mao asada vs. yu-na kim: figure skating's next star? | Golden Skate

mao asada vs. yu-na kim: figure skating's next star?

Yu-Na Kim vs. Mao Asada: who will be ladies figure skating's next star?

• yu-na kim

Votes: 64 44.8%
  • mao asada

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • othere (specify)

Votes: 21 14.7%

• Total voters

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
with the olympics this year, i'm sure we will see many of our vets retire from the amateur circuit. out of the new crop of skaters, these yu-na and mao have stood out to me the most, and when push comes to shove, i'm a bit torn between them. who do you all see ascending to the top of the podiums in the upcoming seasons?

Maybe more people will vote for Kim now, in view of the Junior Worlds results.

Or -- the next superstar could be someone we've never heard of yet.

MM :)

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
I have not watched Yu na Kim skate yet, so I cannot vote for her. Since she beat Mao, I don't want to pick Mao. So I decided to go for 'other'. Among the current young skaters, I think Elene Gedevanishvili and Kimmie Meissner have the potential to be among the top skaters. There could be others that we have not yet heard of.

Vash

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Other, ROTFL! As if Meissner will overshadow either Asada and Kim, they will be handing her their leftovers for years to come.

Last edited:
So far, so good for Jenni. :rock: But IMHO the business of predicting the next star is perilous. Look at all the "next stars" that have fallen by the wayside. :cry:

Three months ago anyone who couldn't see that Mao was going to take the skating world by storm was either blind or an idiot.

Now, after "only" gettng second at Japanese nationals and at Junior Worlds, all of a sudden everyone is saying, yes she can do a triple Axel (sort of, although she flubbed her 3A combinbation in both the short and long programs at Jr. Worlds), but her toe-loop and Salchow are no good.

With Mao's technical skills obviously on the decline at 15, I guess it's time to look for the next 12-year-old saviour. ;)

MM

Vash01

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Other, ROTFL! As if Meissner will overshadow either Asada and Kim, they will be handing her their leftovers for years to come.

Asada and Kim have not really been tested on the senior scene. Asada did place 1st & 2nd in the senior level GP's but it is hard to tell how she will develop in the next few years when she will be competing at the senior level all the time. Same with Yu na Kim. All the young skaters are still developing so it is too early to predict who will be handing the leftovers to who.

Vash

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I agree that there are many rising stars in FS. Elena Gedevanishvili is certainly a bright one.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
So far, so good for Jenni. :rock: But IMHO the business of predicting the next star is perilous. Look at all the "next stars" that have fallen by the wayside. :cry:

Three months ago anyone who couldn't see that Mao was going to take the skating world by storm was either blind or an idiot.

Now, after "only" gettng second at Japanese nationals and at Junior Worlds, all of a sudden everyone is saying, yes she can do a triple Axel (sort of, although she flubbed her 3A combinbation in both the short and long programs at Jr. Worlds), but her toe-loop and Salchow are no good.

With Mao's technical skills obviously on the decline at 15, I guess it's time to look for the next 12-year-old saviour. ;)

MM

So true, so true... I'm still trying to sell my "Got Ann Patrice?" t-shirt on eBay...

I voted for Gedevanishvili (again). Haven't seen the juniors (but will catch up on them in a couple weeks). New serious fan (obviously).

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I think none of them will be. Simply, my opinion is that there will be excellent Russian ladies. And soooooooo many body and skating changes will happen...anything is possible

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It will still be Asada but I hope it is Kim. Kimmie is closer to fighting with them then she was before Worlds though.

sk8rgrl3

Rinkside
I am predicting that Mao will out last Yu-Na, just because, correct me if I am wrong, that there was an article, about a year ago, that stated how much she "hated" skating. If anyone has a link to the article or remembers, please post. It kind of reminded me of Ann-Patrice's situation.

sk8rgrl3 said:
I am predicting that Mao will out last Yu-Na, just because, correct me if I am wrong, that there was an article, about a year ago, that stated how much she "hated" skating. If anyone has a link to the article or remembers, please post. It kind of reminded me of Ann-Patrice's situation.
I think that was taken out of context and exaggerated. When Yu-na was training in Barrie, Ontario, a couple of years ago, she was perceived as shy and homesick. She was only 14, she didn't speak English very well, and she was a little withdrawn.

In a couple of interviews she said something to the effect that skating was her whole life, she did not attend school, and only once in a while did she get a day off to go to a movie with her friends. This gave the interviewer the impression that she was sad in the way her life was working out.

I think she's fine. She's mostly back home now, plus she's a year older and more experienced and comfortable socially. She's skating gang busters. I don't see any reason to think she won't have a long and satisfying career as a skater.

Ann Patrice, on the other hand, really didn't like it. She felt (so I have come to believe) that her mom was pushing her into a life that she didn't really want. When she was old enough she just said, bye, I'm off to college.

Jenny Kirk was another one of that generation who just decided she didn't want to do it any more. In Jenny's case the loss of her mother, changing coaches twice with no tangible benefit, plus nagging injuries contributed to her interest gradually falling away.

MM

Kasey

Medalist
Mathman said:
Or -- the next superstar could be someone we've never heard of yet.

MM :)

Ditto. These two are surely talented (and I wonder if more aren't voting for Mao because they haven't seen Kim, or because she held her own on the senior level this season?), but where they came from,others will also. Our next Oly gold medalist may not have even hit the senior scene yet; or has, but hasn't hit her stride yet. I vote "Other" because it is too soon to tell, and a poll of two people is too limiting anyway.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kimmie, and Ya-na due to elegance. It will come back as being important.