They weren't lying about CoP ... | Golden Skate

They weren't lying about CoP ...

CDMM1991

Medalist
It is hard on the body!

I've never been a very good spinner, though they are improving fairly steadily now, but as soon as CoP was put in the competitions in my area, everyone started twisting themselves in to new positions including myself. The inumerable amount of catch foot laybacks and donut spins I've attempted, are starting to be felt in the muscles :laugh:

I know have so much more respect for skaters like Michelle who worked and worked to improve their skating and try new things, even if they're now paying the price for it.

I have to say though, it has definitely improved my skating all around, and made me a better skater.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Yeah, for me,too. I am trying a lot of new positions in spins and also new steps and sparrows.
BTW, didn't you tell that you got level 2 for layback?

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I'm gonna move this to the Lutz Corner so the other skaters can find it easier. Good luck with your spins!! :)

Perry

Rinkside
I had to stop doing catchfoot laybacks for a week because my back started hurting so badly. The trick is to stretch your back out really well before hand (put your foot up on the boards like for a normal stretch, then turn around backward so that your foot is bent behind you on the boards with your back to the boards, lean back slowly and try to reach your head to the boards). It also helps if you wait until you're really truly warmed up (as in, you've already run through all your spins, jumps, etc) before you do them.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
It does, I think, improve one's skating and makes you think about what you are doing.

In this country, it hasn't yet been rolled out except for elite competitions, but my husband has already competed with it in dance at the ISU Adult event in Oberstdorf last summer, and this summer he is planning his first-ever free skating programme for the Mountain Cup, which will also be judged under the NJS. Obviously nobody expects too much of Bronze Men IV, but it is good to work out what he could score (which is not what he probably will!

I think it is so much better than the old system because under the old system the judges would hold up 1.8 or 2.1, or whatever, and you never really knew why - now, you look at your protocol and see exactly what was liked and what went wrong. Brilliant, and the sooner it becomes universal, the better.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Exactly. I think for the skaters, the new judging system is so much more profitable. You really can see exactly what the judges liked and didn't like and change your skating accordingly.

peachy

Rinkside
anything_for_skating said:
BTW, didn't you tell that you got level 2 for layback?
nice job getting a level 2 layback!!

yeah i wish the CoP system was being used for StarSkate competitions too... i think it is going to start to be implemented next year... or maybe the year after, im not sure

CDMM1991

Medalist
Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll get credit for it or not. The Nova Scotia judges can be pretty stubborn, but with the catchfoot I should be able to definitely get a level two, and if i can combine that with the increased speed of rotation at the end then I might even be able to get a level three!

icy fresh

On the Ice
I've been doing donut and catch-foot spins for a while, but I feel a lot more pressure to make them faster and put them in my programs. ITA I've been doing so many laybacks lately trying to get 3/4 positions out of them.

Perry

Rinkside
That's what makes me hate it (though, in regards to my layback, it's actually good, since my regular layback is a disaster). You're forced to stick so many positions in to everything (my layback, for example, is layback, sideways leaning spin, catchfoot, and my combination spin is obscenely long and complicated and full of made-up positions) that there's really no grace involved anymore. I wanted to just do a plain back camel for my solo spin (it gets one level because it enters on the back edge, but that's it), but it's not difficult enough.