Evan's Going for the Quad, and Johnny's Shutting His Mouth | Golden Skate

Evan's Going for the Quad, and Johnny's Shutting His Mouth

CDMM1991

Medalist
There's a new article on the NBC Olympics website about the US Men's figure skating team.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/figureskating/5092674/detail.html

Evan confirmed he is going to go for the quad-triple in the short, and the quad-triple-double in the long. He says he is landing them about 80% in practice at the moment. If that's true, and he lands them on the right night, he could be more of a medal threat than we think!

Lower in the article Johnny talks about trying to not say anything as controversial as he is famous for, during the Olympics. No word about the quad for Johnny.

CDMM

S

SkateFan4Life

Interesting article. Even Weir acknowledges that Plushenko is the odds-on favorite to win the men's title.

I was glad to read that Lysacek moved to a different room, away from the "slamming doors" and corridor noise. Good grief, the place sounds much like my college dorm - a place that at times was decidely noisy and not the best place to catch a good night's sleep.

I wonder how many athletes will opt to bunk outside of the Olympic Village so that they can just concentrate on their performances, get plenty of rest, and stay away from the media crunch.

Remember that at Nagano a number of athletes staying in the Village came down with the flu, and some performed at less than their best, due to the illness. When you live that close to so many people, catching a cold (or worse) is relatively easy to do.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
SkateFan4Life said:
Remember that at Nagano a number of athletes staying in the Village came down with the flu, and some performed at less than their best, due to the illness. When you live that close to so many people, catching a cold (or worse) is relatively easy to do.

Yes, one can catch flu from other people, if being in close contact with other people. Some people have more resistance, and some very little.

I believe though that catching a cold is something that one causes himself by not being careful.

If the three European aces do well in their programs and Johnny skates after them, he will attempt the quad. He will need it. Otherwise Johnny will not take the risk.

Bravo for Evan who plans to take the risk.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I look forward to seeing both bomb out, and even if they dont they still wont medal. They arent nearly as good as they think they are, especialy Evan.
:rofl:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
I look forward to seeing both bomb out, and even if they dont they still wont medal. They arent nearly as good as they think they are, especialy Evan.

Wow, that wasn't nice at all... isn't it possible to root for your favorites without being so nasty to the other skaters? When does being "realistic" cross the line? This is one of the phenomonas in skating that blows my mind, but then again, I guess during the Olympics, the gloves come off...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Kwanford Wife said:
Wow, that wasn't nice at all... isn't it possible to root for your favorites without being so nasty to the other skaters? When does being "realistic" cross the line? This is one of the phenomonas in skating that blows my mind, but then again, I guess during the Olympics, the gloves come off...

If Evan thinks taking the risk to do quads will give him the gold he isnt being even close to realistic, and if he thinks stumbling on them will only cost him the gold and simply drop him to a medal spot he is delusional. I gaurantee you he would have to have to hit two squeeky-clean programs with the quads, and hope for several other skaters to have major errors to even eke out a bronze. His coach has always annoyed the jeepers out of me, he has an inflated impression of where his skaters really stand.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
If Evan thinks taking the risk to do quads will give him the gold he isnt being even close to realistic, and if he thinks stumbling on them will only cost him the gold and simply drop him to a medal spot he is delusional. I gaurantee you he would have to have to hit two squeeky-clean programs with the quads, and hope for several other skaters to have major errors to even eke out a bronze. His coach has always annoyed the jeepers out of me, he has an inflated impression of where his skaters really stand.

Hmmmm.... I just read the whole article. My take was that Team Evan are saying that they think the quad combos are necessary to have a SHOT. Putting content in that one thinks is necessary to have a SHOT at Gold or any medal is NOT the same as saying "I think gold is mine if I do these quad combos." I guess I just interpreted the comments differently.

I was also sorry to read that you can't wait to see Johnny and Evan both bomb. My alternate universe hopes are that we see LOTS of clean skates. In a perfect competition to me, everyone would skate their best. Makes for a more exciting competition to watch - just my own opinion on "bombing."

To each his own...

DG

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Doggygirl said:
Hmmmm.... I just read the whole article. My take was that Team Evan are saying that they think the quad combos are necessary to have a SHOT. Putting content in that one thinks is necessary to have a SHOT at Gold or any medal is NOT the same as saying "I think gold is mine if I do these quad combos." I guess I just interpreted the comments differently.

I was also sorry to read that you can't wait to see Johnny and Evan both bomb. My alternate universe hopes are that we see LOTS of clean skates. In a perfect competition to me, everyone would skate their best. Makes for a more exciting competition to watch - just my own opinion on "bombing."

To each his own...

DG

If you want a U.S medal in mens you shouldnt hope for a perfect competition because it certainly wont happen in that circumstance.

Part of the article Evan says if he stumbles well you might lose a couple of places, you can still be on the podium. That pretty much reflects his stance on his postion going into Turino, and it is a deluded one that his annoying coach I am sure had a hand in convincing him in. His coach also excludes mentioning Lambiel and Weir, both who have better chances of a medal than him when listing the 4 or 5 key contenders, again demonstrating the deluded view of reality of the ever annoying Frank Carrol.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
If you want a U.S medal in mens you shouldnt hope for a perfect competition because it certainly wont happen in that circumstance.

