Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    (i.e., Kwan wins third medal -- any color, tying Henie, or the Russian "comeback kid" wins gold)
    In that case Kwan is tying Henie only in medal count, but who counts medals in that way? That happens only for skaters that have not won 3 gold medals like Henie did. Kwan´s achievements - even if she now happens to win a gold medal -, are not equal to those of Henie.

About Sasha I would say that I don´t think she bombs. She may make a mistake or two, but that is not bombing, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Jaana; 02-11-2006 at 04:14 AM.

SkateFan4Life
    Now that Michelle has (very unfortuantely) withdrawn from the Olympics, Sasha will have one less distraction.

I think her mental state will be the ultimate factor in determining whether she wins gold, silver, bronze, or does not reach the podium. She definitely has the ability to win the competition, but it will be a matter of her assembling her physical ability and mental toughness to create a winning program.

Custom Title
    I haven't read the thread and an no way consider myself a Sasha fan. But really, when has Sasha EVER bombed? Never. With the exception of one fluff competition (I forget which one) where she fell 3 times, nothing in her competitive repertoire could reasonably be considered a bomb. She has the potential to win the whole thing, and the very realistic abilty to at least get on the podium. I'm not at all worried about her.

Custom Title

It was easier

Henie isnt relevent what she did cant compare to the skaters today. The sport was nothing then in terms of difficulty. Thats like comparing a horse and buggy race againt a car.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Sandee
    I haven't read the thread and an no way consider myself a Sasha fan. But really, when has Sasha EVER bombed? Never. With the exception of one fluff competition (I forget which one) where she fell 3 times, nothing in her competitive repertoire could reasonably be considered a bomb. She has the potential to win the whole thing, and the very realistic abilty to at least get on the podium. I'm not at all worried about her.
    Actually I think she did that twice in two consecutive "fluff events" as you call them. But outside of that I haven't seen her *truly* fall apart in competition. Look, other skaters fall twice, three times, totally mess up and people say, oh it's too bad, she'll get another chance next year. But when Cohen makes even the smallest mistake the roof caves in. I can see why it eventually got to her. I don't know if I could take it myself.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    Rather than either bombing or winning the OGM, what do you think the public reaction will be if Sasha wins the silver? Because I think this is the most likely outcome.
    If Sasha wins silver, she will again have the "bridesmaid" label attached to her. If she skates her best, and/or skates near-perfect programs, the carping will be at a minimum, I hope. However, if she takes to the ice and falls two or three times in her long program and finishes second, third, or lower, the critics will be vocal. If she "blows" the long program and finishes off the podium, there will be a lot of criticism. However, I think that's not going to happen. I expect to see Sasha on the podium, with silver or bronze, but probably not the gold medal. We'll see what happens!

Custom Woman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    Irina is not trying to be graceful. She does not have that kind of body. She is an athlete and she makes full use of her athletic skills. That does not make her 'rough around the edges'. In fact her edges are more secure than Sasha's.
    I know this thread is about Sasha, but thank you, Vash, for saying so cogently exactly what is great about Irina and why so many people miss the "point" of her great skating--when she is skating great. ITA!

As for Sasha, I have no clue as to how she'll skate, but whatever the outcome--good, bad, or fantastic--she'll have to deal with it. Thus Sasha will either move on to becoming a fashion designer, hang in there and see if she can deal with Mao Asada and the new wave of already-MaoAsada-wannabes, or star with Stars on Ice. They haven't had a beautiful marquee leading ladies skater who could really skate since Kristi. Plus, what Sasha lacks for winning the Big Ones in eligible skating doesn't matter a hoot to SOI or 98% of its audience. But what Sasha has in spades, and you all know what I mean, the SOI crowd would pay to see again and again--especially if SOI works with her on reaching out to the audience.

Or she could stay home and bake. In her journal, so I hear, that's what she says she loves to do.

Rgirl
    Last edited by Rgirl; 02-12-2006 at 11:41 AM.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgirl
    I know this thread is about Sasha, but thank you, Vash, for saying so cogently exactly what is great about Irina and why so many people miss the "point" of her great skating--when she is skating great. ITA!

As for Sasha, I have no clue as to how she'll skate, but whatever the outcome--good, bad, or fantastic--she'll have to deal with it. Thus Sasha will either move on to becoming a fashion designer, hang in there and see if she can deal with Mao Asada and the new wave of already-MaoAsada-wannabes, or star with Stars on Ice. They haven't had a beautiful marquee lead ladies skater who could really skate since Kristi. Plus, what Sasha lacks for winning the Big Ones in eligible skating doesn't matter a hoot to SOI or 98% of its audience. But what Sasha has in spades, and you all know what I mean, the SOI crowd would pay to see again and again--especially if SOI works with her on reaching out to the audience.

Or she could stay home and bake. In her journal, so I hear, that's what she says she loves to do.

Rgirl
    Somehow, I can't imagine Sasha staying home and baking cookies for the rest of her life.

Down With It
    well, she doesn't strike me as one that reaches out to the audience. I don't think that's her style. Of course she touches many people (which then become fans), but not the vast majority.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    well, she doesn't strike me as one that reaches out to the audience. I don't think that's her style. Of course she touches many people (which then become fans), but not the vast majority.
    I agree with you. To me, Sasha skates for herself, and only for herself. She retains her emotional connection with herself, not with the audience. At this year's Nationals, Sasha broke into a radiant smile during her footwork sequence, and it brought a huge reaction from the audience. Peggy Fleming and Dick Button both remarked that it was wonderful to see Sasha "let loose" and show her emotions.

Down With It
    She can be really great to watch when she lets herself go. I've only seen her do it twice- once in her first program at marshall's, and second at the end of her FS at Nationals.

But, the vast majority of the time she's just uptight and leaves one with a cold feeling.

SkateFan4Life
    She can be really great to watch when she lets herself go. I've only seen her do it twice- once in her first program at marshall's, and second at the end of her FS at Nationals.

But, the vast majority of the time she's just uptight and leaves one with a cold feeling.
    I recall Dick Button describing Sasha's skating as "one in which she skates with a combination of anger and fear". I agree with you, again, that, her skating, while beautiful to watch, somehow misses to connect with the audience.

On the Ice
    Actually I think she did that twice in two consecutive "fluff events" as you call them. But outside of that I haven't seen her *truly* fall apart in competition. Look, other skaters fall twice, three times, totally mess up and people say, oh it's too bad, she'll get another chance next year. But when Cohen makes even the smallest mistake the roof caves in. I can see why it eventually got to her. I don't know if I could take it myself.
    I think it's because of two points of reference that she has been implicitly or explicitly compared with. One, people's high expectation of her given her talent ("Ahh, again... when will she fulfill her promise or will she ever?"). And two, and it's probably bigger, it's Michelle who has always been like a "perfect older sister" for Sasha. I can see why and how it got to her, too.

But I've never seen her devastatingly horrible. Some mistakes, sure, but nothing like she bombed. And really, I cannot see her completely falling apart in this event.

The world isn't going to come to an end if Sasha skates poorly anymore than it has ended for Michelle Kwan. Considering that most sports writers don't even consider figure skating a sport I don't think that much will be made of it. They'll concentrate on the positives (I hope) such as Inoue & Baldwin's successful throw triple axle. We aren't expected to win any gold medals so if she doesn't win it won't be surprising. If she bombs she'll pick herself up & go on with whatever choices she makes for her future. You want gold medals for the USA in skating at these Olympics? Then watch the American speed skaters. We've already won gold in the 5000 meter race.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow
    The world isn't going to come to an end if Sasha skates poorly anymore than it has ended for Michelle Kwan. Considering that most sports writers don't even consider figure skating a sport I don't think that much will be made of it. They'll concentrate on the positives (I hope) such as Inoue & Baldwin's successful throw triple axle. We aren't expected to win any gold medals so if she doesn't win it won't be surprising. If she bombs she'll pick herself up & go on with whatever choices she makes for her future. You want gold medals for the USA in skating at these Olympics? Then watch the American speed skaters. We've already won gold in the 5000 meter race.
    And there may well be more gold medals for American speed skaters!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast