What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino? | Golden Skate

What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino?

S

SkateFan4Life

Has anyone given any thought to what might happen if Sasha Cohen takes to the ice at Torino and completely blows it with several major mistakes?

Suppose she finishes, say, sixth or seventh, due to her mistakes, which unfortunately, seem to be part of her repetroire. She doesn't win a medal, she skates poorly before a worldwide television audience, and she has to face the world's press and explain why (again) she failed to live up to the world's lofty expectations.

Does Sasha retire from eligible competition? Does she shrug off the defeat, get right back into training, and then win the World title?

What would happen to her commercial endorsements and media princess persona if she blows it at Torino?

I hope Sasha does NOT blow it, but the possibility is out there.......

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's definitely possible (and one can argue, maybe even probable) that she'll make multiple mistakes. Will it be enough to take her out of the running?

However, I REALLY don't see her finishing 6th or 7th. At worst she will be just bumped off the podium, and it will be deja vu SLC 2002.

She seems to have a stronger mindset this time around, however- but the pressure will be intense and it could get to her. I don't recall her bombing any major comp in recent years, though. Even in the 04 Worlds LP where she was a bundle of nerves, she held herself up- for the most part. Yes, the little mistakes are what prevents her from being a champion, but at the same time I think she's tougher than people give her credit for. Where was one comp where Sasha just had a truly TERRIBLE performance? I can't really remember one.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It depends upon what everyone else does, and, how it "plays out". For example, if Sasha bombs, but Irina and Michelle both skate well, with Irina winning and Michelle getting silver, then it is likely that the headlines will read "Revenge of the Ancients", and Sasha will be ignored.

It's just difficult for me to think Sasha will do badly in the competition. It's not just her skating improvements. It is her mindset. Sasha will do extremely well here in Torino. If she doesn't win or make the podium, it is because others were better that night. No hanky panky here.

Joe

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I think this Olympics is different from those of the past, because of CoP. If sufficient difficulty is introduced into a program, mistakes become far less disastrous to one's standings. We have only to look at Jeff Buttle's record in the GP series, for example. It's all in the numbers. If they like your choreography, and/or you pile up points for added difficulty, you can get away with some big mistakes, and still win silver. What really seems to hurt one's total score, is having too many level one elements in a program, no matter how perfectly or beautifully they are done. It's basically a "go for difficulty" environment now, and I think that Sasha and her coach understand this.

orchid

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It's just difficult for me to think Sasha will do badly in the competition. It's not just her skating improvements. It is her mindset. Sasha will do extremely well here in Torino. If she doesn't win or make the podium, it is because others were better that night. No hanky panky here.

Joe

Absolutely, no hanky panky judging in Turin
:rofl:

About that "new mindset", it hasn't been there but for a few months and if it is borne of the personal/family problems, to me it is not a true commitmentt to the skating, rather than a redirection of emotion.

Honestly, I am not interested in her parents personal strife or if it has any effect on Sasha's skating, when the girl steps on the ice she should forget it all too !

If not comes an arsenal of excuses. yawn

R.D.

Record Breaker
Personally, I'd wait until after the competition to dog on her for making yet another mistake and losing the OGM for the US. After all, she was our only hope....(or maybe not..?)

Last edited:

rob43

On the Ice
Well I think a bad Sasha performance would be the equivalent of Kwan '02- no 3/3 or sequence, a fall, a botched jump and with Sasha- flutzing. That said I think she has enough built in strengths to stay top 5 no problem & I don't see her below fourth. The spins and spiral in particular will give her a leg up on many of the ladies. And aside from Fumie, Michelle and irina I don't see anyone else's skating matching up to her overall ability.

orchid said:
Absolutely, no hanky panky judging in Turin
:rofl:
By hanky panky, I mean collusion. However, there will be favoritism in Torino. There will be national and ethnic biases throughout by some judges who consider that more important than the Sport itself.

Joe

ladybug

On the Ice
I think Sasha will do fine at the Olympics. If Irena is healthy and skates fairly well, she will win. Depending on how many mistakes she makes, Sasha will win the silver or bronze. She has enough points in her program to carry her through.

Vash01

Medalist
I don't think Sasha will bomb. She has matured over the years and steadily progressed, physically and mentally. I think she is menally ready to win the OGM and I don't expect to see her off the podium, even if she does not win the gold.

Vash

anniemg

Rinkside
I don't think Sasha will finish off the podium either. She has the elements that are more secure than the jumps that will give her the points she needs(spins, spiral sequence, choreo etc). I think she's passed that moment of her becoming a nervous wreck before a program, she looks a lot more 'relaxed'. She can afford a couple of minor glitzes and still get silver IMO. But she will never beat Irina unless she skates perfectly.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
By hanky panky, I mean collusion. However, there will be favoritism in Torino. There will be national and ethnic biases throughout by some judges who consider that more important than the Sport itself.

Joe

But old habbits die hard and proven cheating judges are yet again seen on judging panels...i fully expect there to be collusion between some of the notorious cheaters.

Ant

millie

Medalist
Yes Sasha will bomb at the Olympics, but she will bomb in a good way. I think that upto this point everything has been like building blocks, trying to get to the top. I think that this her time to peak and shine. Good luck to Sasha and all the athletes.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Let's just see what happens. We all know that she has the goods to do well but this sport is more of a head-game at this kind of competition. Yes, she could bomb but so could everyone else out there and they will just have to deal with it and move on with their life. I personally hope that she does well. I think she is the USA's best hope for a medal in Torino.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I will be very suprised if Sasha bombs. I hope not. She is not my first choice for gold but I do expect to see her on the podium. What color medal ? We will
have to wait and see.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
If she does bomb, which can happen to anyone, she'll survive. She won't get kicked out of the country. The people who like to tear her apart online will continue to do so with zest. The people who defend her, will defend her a little more passionately. How she copes with her personal pain, who can say? People find a way to endure.

Then again, if she wins gold, the people who like to criticize, will continue to do so with a quieter snarkiness. The people who defend her will do so joyously. How Sasha would cope with having the OGM and still being in Kwan's shadow to some degree, who can say? (Having Kwan around has taken some of the zip out of being the gold medalist in times past.) Sasha will find a way to endure.