CBC Always Does Great Broadcasting Job | Golden Skate

CBC Always Does Great Broadcasting Job

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am so happy that the CBC is covering the Olympics once again. They always do a superb job at covering the Olympics. Too bad they did not get the Vancouver 2010 Olympic coverage. I just hope CTV can match the CBC's standards.

rain

Record Breaker
Let me just say - ditto.
CBC's coverage of the Olympics is always great — they always show lots and lots of the actual events as opposed to endless fluff. I do not tune into the Olympics to hear the various commentators speculate and interview each other endlessly while I could be watching say, cross-country skiing, or the compulsory dance event (since this is a figure skating forum).
I was extremely disappointed that CTV won the contract for the 2010 games, as they have shown themselves to be more modelled after the American-style coverage (sorry Americans who like this style - I don't). I fully expect the coverage to be worse. Less coverage of actual events, more fluff, more "star" oriented coverage — and I mean that as both emphasis on certain star athletes as well as commentator-as-star. I only hope I'm wrong.
My only comfort is that I live close to where the Games will be taking place and am hoping to get tickets and time off enough to actually be able to see the skating live in 2010.

Saundy

On the Ice
I thought that CBC did a great job too and I'm sad they're not going to have the 2008 or 2010 games.

I chuckled at their little spat over whether the men's curling team was from NB or NL. It's Newfoundland & Labrador OF COURSE! :biggrin:

I also prefer CBC's coverage of figure skating over TSN/CTV's.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
CBC's coverage of the pairs short was pretty crappy. The only showed 6 pairs! And 2 of those were Canadian who they have to show since we need to see how our own athletes are doing so they only showed 4 of the top pairs! They didn't bother to show Pang & Tong, Z&S, S&S or I&B. At least NBC had fuller pairs coverage. CBC also didn't interview M&B - only D&D.

Jhar55

Medalist
Maybe the CBC needs to give the US networks a lesson on covering not only skating but the whole Olympics.
I'd get dish network if I could get networks like CBC.
Isn't that what satalite tv was invented for to start with?

S

SkateFan4Life

Ryan O said:
CBC's coverage of the pairs short was pretty crappy. The only showed 6 pairs! And 2 of those were Canadian who they have to show since we need to see how our own athletes are doing so they only showed 4 of the top pairs! They didn't bother to show Pang & Tong, Z&S, S&S or I&B. At least NBC had fuller pairs coverage. CBC also didn't interview M&B - only D&D.

What?! CBC did NOT show Pang and Tong, Shen and Zhao, and Inoue and Baldwin, the latter of whom just happened to land the first-ever triple axel throw at the Olympics? How can anyone call this "wonderful coverage"? Give me a break.

NBC aired all of the top pairs last evening - Russians, Chinese, Americans, Germans, etc. It was great coverage, in that many of the short programs were shown, except that we had to endure some rather poor commentary from the trio of Hammond, Bezic, and Button. I started a thread on this in "Edge".

rain

Record Breaker
Actually, CBC did show S/Z, and S/S (Germans).
They did not show Ioue/Baldwin (though they did show the throw triple axel), Pang/Tong, Obertas/Slavnov and Zagorska/ Suidek.
Aside from S/Z, and S/S they broadcast T/M, Pet/ Tik, Z/Z, and the two Canadian teams. I thought the non-airing of Pang/Tong and I/B was a particularly annoying oversight as these teams sit fourth and fifth and could well medal. I still stick by my assertion that I love CBC's coverage, however. Hopefully they'll do better with the rest of the skating.

Saundy

On the Ice
rain said:
Actually, CBC did show S/Z, and S/S (Germans).
They did not show Ioue/Baldwin (though they did show the throw triple axel), Pang/Tong, Obertas/Slavnov and Zagorska/ Suidek.
Aside from S/Z, and S/S they broadcast T/M, Pet/ Tik, Z/Z, and the two Canadian teams. I thought the non-airing of Pang/Tong and I/B was a particularly annoying oversight as these teams sit fourth and fifth and could well medal. I still stick by my assertion that I love CBC's coverage, however. Hopefully they'll do better with the rest of the skating.

I'll still say I like CBC's coverage too. Although I may be biased because my father works for CBC. :biggrin:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
SkateFan4Life said:
What?! CBC did NOT show Pang and Tong, Shen and Zhao, and Inoue and Baldwin, the latter of whom just happened to land the first-ever triple axel throw at the Olympics? How can anyone call this "wonderful coverage"? Give me a break.

No they didn't show many pairs - only the 2 Canadian pairs and 4 others. They did show Shen & Zhao. When I wrote Z&S that referred to Zagorska & Sieduk who were another pair shown on NBC but not on CBC. They did show the excerpt of the throw triple axel of I&B later in the evening, but not their whole program.