off ice jumps | Golden Skate

off ice jumps

heyy,
i have a couple questions about jumping off ice and any advice you have would be gratly appreciated.

1) how long do you practice your jumps (or spin positions) off ice?
2) how do edge jumps off the ice because im having a lot of trouble with them. (for example I can barely even do a single salchow off ice and i have a really good one on ice)
3) what are some exercise i can do to jump higher and rotate faster for doubles?
4) how can i get a better split jump position..i can already do the splits off ice i just cant to them in the air...is there anything i can practice off ice?
5) what kind of exercise can i do on my spinner becuase i find it very hard to use. it is the plastic one in the shape of your foot.

thanks for any advice or tip you have to share with me!

Last edited:
ok, well i was expecting at least one bit of advice, so please anything you have even if its just for one of my questions would be greatly appreciated.:bow:

icy fresh

On the Ice
I'm sorry. I'll answer your questions now.

1) I do about 10 minutes of off-ice jumping a day. It really depends on the person because if 10 minutes isn't helping you then you'll need to bump it up to 15 or 20. I stand on two feet and do 5 single revolution jumps. Then I'll do single-double. then I move onto to axel, 2sal, 2toe, 2loop, 2f, 2lz, etc. IFor off-ice spins, I have a spinner and I love practicing on it. I do about 15 minutes worth of backspins. It's really fun!
2)The saslchow is very hard off the ice because you don't have an 'edge' on your sneakers so what I do is after I turn my 3-turn, I hop on that a couple of times and then jump.
3) If you want to jump higher, then I would suggest jsut jumping up and down and getting height. Also build up a lot of strength in your legs so that you can explode off the ice.
4) Split jumps have a lot to do with power. I cannot do a full split off the ice, but I can do a split jump. When I'm on the ice I go into with a lot of speed and basically explode off the ice and try to get that split position. You're only in the split position for less than a second, so it has a lot to do with strength.
5) I just do back spins on my spinner. You might want to ask around to see what kind of spinners other people reccommend if yours isn't working for you.

I hope that this helps and I'm sorry that I couldn't write any sooner.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
.x.iceprincess.x. said:
heyy,
i have a couple questions about jumping off ice and any advice you have would be gratly appreciated.

1) how long do you practice your jumps (or spin positions) off ice?
2) how do edge jumps off the ice because im having a lot of trouble with them. (for example I can barely even do a single salchow off ice and i have a really good one on ice)
3) what are some exercise i can do to jump higher and rotate faster for doubles?
4) how can i get a better split jump position..i can already do the splits off ice i just cant to them in the air...is there anything i can practice off ice?
5) what kind of exercise can i do on my spinner becuase i find it very hard to use. it is the plastic one in the shape of your foot.

thanks for any advice or tip you have to share with me!

OK, I am not American or Canadian so English my English is not perfect...I can't help you a lot-but I can try...

Off ic jumping is very important. My practices off ice start veeeery early in the morning (6:30 AM) so I can't always do warm up before that. I usually jump in the evening, I am also stretching after that. I can't tell you for how long because it all deppends of how do I jump. My total time off ice practice (at home) with stretching is about 30 minutes.

For me double salchow off ice is a problam,too. But it's not impossible! I don't know what kind of entry you do, if you are doing that "normal" entry, then ofcourse, you can't skate off ice, but you can turn around...if you understand me. Axel is easy, I mean, there are no problems like with salchow.
Loop...try to turn around,like you are doing "loop step" as we call it, and then to jump.

There are a lot of exercises for higher and faster doubles, but doing rotations off ice is,I think the most important thing.

I hope this helps a little bit...
BTW, what jumps can you do?