What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino?

R.D.

Record Breaker
She can be really great to watch when she lets herself go. I've only seen her do it twice- once in her first program at marshall's, and second at the end of her FS at Nationals.

But, the vast majority of the time she's just uptight and leaves one with a cold feeling.

S

SkateFan4Life

Red Dog said:
She can be really great to watch when she lets herself go. I've only seen her do it twice- once in her first program at marshall's, and second at the end of her FS at Nationals.

But, the vast majority of the time she's just uptight and leaves one with a cold feeling.

I recall Dick Button describing Sasha's skating as "one in which she skates with a combination of anger and fear". I agree with you, again, that, her skating, while beautiful to watch, somehow misses to connect with the audience.

maruru

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
Actually I think she did that twice in two consecutive "fluff events" as you call them. But outside of that I haven't seen her *truly* fall apart in competition. Look, other skaters fall twice, three times, totally mess up and people say, oh it's too bad, she'll get another chance next year. But when Cohen makes even the smallest mistake the roof caves in. I can see why it eventually got to her. I don't know if I could take it myself.

I think it's because of two points of reference that she has been implicitly or explicitly compared with. One, people's high expectation of her given her talent ("Ahh, again... when will she fulfill her promise or will she ever?"). And two, and it's probably bigger, it's Michelle who has always been like a "perfect older sister" for Sasha. I can see why and how it got to her, too.

But I've never seen her devastatingly horrible. Some mistakes, sure, but nothing like she bombed. And really, I cannot see her completely falling apart in this event.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The world isn't going to come to an end if Sasha skates poorly anymore than it has ended for Michelle Kwan. Considering that most sports writers don't even consider figure skating a sport I don't think that much will be made of it. They'll concentrate on the positives (I hope) such as Inoue & Baldwin's successful throw triple axle. We aren't expected to win any gold medals so if she doesn't win it won't be surprising. If she bombs she'll pick herself up & go on with whatever choices she makes for her future. You want gold medals for the USA in skating at these Olympics? Then watch the American speed skaters. We've already won gold in the 5000 meter race.:clap:

S

SkateFan4Life

merrywidow said:
The world isn't going to come to an end if Sasha skates poorly anymore than it has ended for Michelle Kwan. Considering that most sports writers don't even consider figure skating a sport I don't think that much will be made of it. They'll concentrate on the positives (I hope) such as Inoue & Baldwin's successful throw triple axle. We aren't expected to win any gold medals so if she doesn't win it won't be surprising. If she bombs she'll pick herself up & go on with whatever choices she makes for her future. You want gold medals for the USA in skating at these Olympics? Then watch the American speed skaters. We've already won gold in the 5000 meter race.:clap:

And there may well be more gold medals for American speed skaters! :clap:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I want Sasha to be fourth after the short. I want her to be angry, b*tchy, even. I bet she'll be spitting fire then, and will not let anything get in her way.

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha needs to land her jumps, and not on two feet, in order to beat Irina.
Sasha HAS bombed before, one standing out is a competition where she kept trying for a quad and landing on her rump!!!!!!
I hope Emily and Kimmie both show her what they can do. They both are have more technically difficult things to offer skating than Sasha. Go girls!

millie

Medalist
Fossi said:
Sasha HAS bombed before, one standing out is a competition where she kept trying for a quad and landing on her rump!!!!!!
I hope Emily and Kimmie both show her what they can do. They both are have more technically difficult things to offer skating than Sasha. Go girls!

I hope that Sasha shows you what she can do. Don't you think that there is a posiability that neither one of the American girls will medal? If anyone is going to medal, it is Sasha.

tarotx

On the Ice
Fossi said:

If Sasha lands her stuff and the other USA ladies land theirs-Sasha will have a equal or higher tech score.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I have posted in this thread before saying that Sasha will not bomb and although she was not my first choice for gold I did expect her to medal. After the bad news about MK today I will be rooting for Sasha. You have to respect what the girl does on the ice. She does seem physically stronger, maybe that will eliminate the problems with her jumps. I hope all the US ladies do well.

Kathleen

Rinkside
I think anything is possible at this point. Maybe her confidence level was helped by the fact that all of the media hoopla was directed at Michelle. Now that Michelle has withdrawn, all the focus will be on her. She could ignore it all and not let it affect her and skate great..........or she could let her head get the best of her.

I agree that she's more experienced now.......is in great shape........has been skating well.......but all that can change in a New York Minute under the Olympic pressure, kwim??

I hope all 3 American ladies skate well!

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Plus, what Sasha lacks for winning the Big Ones in eligible skating doesn't matter a hoot to SOI or 98% of its audience. But what Sasha has in spades, and you all know what I mean, the SOI crowd would pay to see again and again--especially if SOI works with her on reaching out to the audience.

Rgirl
That's a good point. The flaws in Sasha's skating (other than the occasional jump error) are not likely to be noticed by the casual skating viewer but the qualities that make her great are very visible to everyone. With an Olympic medal of any color plus her U.S. Nats title she would be a big draw on the pro circuit.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Fossi said:
Give me a break.

Kimmie except her 3/3s, and maybe lutz, nothing she done could be called technically difficult things than Sasha. Considering how many elements you have to do in SP and LP I wouldn't call she has more technically difficult than Sasha.

Emily, with 125 126 points finish in her both GPs? Except that lutz she has no technically difficult than Sasha. Oh yeah forgot she fall HARDER than Sasha. It was proved in GPs and Nationals.

Oh yeah agree to what rgirl and ogre said, sasha is made for a wonderful show skater.

She is not even my favorate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
cianni said:
Henie isnt relevent what she did cant compare to the skaters today. The sport was nothing then in terms of difficulty. Thats like comparing a horse and buggy race againt a car.

Of course skaters of past and skaters of present cannot be compared against each other. They can though be compared for their competitive achievements. Henie in her time was competing against her peers as well as skaters of today are competing against their peers.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Now Sasha has to deal with the pressure of skating out of Michelle Kwan's shadow. If she skates poorly at Torino, she can't point a finger at Michelle and say, "If it wasn't for her, I'd win this competition."

millie

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
Now Sasha has to deal with the pressure of skating out of Michelle Kwan's shadow. If she skates poorly at Torino, she can't point a finger at Michelle and say, "If it wasn't for her, I'd win this competition."

Give it a rest, Sasha will not have to deal with the pressure of skating out of Michelle Kwan's shadow. Michelle is not there anymore, so therefore there is no shadow. You are going to have to get over it and move on to wrestling or boxing and let the other skaters, skate in peace. With regards to pointing fingers, who can Michelle point fingers at because she was injured and I don't think for won second that when Sasha wins the OGM that she will be pointing fingers at anyone.:biggrin: :biggrin: Trolls are not welcomed here

Last edited:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Jaana said:
Of course skaters of past and skaters of present cannot be compared against each other. They can though be compared for their competitive achievements. Henie in her time was competing against her peers as well as skaters of today are competing against their peers.

Wellllll kind of. In theory, yes. But let's not forget that the playing field wasn't exactly level. In Henie's day, she was afforded a huge advantage of skating in short dresses (because she was a "girl") while her older competitors had to skate in floor length dresses. And at least one, if not more of her world titles, came when the judging panel consisted of 5 - all from Norway. I'm not dismissing Henie's brilliance for her time. But I would be curious to see how she'd have fared with a level playing field.