What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino?

76olympics

On the Ice
Actually, in "Reflections on Ice" documentary, several of Henie's competitors remarked upon how indomitable she was; she was superlative in everything: figures, free skate, and competitive drive. One skater said she kept hoping that Sonja would have a bad day or get sick or injured as nearly everyone does at times,but she said Sonja was never sick a day in her life when it came to competition. She was evidently made of teflon, and it will be difficult to find another like her.

S

SkateFan4Life

76olympics said:
Actually, in "Reflections on Ice" documentary, several of Henie's competitors remarked upon how indomitable she was; she was superlative in everything: figures, free skate, and competitive drive. One skater said she kept hoping that Sonja would have a bad day or get sick or injured as nearly everyone does at times,but she said Sonja was never sick a day in her life when it came to competition. She was evidently made of teflon, and it will be difficult to find another like her.

Sonja Henje was the best skater of her day, and she performed jumps and spins that were considered to be daring for women skaters. I suspect that if Sonja was alive, young, and competing today that she would perform a full arsenal of triple jumps. She was truly a legend of the sport. :bow:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
Has anyone given any thought to what might happen if Sasha Cohen takes to the ice at Torino and completely blows it with several major mistakes?

Suppose she finishes, say, sixth or seventh, due to her mistakes, which unfortunately, seem to be part of her repetroire. She doesn't win a medal, she skates poorly before a worldwide television audience, and she has to face the world's press and explain why (again) she failed to live up to the world's lofty expectations.

Does Sasha retire from eligible competition? Does she shrug off the defeat, get right back into training, and then win the World title?

What would happen to her commercial endorsements and media princess persona if she blows it at Torino?

I hope Sasha does NOT blow it, but the possibility is out there.......
I highly doubt that will happen. And would you mind saying why you hate Sasha so much?

frackskat004

Spectator
I think sasha will finally deliver 2 great programs. I just don't think it will be enough to over take Irina. As long as Irina skates good the gold is hers.

cianni

On the Ice
Sasha

I dont think Sasha will bomb but will retain her position as The Bridesmaid. I doubt she will win Gold. Now Im rooting for Irina.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that with Michelle out, Sasha will claim the throne as America's sweetheart with her glamour girl looks and beautiful extension. Sasha always skates well when Michelle isn't around b/c she doesn't have to compete against Michelle's mythical perfection (perfection Michelle herself hasn't achieved in over two years).

rob43

On the Ice
soogar said:
I think that with Michelle out, Sasha will claim the throne as America's sweetheart with her glamour girl looks and beautiful extension. Sasha always skates well when Michelle isn't around b/c she doesn't have to compete against Michelle's mythical perfection (perfection Michelle herself hasn't achieved in over two years).

So Soogar- up until 2 years ago Michelle was acheiving perfection- in fact, mythical perfection? WOW!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I won't count on Cohen doing two clean programs...it could happen, but the odds are certainly against it. My bet is still on Slutskaya or one of the Japanese ladies. There certainly hasn't been much talk of the event (in America) outside of Kwan and Kwan's withdrawal.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#1Kerryfan said:
And would you mind saying why you hate Sasha so much?
SkateFan4Life has started 2 posts directly taking pot shots at Sasha, which were mean and vile. I can’t believe that anyone could be so cowardly, angry, annoyed, irritated or irate at their so called favorite skater to take such cheap shots at another skater. Where is SkateFan4Life now, HIDING??? :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I'm so confused by this thread... if Sasha bombs at the games, it will suck for her, her "people," her fans and the USFSA. If she succeeds, then the opposite.

Let's give her a break and see what happens before we judge...

Under normal circumstances, I'd post in this thread all the ways in which Sasha could potentially bomb and the fallout... However, I'm tired of being nasty and evil. This season has been so strange that at this point, I am focusing on the positive and just want to see what happens. Could Sasha bomb? Of course. Will she bomb? I don't think so. Will she win, though... that's the million dollar question... But here's the one answer I do know... will she win or bomb based on the opinions of GSers? Absolutely not.

Here's wishing her all the best.

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK. What are the REAL odds of Cohen winning?

Head or tails?

Rolling a "six" on a die?

Picking the right number in a game of roulette?

Winning the lottery? :laugh:

guinevere

Final Flight
I don't see Sasha bombing. Perhaps she will make mistakes, sure, but I have a hard time imagining a total bomb in either SP or LP from Sasha.

I've seen a lot of posts (here and elsewhere) indicating that Sasha might retire after this season. Has Sasha made any statements about this? I think it would be a shame. Despite the young jumping beans, I think Sasha could continue to be at the top of the sport for several more years, even through the next Olys, if she wanted to. I think Mao may grab the top spot for a year or two, I don't see her staying dominant for 4+ years. I haven't seen enough of Yu-Na Kim to say anything about her chances. There's hype about Gevadishili but I haven't seen her yet. Who else is there who's staying eligible? Kimmie and Katy look poised to be the top echelon of the US team, but I would put Sasha over either of them any day based on PCS and difficulty of spins, position, etc. Basically, I really hope that Sasha does not retire, no matter how she does at the Olys this year.

Morganlee

Match Penalty
If she bombs, she bombs. She has to know that she'll be up against two new heavy jumpers next season so she might as well start jumping now because Irina will if she has to. Now we have hardcore skating as it should be. I like Sasha :rock: but she needs to recognise the competition for what it is, unlike some skaters who just never got that concept and can now no longer compete. Good luck Sasha.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If she bombs, she bombs.

Yes. And the world's not going to end. Heck, the world didn't end when kwan pulled out, right? :biggrin: so the world can survive an Olympic meltdown by Cohen. Not too sure about a certain other skater, though...:biggrin: :laugh:

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
Yes. And the world's not going to end. Heck, the world didn't end when kwan pulled out, right? :biggrin: so the world can survive an Olympic meltdown by Cohen. Not too sure about a certain other skater, though...:biggrin: :laugh:
:laugh: :clap:

S

SkateFan4Life

Red Dog said:

True, life as we know it will continue, regardless of the outcome of the women's competition. I hope that all of the women skate their best.

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Another dumb thread with no resolution. One could easily inquire: What if Cohen Wins?

Joe

Another dumb thread!! What is the point of having a forum? We know that they are all dumb threads but we all still post to them. We know that there is no resolution but that's what makes the forums-peoples opinions, whether they agree or agree to disagree. We know that opinions are not going to stop the war in Iraq but just keep our tongues wagging or fingers clicking about what's going on in the figure skating world. :) :)

Let the dumb posts keep coming in.

Baby Hughes has arrived.:chorus: :chorus: