Is Johnny skating for USA or Russia? | Golden Skate

Is Johnny skating for USA or Russia?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
what is your problem with Johnny?

It seems you scout the internet to find something about him that you do not approve of and then post it here?

why is it a slap in the face to US? It is his practice clothing. We all know that Johnny has a somewhat non-traditional fashion taste. I guess one can insert the thread "who does the athlete represent at the Olympics" here.

USSR no longer exists, and Russian Federation has a completely different flag. Even when Russia was a part of USSR, it had a different flag that hammer and sickle.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Isn't the Cold War over?

Read a few bios of skaters who competed during the Cold War years. You'll see stories of athletes who had to sneak around their federations to develop friendships. It wasn't that long ago. I think it's wonderful that Johnny DARES to wear a CCCP jacket - it captures the spirit of INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION just beautifully.
I don't notice anyone asking how DARE American skaters hire Russian coaches and choreographers! :laugh:
Let the games begin, and all the athletes do their best.
xoxo
Rave

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I think its kinda cool, esp. since he prefers the soviet style of skating.

It's retro and I don't see anything wrong with it - we still live in a free country (despite dubya) and I think Johnny can wear whatever he wants.

just my 2 cents :rock:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
because he was double dogged dared and that trumps a normal dare... :)

And what might JW do on a triple dog dare? I guess answereing a quad dare is not in his repertoire yet:biggrin: ?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
can you find one just like Johnny's?? It has more style. I hate sweats, especially gray.

I have a number of vintage USSR hockey jerseys. They are my "neutral" ones. If we go to a hockey game that is something other than Blues vs. opponent, then it's Kharlamov or Bure for me :)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
I have a number of vintage USSR hockey jerseys. They are my "neutral" ones. If we go to a hockey game that is something other than Blues vs. opponent, then it's Kharlamov or Bure for me :)
Are they in Roman or Cyrillic?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Bure is in Russian, I brought it with me 16 and a half years ago when we moved to US. Kharlamov is in English, I got it later as a gift. My brother has Mogilny in Russian with USSR. We love our hockey!

When I was overseas, former Soviet items were the rage in markets. Everyone bought something and put it on. It was just being cool. Johnny, likes to shock and indeed, he does shock some people. If you understand Johnny, you just let it go as his thing.

Joe

SusanBeth

Final Flight
They are a fad with some of the kids now. Well, college "kids" wear them. My daughter has a few items like that. She certainly isn't pining for the USSR or expressing any loyalty towards that former institution. It just has a major coolness factor right now. But then .:eek: . my daughter is a German major. I always thought it was a part of her love for the musical heritage, but.... I never thought it could be the connection to ...OMG!! EAST GERMANY! She was just in Kindergarten when the wall came down. Did they recruit them that young? OH! What traitorous wretch have I nurtured lo these many years?;)

Relax! It's just a fashion trend!

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
slightly offtopic, but which russian male skater does he most remind you of?

I vaguely a remember a russian male skater in the late 70's early 80's (I might be off be almost 10 years) who had similar posture and costume sense, who was it???

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mafke said:
slightly offtopic, but which russian male skater does he most remind you of?

I vaguely a remember a Russian male skater in the late 70's early 80's (I might be off be almost 10 years) who had similar posture and costume sense, who was it???

I think it might be the winner of the 1994 Olympics. Unfortunately I cannot
remember his name. He won the gold medal then his skating career
just sort of disappeared. I do remember his costumes being over the
top for the times.

ikfan

Rinkside
skater

You are thinking of Alexie Urmanov. He had a groin injury. He now lives in Russai and coaches.

S

SkateFan4Life

What's the big deal about that? Olympic athletes are well known to trade pins, hats, and other pieces of their "official" wardrobe with athletes from other countries. It's all part of the international flavor of the Olympics.

On the other hand, if Johnny Weir wins a medal, skates to the podium and waves the flag of any country other than the USA (OK, maybe Italy :biggrin: )
he will receive a great deal of criticism.

As far as I'm concerned, he should let his skating do his talking.