.

In fact any skater is game for an attack by someone who is out to get them.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree Joe. And besides, we don't need to know when she's leaving for Torino.

When she gets there ... she gets there. ;)

BunnieGene

Spectator
Joesitz said:
I think given the unbelieveable attack on Nancy, the stabbing of the Croatian tennis player, the killing of a Colombian socceer player, and the hatred some hold for MK, I can understand the precautionary measurs.

Joe

Not to mention the incident that occurred when she was on the ice at Worlds in 04...that alone would rattle me.

Welcome to the forum, BunnyGene. Thanks for joining us. (I'm a Tigers fan, too -- the Detroit Tigers, that is :) )

This Michelle quote was on the fron page of the "voices in the news" section of the Detoit Free Press this morning:

"Whether people think I'm the favorite, underdog, it doesn't metter because you know in your heart you tried your best."

Mathman :)

BunnieGene

Spectator
Thanks for the welcome, Mathman...I didn't realize that was my first post until after I submitted it...I've been lurking here forever.

Nice MK quote to start the day:biggrin:

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
Kwans run a very tight ship now, with all spying and rumores going on her, I say :agree:

I don't think spying on Michelle is the most important thing on the other skaters mind. By spying what will they hope to learn;that she is was really injured or that she got her 3-3 down pat. And rumors that she was injured, that she had her test skate, that she is going to the Olympics. That's all the Kwan's fans get is rumors. You talk about running a tight ship as if they were running the White House and protecting the president. What difference should it make to them if a bit of news gets out about Michelle. It's not going to make one bit of difference if they know what she is doing now or later at the Olympics. It's not going to make one bit of difference, eventually she is going to have to go out on the ice like the rest of the skaters and skate. Who will protect her then from the judges. Just my opinion.:)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, if Michelle Kwan wishes to keep her practices secret, it should be her right to do so. After all, I haven't been hearing a lot about what is happening with Sasha's practices -- and I don't know of anyone commenting on it either.

flowjo35

On the Ice
attyfan said:
IMO, if Michelle Kwan wishes to keep her practices secret, it should be her right to do so. After all, I haven't been hearing a lot about what is happening with Sasha's practices -- and I don't know of anyone commenting on it either.

ITA.

We don't know what's happening in any of the skaters camps (not just Michelle's). Some skaters have been vague about when they are leaving for the olympics and I say I do not need to know that information. The only thing I would be looking for are statements that they arrived safety and look forward to practice reports for Italy.:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:

I think team cohen also said they were keeping that under wraps. Also, Irina isn't saying anything. So this situation is not unique. Only the Japanese ladies are "broadcasting" their plans for Turin. I think they mean to make a statement.

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

ITA. Or maybe Kwan wants to make the trip to Italy without a bunch of reporters chasing her around.

On another subject, why is it always Kwan's non-fans who are most desperate to know her business?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Jimmy Hoffa said:
On another subject, why is it always Kwan's non-fans who are most desperate to know her business?

actually, I disagree. The Kwan haters are the ones who want to know where she is all the time, as well as the Kwan lovers. Her fans are the ones desparate for news. The anti-fans thrive off of being against her, therefore they're also attached to her- in the negative sense.

General skating fans want to know what's going on with all the skaters, including Kwan. JMO. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on all this.

kyla2

Final Flight
Joe

How important a topic is this? Are you kidding??? It's porbably the most important topic of the Oylmpic season. Do we have a right to know how she is doing? I don't think we have a "right" per se, but I would definitely like to know. I agree MZHeng they guard all information in the Kwan camp like nuclear secrets. I understand that when things are not going well, but I would love to have someone say anything, like "she is doing better," " landing jumps," "looks good." I tend to think that if things are going well, we will hear about it. The complete news blackout does worry me a little.
Jimmy Hoffa, you are as clueless as it gets calling me a non-fan of Michelle's. Get your facts straight before making generalizations. To others, don't get defensive everyone, I am not the enemy. I don't want details of her practices, just a general update, which I think we would all love. As for Irina, we know she is doing well now, which I am happy about for her sake. We also know Sasha is not injured, so why would we want to know how her practices are going? Enough said.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
kyla ...

I don't really feel that there is anything to worry about with Michelle. My guess is she doesn't want to be saying anything at this point ... even if she is doing well. It's so close now ... we will all know soon enough how she's doing. I take it as a good sign that the test skate went so well, and that we haven't heard of any setbacks for her.
My feeling is ... no news is good news! :thumbsup: