New NY Times article on Sasha | Page 4 | Golden Skate

New NY Times article on Sasha

R.D.

Record Breaker
I remember her making that comment. It was during some interview in 2002 after the Olys, I think.

tarotx

On the Ice
Well if it was after the Olympics Sasha had proven she was one of the best in the world. Either way I don't know how saying that makes her a spoiled princess. Sasha came close to beating Michelle at the 2000 nationals. She finished 3rd at at a grand prix event. She beat worlds bronze medalist Sarah at 2002 nationals.

I don't get the objection to this comment. Sasha was the number two skater in the world in 2004 and the number two skater in the world in 2005. In 2002 and 2003 she was the number four skater in the world. Isn't that "one of the best in the world?"

Speaking of which, that was a masetrful post, Rgirl. :agree:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
I don't get the objection to this comment. Sasha was the number two skater in the world in 2004 and the number two skater in the world in 2005. In 2002 and 2003 she was the number four skater in the world. Isn't that "one of the best in the world?"

Speaking of which, that was a masetrful post, Rgirl. :agree:

But the comment wasn't made in 2004 or 2005, it was made before she had had a chance to compete against the top in the world, so she really at that point had no basis for such a statement. If she made it today, I wouldn't even bat an eye, but at the time she was still "on the rise," so to speak.

Hey guys - careful about the years you bring up. rgirl doesn't like to rehash any years before 2000, which she deems requires therapy.:rofl:

Joe

dancindiva03 said:
She definitely did make that comment. My father, my sister and I all very clearly remember hearing her say it. It was before either her Olys or Worlds performance, and I KNOW she said it because I remember my dad saying "Well doesn't she sound like a spoiled little princess." I didn't tape much that season so I don't know if I have the clip around anywhere, but if there is anything I am sure of, it is that she DID say it.
I'll take your, and your family's, word for it that you heard Sasha say what you say she said. Plus we've got Red Dog in there, too, but your certainty is good enough for me. I've got things like that, too; things people say or did that are imprinted on my brain forever. :)

Looking back on my 1500 word novella (not counting the quote and info for FreeKatie), the way I wrote the part on "what Sasha said" may sound like I'm calling you a liar. I never meant that and will edit it to clarify. Sasha was getting a lot of hype back then and I'm sure very few of us heard or read everything she said.

Be that as it may, as I said, I think Sasha has had some tough beds to lie in and, IMO, she's done so without complaint, for the most part, and in the process she's also both learned and grown up a lot. Not that it's an excuse, but if you're going to say something that obnoxious on camera, better to say it as a naive 17-year-old than as a more experienced 21-year-old. Of course, better to keep your feet away from your mouth altogether, but after all, Sasha is The Bendy Girl. ;)

Actually, assuming she said that, I don't think she was wrong. Since '02, she's never finished lower than fourth at the Olympics, Worlds, or Nationals and has two World silver medals. "Definitely one of the top skaters in the world" with a record like that? I guess it depends on your POV. Anyway, I don't know but it seems like Sasha has learned that even if she thinks something about herself, she shouldn't necessarily say it to the media.

Thirty plus years ago as a dancer, on a very dinky local level and once for a national magazine, I was interviewed along with the other dancers in the company starting when I was 19, 20 years old. I know the stupid things that came flying out of my mouth as if another person was working it, so maybe I sometimes give the extra benefit of the doubt to dumb things skaters say.

I just remember how incredibly young I was and how people would imbue the stupid things I said with so much relevance, remembering things I'd said for years. When they'd say some of these things back to me I'd feel like screaming, "NO!!! That was the alien that took over my body who said that!"

Different strokes. Now let me try to edit that section so it doesn't sound like I'm the prosecuting attorney. ;)

Rgirl

Last edited: