American Idol - Anyone Watching? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

American Idol - Anyone Watching?

mike79

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
Dee - I think Mandisa has a great career as a Gospel singer... so I see the Christian connection
she's also a devout Christian, so I think that's where a lot of people are getting that

Mandisa got a lot of flack online last week when an article outted her as "anti-gay" because she holds Christian Author and Speaker Beth Moore in high regard. The article was hugely biased and one sided, and took everything Moore teaches out of context. It was poor reporting on the author's part but (go figure) people took it as total truth and the hating began. I think that's one of the reasons Mandisa finally found herself in the bottom 3. A lot of "fans" dropped her from one stupid article.

Add to the fact that her voice is definitely not for country and you get her voted off...

personally I had no feelings one way or the other. I'm not into a lot of Gospel music... so *shrugs* now Christian Pop I can handle lol

Queen will definitely be interesting

the themes this year suck (and when they don't the song choices do)

I had heard about that as well Toni, but I never read the article so I can't really comment on it.

I was expecting Mandisa to go this week after listening to her butcher Shania Twain. People have given Shania a lot of flack for her singing but when you hear others singing her stuff it proves what a great voice she has (or at least shows that the songs are geared specifically for her voice). Add to the fact that Mandisa hadn't sung very well for a couple of weeks it was just a matter of time. Although she seemed like one of the favorites earlier in the comp. she hasn't been pimped like some of the others (Chris, Katharine, Taylor, Kellie).

I'm really looking forward to next week. I love Queen's music and Freddy Mercury had one of the greatest voices in pop/rock history. This show has trainwreck written all over it. For some reason I don't think this group of singers is very good compared to seasons past. IMO, no group will ever touch seasons 1 and 2.

As for song choices next week I already have a couple in mind:

Chris: Who Wants to Live Forever

Bucky: Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Katharine: The Show Must Go On

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
merrywidow said:
In reply to your question: I don't believe any of the women are going to win this year. It's past time for AI to reward a male singer. They've had 3 female winners & 1 male. Do I think AI manipulates votes? Yes, I do.

Then AI would probably want to keep the ladies winning... Ruben and Clay are where doing what right now??? While Kelly's winning awards, as is 'Tasia... and Carrie's been on all of the top Country charts shows networks etc...

Do I want a guy to win, heck ya... do I think he'll win much after his debut... heck no

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Mike.........I agree. The talent in season one was so deep that anyone of the top four could have won hands down in season three, to me, the weakest season yet. I think only Chris and Katherine have star potential. In AI's search for well-rounded talent contestants, they have compromised, in my opinion, the contestant who has true talent, uniqueness, and quite frankly, visual appeal. If all we had was radio and CD's to listen to, visual appeal would not be an issue. But we don't. There are concerts and television where the visual mixes with the music and it does, make a difference............42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think American Idol is very much about image. It's almost like they are more interested in how the performers look than the sound of their vocals. I find this topic about image quite interesting. In Canada we have Jan Arden - who is a fabulous singer/song writer. She says she was told by the American music industry that basically if she did not lose weight she would not be able to sell her recordings in the States or make it to the top. She said with that she headed back to Canada and has hit the charts here despite her "battle of the bulge." Jan is a very talented lady and is very appreciated at home.

I think the American entertainment industry gets too caught up in the image thing. Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera don't do a thing for me. I'll take a Jan Arden anyday.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad........I agree, it is greatly the image projected. Take Constantine from last year. I enjoyed his singing voice and he did Freddy Mercury from Queen as well as anyone, but many people couldn't get past what they called his "smarmy" eyes when he looked into the camera. They never got past his voice only the image he projected.............42

ranjake

Final Flight
show 42 said:
Lad........I agree, it is greatly the image projected. Take Constantine from last year. I enjoyed his singing voice and he did Freddy Mercury from Queen as well as anyone, but many people couldn't get past what they called his "smarmy" eyes when he looked into the camera. They never got past his voice only the image he projected.............42
it's cool if you're not a con fan...but he STILL has lots of fans. he also has :a. a record contract with a major label b. a film role upcoming where he also does some music c. a deal with abc and gramnet for television. con's doing REALLY well. i personally LOVE his eyes! anyway...i guess that's why they have lots of different (very different!) types of people on idol!

on another note, i heard that a racial slur was yelled from the audience at mandisa at last weeks result show? i didn't notice this....did any of you guys??? so sick if it's true....

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Queen night...NOooooooooooo!

There's an hour of my life I'll never get back.
As a huge Queen fan - in fact, they were my very first concert, back in the latter Dark Ages - I expected to hate last night's show, and I wasn't disappointed. What I didn't expect was to hate it as vehemently as I did. You know what the worst part was? Seeing Brian May, guitar deity of my youth, suddenly resembling Richard Simmons. It hurt me. It hurt me bad...
And then there was the singing. There were a lot of song choices that made me ask "why?", but none more than Ace. He's the only man in the competition that has a falsetto, why oh why did he choose "We Will Rock You"? He probably could have done "Somebody to Love" from the beginning, rather than Elliott's cherry-picking the song for the parts in his range. I'm not going to go into individual critiques, but I will say that the only contestant I could have tolerated singing her song from beginning to end was Paris, so I voted for her.
Poor Simon looked like he wanted to hide under the table.
Rave

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Ravyn Rant said:
There's an hour of my life I'll never get back.
As a huge Queen fan - in fact, they were my very first concert, back in the latter Dark Ages - I expected to hate last night's show, and I wasn't disappointed. What I didn't expect was to hate it as vehemently as I did. You know what the worst part was? Seeing Brian May, guitar deity of my youth, suddenly resembling Richard Simmons. It hurt me. It hurt me bad...
And then there was the singing. There were a lot of song choices that made me ask "why?", but none more than Ace. He's the only man in the competition that has a falsetto, why oh why did he choose "We Will Rock You"? He probably could have done "Somebody to Love" from the beginning, rather than Elliott's cherry-picking the song for the parts in his range. I'm not going to go into individual critiques, but I will say that the only contestant I could have tolerated singing her song from beginning to end was Paris, so I voted for her.
Poor Simon looked like he wanted to hide under the table.
Rave

I too was asking why as far as Queen. I think Queen is very difficult mixing operatic with rock and they have to make it challenging. I reluctantly have to say Paris really wowed me. She is just so young. However, Kellie impressed me with her crossover abilities but her figure is just too cute for fans to let go of right away. In the end, I voted for Ace because he took a chance, gave it his all, and a rock star through and through and he can sing.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Simon was right on!! The only one who impressed me somewhat was Kellie, Katherine, not so much at all. The guys hmmmmmm well let's say I was not inspired at all. I forget the guy's name with the gray hair, who said he could dance?? I loved Simon's comment..........now that was just ridiculous and IMHO, it was.

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I must admit that while I love American Idol and Queen, I didn't like the fusion of the two... I sat there the entire hour going "WTF?!" My son actually said to me: "Mommy, it's not nice to be so mean!" Terrible... That was worse than going to the Nordstrom's shoe sale & they have NOTHING in your size... And will people PLEASE stop voting for Paris... she's so annoying. As for Ace, let's just say that he finally cured me once & for all of my "Ace Swooning" ailment... he's still hot to death though...

And what was up with all the men wearing eyeliner?!?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Ravyn Rant said:
There's an hour of my life I'll never get back. As a huge Queen fan - in fact, they were my very first concert, back in the latter Dark Ages - I expected to hate last night's show, and I wasn't disappointed. What I didn't expect was to hate it as vehemently as I did. You know what the worst part was? Seeing Brian May, guitar deity of my youth, suddenly resembling Richard Simmons. It hurt me. It hurt me bad...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
I must admit that while I love American Idol and Queen, I didn't like the fusion of the two... I sat there the entire hour going "WTF?!" My son actually said to me: "Mommy, it's not nice to be so mean!" Terrible... That was worse than going to the Nordstrom's shoe sale & they have NOTHING in your size... And will people PLEASE stop voting for Paris... she's so annoying. As for Ace, let's just say that he finally cured me once & for all of my "Ace Swooning" ailment... he's still hot to death though...

