Start list pairs' short program | Golden Skate

Start list pairs' short program

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm not convinced that an early draw is necessarily a bad draw. I'm sure to a great degree, that depends on the skater / team. I would imagine there are some skaters / teams who might prefer setting the early pace, probably others who like to know more about what the competition has done before they take the ice, and probably the very best competitors (mentally that is) can deal with whatever draw they get just fine.

I would hope that under NJS it's even more irrelevant than 6.0, since the need to "save room for later skaters" at least in theory, goes away.

Or...maybe my suspicions on this are complete hogwash!!

DG

Doggygirl said:
I'm not convinced that an early draw is necessarily a bad draw. I'm sure to a great degree, that depends on the skater / team. I would imagine there are some skaters / teams who might prefer setting the early pace, probably others who like to know more about what the competition has done before they take the ice, and probably the very best competitors (mentally that is) can deal with whatever draw they get just fine.

I would hope that under NJS it's even more irrelevant than 6.0, since the need to "save room for later skaters" at least in theory, goes away.

Or...maybe my suspicions on this are complete hogwash!! DG
You're doing fine, DG. My problem with the random(?) draw is that much of the heavy weights will all be in the last two groups. Since I am known for being one who questions judging, I also think judges are human and are sometimes swayed by outside influences-not necessarily skating related. The NJS does indeed allow for correct judging in whatever order-of-skate but that's in theory. From my past experience with skating groups, if one is in the lowest rated group it is very difficult to get scores higher than the prevalent scores for that group despite a great skate.

Anyway, Let's check this out as a point of interest.

Joe

rain

Record Breaker
Skating all by your lonesome in a "non-contenders" group isn't necessarily bad as long as the team in question already has a reputation as one to watch for. Likewise, some lesser teams can get a bit of a marks boost simply by skating in a group of high-scorers, and a team who has a good skate can tend to get lost without the "contender" rep if they are in a low-scoring group. That's just been my observation from watching skating over the years anyway.

cianni

On the Ice
?

Seems strange that the Russians always seem to draw the last spots. HUMMMMMMMMMMM random?????

Antilles

Medalist
I don't think there is a draw conspiracy. If I'm not mistaken, skaters actually pick their draw numbers out of a hat. I've seen very brief coverage on tv before.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I guess Val & Craig are glad to be able to skate in the last group and make an impact in the short - as long as they don't get nervous!

RubyNV

Rinkside
Bad!

Yes, early draws are almost always very bad. In spite of efforts to clean up judging, judges still hold back scores on the first group or two of skaters, no m:scowl: atter how great they skate. This has to stop since it is obviously completely unfair. Judges, it is your responsibility to mark WHAT YOU ACTUALLY SEE
happening out on the ice. All skates must be given the full marks that they deserve, whether they skate first or last.