Best way to learn? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best way to learn?

FauveNik

Rinkside
Sooky, JMO as a former comp skater(dance and singles) at 39 I would not attempt the ice again at my age if being off of it for a while,, you know when were young our bodies are completly different than when we are older woman and after bebe, even our feet gorw and expand (mine can barly fit into my boots anymore!). So for sure do all the gear but mostly important is the helmut! Protect your head because even on simple crossovers(though they may not be simple anymore) a bad fall back and it could do some damage.
Keep us posted!!! You give us older gals hope to return to the ice again:)
Fauve:clap:

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
FauveNik said:
Sooky, JMO as a former comp skater(dance and singles) at 39 I would not attempt the ice again at my age if being off of it for a while,,
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some of us didn't even start until we were into our 40s, or even 50s! I know several skaters who are in their 70s, many nearer 80 than 70, and one man is still a competitive ice-dancer at the age of 86.

Skating isn't just a sport for the young! Why, the other morning at our rink, the only people on the ice were middle-aged men; I doubt the youngest of them was a day less than 45!

Sooky

Spectator
Hear, hear! And that's why I love it - there can't be many sports when you can tentatively go back after a break of over 20 years and be so warmly welcomed. Whatever your level, ability or experience, there always seems to be a place on the rink for you . . . .only some of us spend more time on the floor of the rink than others!

FauveNik

Rinkside
Mrs Redboots said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some of us didn't even start until we were into our 40s, or even 50s! I know several skaters who are in their 70s, many nearer 80 than 70, and one man is still a competitive ice-dancer at the age of 86.

Skating isn't just a sport for the young! Why, the other morning at our rink, the only people on the ice were middle-aged men; I doubt the youngest of them was a day less than 45!

You obviously Missed my point or did not read my post :scratch: Im Hardly anti-age! My point was, For anyone returning to the ice after being off of it for many years,, one can NOT begin to think about returning to it and doing a double axel right off the bat! One has Good reason to wear plenty of safety gear as well as a helmut, at least until one gets their skating feet under them properly again. Thats all I was saying.
Bravo to those older skaters who most certainly are ritualistit training skaters. I hope to do that again one day,, even at my old age of 39.
Happy for you to find such hunmour in not understanding a post.
Fauve:cool:

lindasaffell

Rinkside
I misread you too, but now I understand

FauveNik said:
You obviously Missed my point or did not read my post ::

FauveNik, I was puzzling over it as well, because to me it DID sound like you were trying to say skating is only for the young, too. I understand, now, that you aren't anti-adult skaters and that you just meant we all need to walk before we try to run/axel! That's a good point! Actually it is also encouraging to me, one of those older adults who won't be doing ANY axel for a loooooong, loooooong time.

Even though I'm not ready to try any jumps or spins I enjoy VERY much reading about other adult skaters who are doing them! I would hope that we adults are not likely to be as reckless about skating as we might have been as young people. I think one of the great things about being an adult skating student, is that you respect what your body tells you while a child might ignore that.

BTW, FauveNik, that's a great BB line in your .sig!!

Linda

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Sooky, JMO as a former comp skater(dance and singles) at 39 I would not attempt the ice again at my age if being off of it for a while
I was off the ice for about 20+years (I'm 46 yrs old), and I just started skating again 2 years ago. 39 is still young!;) I just recently passed my adult pre-bronze tests and am working on my bronze tests. I can still do all my single jumps (lutz not too good) and spins (one foot, scratch, sit spin, camel spin and a so-so lay back). I can still do spiral front and back and since working on my tests my edges have improved. The one thing that I lack at my age is power and speed (so the judges tell me), but I'm working on that too.

You are never too old to skate!

FauveNik

Rinkside
Linda, so happy you got what I was trying to say,, and right on the nose too! :thumbsup:
So go forth and enjoy your skating, but as we say, prevention is better then the cure :yes:
keep us posted!
Bizsous
Fauve

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
FauveNik, what you actually wrote was
FauveNik said:
JMO as a former comp skater(dance and singles) at 39 I would not attempt the ice again at my age if being off of it for a while
Which I think you will agree does read as though you thought it a mistake for people to start on the ice (or go back to it) when they were verging on middle-age! But if I misunderstood you, I apologise