View Poll Results: Yu-Na Kim vs. Mao Asada: who will be ladies figure skating's next star?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • yu-na kim

66 45.21%
  • mao asada

59 40.41%
  • othere (specify)

21 14.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: mao asada vs. yu-na kim: figure skating's next star?

Rinkside
    I am predicting that Mao will out last Yu-Na, just because, correct me if I am wrong, that there was an article, about a year ago, that stated how much she "hated" skating. If anyone has a link to the article or remembers, please post. It kind of reminded me of Ann-Patrice's situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rgrl3
    I am predicting that Mao will out last Yu-Na, just because, correct me if I am wrong, that there was an article, about a year ago, that stated how much she "hated" skating. If anyone has a link to the article or remembers, please post. It kind of reminded me of Ann-Patrice's situation.
    I think that was taken out of context and exaggerated. When Yu-na was training in Barrie, Ontario, a couple of years ago, she was perceived as shy and homesick. She was only 14, she didn't speak English very well, and she was a little withdrawn.

In a couple of interviews she said something to the effect that skating was her whole life, she did not attend school, and only once in a while did she get a day off to go to a movie with her friends. This gave the interviewer the impression that she was sad in the way her life was working out.

I think she's fine. She's mostly back home now, plus she's a year older and more experienced and comfortable socially. She's skating gang busters. I don't see any reason to think she won't have a long and satisfying career as a skater.

Ann Patrice, on the other hand, really didn't like it. She felt (so I have come to believe) that her mom was pushing her into a life that she didn't really want. When she was old enough she just said, bye, I'm off to college.

Jenny Kirk was another one of that generation who just decided she didn't want to do it any more. In Jenny's case the loss of her mother, changing coaches twice with no tangible benefit, plus nagging injuries contributed to her interest gradually falling away.

MM

Creative Compilation Compiler aka 3axel
    Kimmie and Katy will rule, while Mao and Nu-ya Kim will have problems with growth spurts.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman

Or -- the next superstar could be someone we've never heard of yet.

MM
    Ditto. These two are surely talented (and I wonder if more aren't voting for Mao because they haven't seen Kim, or because she held her own on the senior level this season?), but where they came from,others will also. Our next Oly gold medalist may not have even hit the senior scene yet; or has, but hasn't hit her stride yet. I vote "Other" because it is too soon to tell, and a poll of two people is too limiting anyway.

Kimmie, and Ya-na due to elegance. It will come back as being important.

By the 2010 Olys, Caroline Zhang will be in the mix for the podium. remember, you heard it hear first.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    By the 2010 Olys, Caroline Zhang will be in the mix for the podium. remember, you heard it hear first.

Joe
    With all these names being listed, we forget that FS is like Survivor - some skaters stay competitive, while others get eliminated.

Miki Ando is sort out of the mix - not as close to medaling as the other Japanese skaters, though she showed a lot of promise. So at least one of the four promising ladies- Yuna Kim, Katy Taylor, or Kimmie Meissner, or Mao Asada will be the pewter finisher or lower.

Well actually if Sasha and Fumie stay very strong.. then two of these skaters will have to finish below them... So I could probably guess that Asada is the only one who has proved consistent enough to make it to the podium a couple of times. Kim may still flounder by having occasional or frequent subpar performances, sort of like Sasha but only worse.

Quote Originally Posted by krenseby
    Well actually if Sasha and Fumie stay very strong.. then two of these skaters will have to finish below them... So I could probably guess that Asada is the only one who has proved consistent enough to make it to the podium a couple of times. Kim may still flounder by having occasional or frequent subpar performances, sort of like Sasha but only worse.
    IMO, Fumie and Sasha have arrived at their peak and in both cases they are fine, and again, imo, better all round skaters than the three teenagers at present. However, the teenagers have not yet reached their peak!!! The teenagers have 3 years in a short life sport to get that peak of perfection. They will get that something that brings them definite style and ease of flow during that time.

Fumie and Sasha, I doubt have the ability in three years to get the requisite technical to win over Mao, Yanu and Kimmie. My only question here, is there some younger yet skater to come onto the scene before Vancouver.

Joe

riverflows
    I think, between the two of them, definitely Mao Asada, because she's already proven that she can compete with the Senior ladies by winning the 05 GPF, and if anyone has seen her 2006 Japan Open program, her body's growth gives her extra strength to land that triple-axel rather than plain deadweight.

Fact is, we've never seen Yu-Na Kim compete with the Seniors as Mao Asada has. Some people's success in the Juniors does not translate elsewhere. Miki Ando, Jenny Kirk, Andrei Griazev-- all Junior World champions, but did not have a 'breakout' year. Mao Asada has already had a 'breakout' year and she hasn't even gotten out of the Juniors.

I guess only time will tell. Personally, I'm just happy that we have such talented skaters coming in and keeping me interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2