And what was up with all the men wearing eyeliner?!?

Queen was very big on eyeliner back in the day; I'm sure it was a tribute.
I just kept howling, "NOOOOooooooooo!!!" at the TV, myself. I knew it was going to be bad. I just didn't know how bad.
It's anybody's guess who's going tonight, IMHO.
Does anyone know what next week's theme is, just in case I need to stock up on stomach remedies beforehand?
:laugh:
Ravyn

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I had to keep turning the channel last night because I was so embarrassed for them. The only one who made me stop and listen was Katherine. She sang pretty good. Simon was right who ever did the lighting made her much more outstanding and believeable. Go Katherine!:rock:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RE: guys with eyeliner... this is around the time of the competition where the make up artists start to make the guys look pretty... Ace has been using the eyeliner for several weeks already because it "brings out his eyes" according to the head stylist (it's in this week's people mag btw )

as for last night... I enjoyed it... I'm not emotionally connected to Queen, but I do like some of their songs.

I found Taylor to be absolutely hilarious with his dancing. It brought the fun back into his singing and he can certainly entertain. Was it right for Queen? I don't know, I've always found them to be ridiculous when watching their stage performances so... *shrugs*

Katherine, I thought, was great last night. One of the better vocals. Chris still does nothing for me but I loved the fur on his face. Ace was a snooze. Bucky did surprisingly well, as did Kellie (I'm not a big fan of the "most loved song ever"). the rest are forgetable

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
There has got to be better undiscovered talent out there than AI is putting through. I think the show has become so hoakie the great talents are not even trying out.

Going in last night my expectations were low. I mean we all knew that we weren't going to see the second coming of Freddie Mercury. I was pleasantly surprised by Kellie's performance. Not sure what Simon meant about her appearance looking like night of the living dead or whatever his comment to her was. Does he not remember some of Freddie's "looks"? Kellie needs to sing and then keep her mouth shut. I hope folks don't think that all G.R.I.T.S. (girls raised in the south) are that silly. Love Katharine and Paris but think Paris is the more natural performer. Taylor is entertaining but has a spastic vibe about him that is annoying at times. Ace needs to choose a great song and then sing the heck out of it next week. IMO he is slipping though remains very nice to look at:biggrin: Chris' songs are beginning to all sound the same. Elliot needs something to liven him up a little, but could see him with a Micheal Buble type career. Bucky has lucked out for the last two weeks with song selection. I think the final two will be Katharine and Chris. Paris is the best talent on the show, IMO but has been in the bottom three a few times, so I don't think she will win.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Piel.........I couldn't have said it any better. Ditto on your comments. I am a huge Queen fan and was somewhat disappointed in their song selections. I am an Ace fan, but am beginning to lose interest with his performances. Top three for me are still Elliott, Chris, and Katherine with the latter two battling it out.........with I am predicting, Chris as the new AI for this year................42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The only Idol contestant that pulled off a believable Queen performance was Elliiott Yamin. His vocals were the best and his delivery came across as pure and simple - no gimmicks. The rest were pretty awful.

Paris was horrible and weird as Simon said. Catharine McPhee attempted to sing "Who Wants to Live Forever". The only fantastic version of this song that I have heard other than Queen's is by Sarah Brightman. Mcphee is no Sarah Brightman. Taylor Hicks did a fifties version of a Queen song - wrong era. Bucky was well Bucky - country - oh boy. I thought Chris Daughrty would hit the mark, but I think he did not "get" the song. He pretty much murdered it. Kellie Pickler tried to belt out "Bohemian Rhapsody" - give me a break. Freddy Mercary must be rolling around in his grave by now. Let's just hope the Idol manufacturers don't assign this group of wannabees Led Zeppelin material. That would be a travesty.