Part of the article Evan says if he stumbles well you might lose a couple of places, you can still be on the podium. That pretty much reflects his stance on his postion going into Turino, and it is a deluded one that his annoying coach I am sure had a hand in convincing him in. His coach also excludes mentioning Lambiel and Weir, both who have better chances of a medal than him when listing the 4 or 5 key contenders, again demonstrating the deluded view of reality of the ever annoying Frank Carrol.

Dear Slutskayafan21:

Please go have another cup of coffee... I haven't seen / read you this cranky in awhile... Snarking at skaters isn't going to help one iota on the outcome on your perfect scenario of a Russian sweep... Stop tempting the "skate gods :bow:" by wishing bad on others. Rather fill yourself with positive energy and focus that towards those you root for and relax... now breath... its just figure skating sweetie!

(my yoga classes are paying off;) )

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:

I'm selfishly more interested in an exciting competition wish lots of great skates than any particular skaters getting a medal. While it would be nice for one of the US men to medal, I'd prefer an exciting competition. And there are lots of non-US men that I really like, including Buttle, Lambiel, Joubert (except his horrifying costumes!), Plush and others.

DG

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:

:sheesh: and your comment wasn't half as funny as you think it was.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Kwanford Wife said:
Dear Slutskayafan21:

Please go have another cup of coffee... I haven't seen / read you this cranky in awhile... Snarking at skaters isn't going to help one iota on the outcome on your perfect scenario of a Russian sweep... Stop tempting the "skate gods :bow:" by wishing bad on others. Rather fill yourself with positive energy and focus that towards those you root for and relax... now breath... its just figure skating sweetie!

(my yoga classes are paying off;) )

Actually your statements show how little you really know about me. I would be very happy if both Plushenko and Totmianina/Marinin lost the Oly golds since I am not a fan of either of them. The reality is both are clear favorites, and Plushenko is a virutal lock. Believe me if I really was a big Plushenko fan, and I am not, I have spoken out on his overscoring on PCS and spins before, I would be more likely to snark at his real threats like Lambiel, Buttle, and Joubert than wasting my time on his wannabee challengers like Weir and Lysacek. :rofl: In reality though I would be much happier with Lambiel or Buttle winning than Plushenko but I have conceded it wont happen. If I were a Plushenko fan I wouldnt even be worried about them, let alone worried about the likes of Evan Lysacek however.

slutskayafan21 said:
I don't think he said anything about the gold but maybe I read wrong. I just read he is planning to do a quad. Many of the men acknowledge only 2nd and 3rd places are open. Sandhu, Takahahi, Li, as well as Joubert, Lambiel all have a quad and are looking for a place on the podium. Why not let anyone let alone Lysacek execute a quad in his program.

Plushenko appreciates competitors who take risks even if you don't.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
um... yeah so Evan and Johnny aren't threats but Jeff Buttle is???????? Did I miss a memo, what makes him THAT much more of a threat????

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Actually your statements show how little you really know about me. I would be very happy if both Plushenko and Totmianina/Marinin lost the Oly golds since I am not a fan of either of them. The reality is both are clear favorites, and Plushenko is a virutal lock. Believe me if I really was a big Plushenko fan, and I am not, I have spoken out on his overscoring on PCS and spins before, I would be more likely to snark at his real threats like Lambiel, Buttle, and Joubert than wasting my time on his wannabee challengers like Weir and Lysacek. :rofl: In reality though I would be much happier with Lambiel or Buttle winning than Plushenko but I have conceded it wont happen. If I were a Plushenko fan I wouldnt even be worried about them, let alone worried about the likes of Evan Lysacek however.

I'm feelin' you and understand where you're coming from and I probably did make a mistake regarding your dream of a Russian sweep; I'm not perfect and will conceed that...

My post was in response to the tone of your post... While you are always up front and totally entertaining to read, that post about Johnny & Evan bombing was a bit out there... something that one wouldn't expect from you, espcially if it didn't concern Irina... almost like someone was posting under your screen name... Just appeared that you were a bit cranky and needed coffee.

As for Plushys fans (which I am...) I would encourage them not to get too hyped on pre-Olympics buzz and continue to wish him luck because there are no guarntees other than Joubert will be the most beautiful man competing.

Jhar55

Medalist
Missed the story on Evan, I'll have to go back and check.
Did read the one on Johnny where he was talking about his room having to climb stairs has no one to turn his bed back :bow: :bow: ,and that it's not soft and fluffy the way he likes. Where'd he think he was going to stay 5star hotel? :rofl:

Serena

Rinkside
slutskayafan21 said:
You should know by now that there are no guarantees- after all, if Sarah Hughes had thought the way you do, "Oh, well, I won't win, so I'll just give a half-@$$ed performance- screw the triple-triple. I'm not going to win, so it doesn't matter", she wouldn't have won the Olympics.