Johnny Weir article very insightful | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir article very insightful

Taan

On the Ice
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601832.html
Like her son, who was confronted by USFSA Executive Director David Raith for what were deemed inappropriate comments during the U.S. championships, Patti Weir said she also received a "dressing down" by a figure skating official she declined to name. She said she was approached shortly after Weir had claimed his gold medal, and told to rein in her outspoken son. "They ruined my entire evening," she said. "I didn't take it with a grain of salt."

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Taan, thanks for the article, it is very insightful.
Weir seems to have only recently grown into his personality. Early in his career, he seemed overly deferential to his peers and lacking in self-confidence.
This is how I always perceived Johnny. In 2001 at the Goodwill games, you could see the talent but he seemed very shy and reserved.
"My child's not weird," he told a reporter when queried about Johnny's reputation. "Everyone else is."
I'm glad his father is sticking up for Johnny, whether Johnny is right or wrong. I think the article explains why Johnny's parents stick up for him.............and again Camille is in the picture. :laugh:

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Great article & thanks for posting...

Good for Patti! I cannot stomach people who feel compelled to sanction right & wrong for others... life's too short for that crap. I like Johnny cocain remarks & all and hope he has a great time in Italy... or at least comes home with some great shoes...

Oceanguy

Rinkside
Johnny

So the article says that he changed his long program to last year's. Sorry if this has already been announced, but I'm excited for the change. I loved last years program. I admire Johnny's attitude. I don't know exactly what was going on at last years National's, but did anyone notice the snear at Micheal Wiess while Johnny was in the kiss and cry area. Of course I don't know Micheal, but he appears to be the type who would "make fun of" Johnny or jeer him causing Johnny to dislike him. Again, this is just speculation........But, overall I really admire JW for his outspokeness and free willing demeaner!
ab

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oceanguy said:
So the article says that he changed his long program to last year's. Sorry if this has already been announced, but I'm excited for the change. I loved last years program
Yes, maybe over a week ago it was announced he would return to Otonal, last year's program.
I don't know exactly what was going on at last years National's, but did anyone notice the snear at Micheal Wiess while Johnny was in the kiss and cry area. Of course I don't know Micheal, but he appears to be the type who would "make fun of" Johnny or jeer him causing Johnny to dislike him.
I noticed that too, it was just a split second. If I remember correctly, Mike's interview talked about winning the comp and something about the youngsters. They had just shown Mike clapping for Johnny and then Johnny snearing at Mike.

Dee

Frau Muller

Final Flight
re. The Snear at Mike - Well, I suppose that ABC won't be doing any fluff pieces of Johnny showing off his babies and marital bed anytime soon! :rofl:

I LOVE the WashPost article. It explains a lot and makes me adore Johnny, his family & their ways even more. Ya gotta hand it to them -- they're a breath of fresh air in a 'country clubbish' sport that has been replete with Big Phonies for a long, long time!

GO, JOHNNY!!! WIN ONE FOR HONESTY!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't know, either Mike and Johnny are very good actors, or they really do respect each other... who knows what the "snear" really was, but I've never seen anything like that between the two (at least at the last couple of nationals lol)

I think people still stuck on the "Mike's homophobic" wagon are getting just as repetitive as some of the other age old arguments that have little to no base in reality.

as for Johnny's comments, whether he likes it or not he's a role model to young kids and anything that sounds like he's condoning drugs/alchohol is not cool. the USFSA is an organization whom he represents (again whether he likes it or not, they fund some of his training, give him medals, he should respect them). And hey, I'm of the mindset that parents should be the ones who teach their kid's tact... then again he's an adult now, but still... it wouldn't be too hard.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
"My child's not weird," he told a reporter when queried about Johnny's reputation. "Everyone else is."

:rofl: :chorus: :rofl: :chorus: :rofl: Papa Weir:rock: