Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 80

Thread: What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino?

  1. #16
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,099
    Sasha will do fine.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    988
    Yes Sasha will bomb at the Olympics, but she will bomb in a good way. I think that upto this point everything has been like building blocks, trying to get to the top. I think that this her time to peak and shine. Good luck to Sasha and all the athletes.

    LET THE GAMES BEGIN

  3. #18
    The Ice is Slippery SK8LUVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    213
    Let's just see what happens. We all know that she has the goods to do well but this sport is more of a head-game at this kind of competition. Yes, she could bomb but so could everyone else out there and they will just have to deal with it and move on with their life. I personally hope that she does well. I think she is the USA's best hope for a medal in Torino.

  4. #19
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,988
    I will be very suprised if Sasha bombs. I hope not. She is not my first choice for gold but I do expect to see her on the podium. What color medal ? We will
    have to wait and see.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    769
    If she does bomb, which can happen to anyone, she'll survive. She won't get kicked out of the country. The people who like to tear her apart online will continue to do so with zest. The people who defend her, will defend her a little more passionately. How she copes with her personal pain, who can say? People find a way to endure.

    Then again, if she wins gold, the people who like to criticize, will continue to do so with a quieter snarkiness. The people who defend her will do so joyously. How Sasha would cope with having the OGM and still being in Kwan's shadow to some degree, who can say? (Having Kwan around has taken some of the zip out of being the gold medalist in times past.) Sasha will find a way to endure.

  6. #21
    Custom Title Ogre Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBeth
    If she does bomb, which can happen to anyone, she'll survive. She won't get kicked out of the country. The people who like to tear her apart online will continue to do so with zest. The people who defend her, will defend her a little more passionately. How she copes with her personal pain, who can say? People find a way to endure.

    Then again, if she wins gold, the people who like to criticize, will continue to do so with a quieter snarkiness. The people who defend her will do so joyously. How Sasha would cope with having the OGM and still being in Kwan's shadow to some degree, who can say? (Having Kwan around has taken some of the zip out of being the gold medalist in times past.) Sasha will find a way to endure.
    Rather than either bombing or winning the OGM, what do you think the public reaction will be if Sasha wins the silver? Because I think this is the most likely outcome.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    343
    I don't think she will bomb, but if she does I certainly don't think she will retire, she's still young

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    Rather than either bombing or winning the OGM, what do you think the public reaction will be if Sasha wins the silver? Because I think this is the most likely outcome.
    Again, it depends. If Sasha wins silver, but the US media thinks she should have won gold, she will do fine. If Sasha wins silver because someone legitimately outskated her, then she will have to endure the "always a bridesmaid" remarks -- unless there is a much bigger story (i.e., Kwan wins third medal -- any color, tying Henie, or the Russian "comeback kid" wins gold) and then the media will simply ignore her. Of course, if Sasha is outskated, but is unusually gracious in defeat -- and this becomes a bigger story because some other athlete(s) are unusually rotten in defeat -- then again she will do fine.

  9. #24
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,484
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeKatie
    I don't think she will bomb, but if she does I certainly don't think she will retire, she's still young
    I do.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    Rather than either bombing or winning the OGM, what do you think the public reaction will be if Sasha wins the silver? Because I think this is the most likely outcome.

    I think a silver would be great for Sasha and people would be happy with it. If she skates clean and finishes second to Irina, there will probably be objections because Sasha is so polished and refined looking on the ice (with regard to her positions, extension, choreography... the whole package so to speak) while Irina is still a bit rough around the edges when it comes to grace.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    835
    Sasha will not bomb. She skate beautifully and earn a silver or bronze medal, hopefully.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornliz
    She could have a clean SP, and a fall in the LP and still medal. In my opinion.
    I agree.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,267
    I don't see her truly bombing, but she might make enough mistakes to finish off the podium. As others have said, who knows what deals have been made. It's so easy to prop skaters up or sink them using the PCS scores. Anything is possible. Slutskaya and Sokolova on the podium wouldn't be that much of a surprise, considering how well Elena skated at Euros.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    All Sasha needs is to concentrate on her own skating only, she'll do fine. She is all geared for this shot....but I won't rule out Japanese ladies just yet, they may not be the favorate from Judge panel, but when the politics can't be settled between US and Russia, they might be the one to benefit.

    I don't like politics at all, don't like it in social life, don't like it in office, don't like it FS, etc. But such is a life, it exsists every where, now with the new system in play, even the rules are affected by politics. (read in pair thread).
    Last edited by mzheng; 02-10-2006 at 04:07 PM.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeKatie
    I think a silver would be great for Sasha and people would be happy with it. If she skates clean and finishes second to Irina, there will probably be objections because Sasha is so polished and refined looking on the ice (with regard to her positions, extension, choreography... the whole package so to speak) while Irina is still a bit rough around the edges when it comes to grace.
    Irina is not trying to be graceful. She does not have that kind of body. She is an athlete and she makes full use of her athletic skills. That does not make her 'rough around the edges'. In fact her edges are more secure than Sasha's.

    Vash

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •