Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is Johnny skating for USA or Russia?

Custom Title

Thumbs down Is Johnny skating for USA or Russia?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...oly11702091420
    How dare he wear a CCCP jacket at the Olympics. It is a slap in the face to team USA.

Custom Title
    what is your problem with Johnny?

It seems you scout the internet to find something about him that you do not approve of and then post it here?

why is it a slap in the face to US? It is his practice clothing. We all know that Johnny has a somewhat non-traditional fashion taste. I guess one can insert the thread "who does the athlete represent at the Olympics" here.

USSR no longer exists, and Russian Federation has a completely different flag. Even when Russia was a part of USSR, it had a different flag that hammer and sickle.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan
    How dare he wear a CCCP jacket at the Olympics. It is a slap in the face to team USA.
    because he was double dogged dared and that trumps a normal dare...

Not the droid you're looking for

Isn't the Cold War over?

Read a few bios of skaters who competed during the Cold War years. You'll see stories of athletes who had to sneak around their federations to develop friendships. It wasn't that long ago. I think it's wonderful that Johnny DARES to wear a CCCP jacket - it captures the spirit of INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION just beautifully.
    I don't notice anyone asking how DARE American skaters hire Russian coaches and choreographers!
    Let the games begin, and all the athletes do their best.
    xoxo
    Rave

Custom Title
    I think its kinda cool, esp. since he prefers the soviet style of skating.

It's retro and I don't see anything wrong with it - we still live in a free country (despite dubya) and I think Johnny can wear whatever he wants.

just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    because he was double dogged dared and that trumps a normal dare...
    And what might JW do on a triple dog dare? I guess answereing a quad dare is not in his repertoire yet ?

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    And what might JW do on a triple dog dare? I guess answereing a quad dare is not in his repertoire yet ?

Order yours for Valentine's Day, only $26.99!

http://www.magentastudios.com/?p=24971265

Custom Title
    can you find one just like Johnny's?? It has more style. I hate sweats, especially gray.

I have a number of vintage USSR hockey jerseys. They are my "neutral" ones. If we go to a hockey game that is something other than Blues vs. opponent, then it's Kharlamov or Bure for me

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    I have a number of vintage USSR hockey jerseys. They are my "neutral" ones. If we go to a hockey game that is something other than Blues vs. opponent, then it's Kharlamov or Bure for me
    Are they in Roman or Cyrillic?

Custom Title
    Bure is in Russian, I brought it with me 16 and a half years ago when we moved to US. Kharlamov is in English, I got it later as a gift. My brother has Mogilny in Russian with USSR. We love our hockey!

When I was overseas, former Soviet items were the rage in markets. Everyone bought something and put it on. It was just being cool. Johnny, likes to shock and indeed, he does shock some people. If you understand Johnny, you just let it go as his thing.

Joe

Custom Title
    They are a fad with some of the kids now. Well, college "kids" wear them. My daughter has a few items like that. She certainly isn't pining for the USSR or expressing any loyalty towards that former institution. It just has a major coolness factor right now. But then . . my daughter is a German major. I always thought it was a part of her love for the musical heritage, but.... I never thought it could be the connection to ...OMG!! EAST GERMANY! She was just in Kindergarten when the wall came down. Did they recruit them that young? OH! What traitorous wretch have I nurtured lo these many years?

Relax! It's just a fashion trend!
    Last edited by SusanBeth; 02-09-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan
    How dare he wear a CCCP jacket at the Olympics. .....

'Cause he is PRINCESSE!!!!

slightly offtopic, but which russian male skater does he most remind you of?

I vaguely a remember a russian male skater in the late 70's early 80's (I might be off be almost 10 years) who had similar posture and costume sense, who was it???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast