"Olympic Ice" on the USA network | Page 3 | Golden Skate

"Olympic Ice" on the USA network

rob43

On the Ice
Agreed- the wicked witch off Turino has been discovered.

And I don't pretend to know Sasha's thought processes but soemtimes she says things in a little bit of a forward manner. Nothing is wrong with that but it's not the sugar coated, deeply contemplative or whiny resaponse we've gotten used to hearing from some others- so it stands out.

Spirit

On the Ice
I thought TT's comments were ungracious, but not worth losing any sleep over. In the great scope of figure skating spats, this isn't even a blip on the radar.

Also, I thought Tracy Wilson was kind of rude. She's interviewing the freaking Olympic gold medalists, and what is her first question about? Another team. You could see that both skaters were taken aback by the question, and for several seconds, TT had no idea what to say.

I would have liked to see some questions asked to T&M about T&M. NBC chose not to show us any.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Spirit said:
I would have liked to see some questions asked to T&M about T&M. NBC chose not to show us any.

Or worse...gasp..they didn't ASK them any!

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Spirit said:
Also, I thought Tracy Wilson was kind of rude. She's interviewing the freaking Olympic gold medalists, and what is her first question about? Another team. You could see that both skaters were taken aback by the question, and for several seconds, TT had no idea what to say.

Very excellent point made. I, for one, am not going to pass any judgement on Tatiana for her comments. She won the gold medal, and someone rains on her parade asking about some other team. And I'm sure that trying to formulate an appropriate response in a language in which one is not entirely fluent has to be difficult.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
PrincessLeppard said:
yes, they did. MM handled the question better, though. But TT? Honey, you got the gold. Quit hating on the second place team.

IMO, TT has had it in for Z/Z ever since 2005 Worlds, where there was a collision between TT and the male Zhang during warm up -- Vassiliev accused him of doing it deliberately, but Alexei Tikhnov said he saw the whole thing and it was clearly accidental. Vassiliev was also quoted as suggesting that Zhao's injury was faked.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
EvanLysacekFan said:
Did they really say that? That would totally put me off of them. But, I didn't watch the program.

Well, yes. And I heard it first while listening to the live Eurosport audio on my computer. TT said the exact same thing to Gwendal Peizarat. So she is obviously 'set' in her words. I respect her honesty. BRAVO! Besides...TT/MM won & let's not forget it!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TEAM ROSSIYA! One Gold 'down' -- three to go!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I'd heard about her comment, but to hear it from her mouth... yowzah... what a piece of work!!! I understand why some find honesty refreshing, but for a team that is clearly done with competitive skating and looking towards life in the pro arena... big, fat, dumb move...

:banging: :disapp:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Kwanford Wife said:
....looking towards life in the pro arena... big, fat, dumb move...

:banging: :disapp:

That doesn't really matter. They've always said that their hearts are with the Russian & other Euro audiences. North American audiences have always been cold toward them & gah-gah with any Chinese. As far as N.Am. money is concerned, well...I'm sure that TT can find the right words for what N.Ams. can do with their money.

Sandra Bezik's comment about "Oh, so many Russian flags here in the arena..." was quite telling. Ha! As if only the 'rich' N.American fans are the ones who can pluck up all of the tickets? Well - SURPRISE! SURPRISE! SURPRISE! :chorus: :chorus: :chorus:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
That doesn't really matter. They've always said that their hearts are with the Russian & other Euro audiences. North American audiences have always been cold toward them & gah-gah with any Chinese. As far as N.Am. money is concerned, well...I'm sure that TT can find the right words for what N.Ams. can do with their money.

Sandra Bezik's comment about "Oh, so many Russian flags here in the arena..." was quite telling. Ha! As if only the 'rich' N.American fans are the ones who can pluck up all of the tickets? Well - SURPRISE! SURPRISE! SURPRISE! :chorus: :chorus: :chorus:

Huh? Are you seriously serious? Money is money honey. The big tours happen in North America & Asia. Regardless of their desire to stay at home, which I totally understand, ya gotta admit that TT probably understands that it takes cash to eat & making an *** out of herself during that interview is going to seriously undermine their future prospects...

My understanding was that Russia & Europe countries don't really shell out the big bucks for skating expos, which is why so many Russian pros live & work here in the US ~ but hey, what ever works for them... :eek:hwell:

curious

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Or worse...gasp..they didn't ASK them any!

Of course the question was not intended to put them on a bad light and make them the *evil russians* like they did with B&S lol!
They were under an enormous pressure and had every right to be upset cause it was obvious that they had to give a CLEAN performance to get that GOLD medal seeing how the judges awarded a silver to a team with three errors including a fall.

Jamie and Davie had alot of nerve calling T&M *ungracious winners* when they whined screamed and cried their way to a gold medal in salt -lake city but nobody is calling them HYPOCRITES right?:biggrin:

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Just a note about this show. Mr. Doggy, the ultimate in "not a figure skating fan" even likes this show!! I think they did a good job selecting the commentators. If anything about FS can hold Mr. Doggy's interest and actually entertain him for an hour every day, it's a good show. :p

Bleh on TT's remarks, and double Bleh to the reporters for asking the question about the Zhangs in the first place. (just to keep with the recent theme of the thread :))

DG

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Bleh on TT's remarks, and double Bleh to the reporters for asking the question about the Zhangs in the first place.
Nicely put.

curious

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:

I don't see the love fest for the chinese pairs lasting if a decent north american team starts challenging them for a medal next season lol!:biggrin:

Last edited:

shdotz

On the Ice
Decent American Team

curious said:
We know how much this so called love for the chinese pairs is going to last if a decent north american team starts challenging them for a medal next season lol!:biggrin:

But is there a decent American pairs team in America these days?

sh

shdotz

On the Ice
music being pumped over the loudspeaker

Spirit said:
This is an interesting program, and I appreciate it very much, but I don't like commentators just sitting in flimsy fold-up chairs and trying to shout over the music being pumped over the loudspeaker behind them.

The producers are trying to make the audience feel like they're in the rink with everyone else, but it needs to be less hectic and more professional. They said so much, so quickly, during the first half hour that I didn't get any of it.

Can we just have Jamie & David commentating all the time? Their comments were fascinating and insightful! I never knew David was so chatty.

(This show is on the USA Network, every night at 6 PM Eastern.)

I totally agree about the music as a side-effect. We want to hear the words that are being spoken!!!

I'm so very grateful for this show. It's like old times. Scott Hamilton, Jamie & David are the best! I look forward to tuning in every night.

shdotz

mzheng

Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard said:
yes, they did. MM handled the question better, though. But TT? Honey, you got the gold. Quit hating on the second place team.
You know, I always thought to be gracious when winning is much easier than to be gracious when loseing....but this team can do neither.

Anyone know that she is the GF of her coach? Given her coach's comments on Zhao's injury earlier on in the season, they are a perfect match. :chorus:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
mzheng said:
You know, I always thought to be gracious when winning is much easier than to be gracious when loseing....but this team can do neither.

There is nothing worse than a sore winner. A sore loser you can kinda understand, but if you win, just shut up and smile:biggrin:

mzheng

Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
Say what they think? Go ahead. But I hope she doesn't expect praise for being 'open and honest' when what she was was shallow and nasty. You won a gold medal, woman. Shut up and smile. Maybe she was just pissed because she knew if they'd LANDED that quad throw, they'd have won, off-time side-by-sides or no.
Exactly. I'm tired of ppl cheering for those 'Oh so honesty' mind speaking. You can say whatever you think privately and we know how dirty it could be, but on camara try at least to be 'decency'. If you are not, don't expect you are being cheered for.

Thought she just had to spilt it out, two times they won, but the runer up chinese pairs got the loudest plause from the audience. 2004 S/Z's LP and 2006 Z/Z's LP. It got to be hurt some.

btw,
Forgot to mention TT/MM's OGM a true display of the 'Team Work' from Russian federation. TT/MM's on ice skating at Turino and RF's lobby of the Rules off ice earlier in season. Job well done!

Last edited by a moderator: