Kwan Has Withdrawn | Golden Skate

Kwan Has Withdrawn

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Michelle Kwan dropped out of the Turin Olympics on Sunday morning, one day after she cut short a practice because of a recurring groin injury.

The U.S. Olympic Committee submitted a request to replace Kwan with Emily Hughes, the third-place finisher at last month’s nationals. An answer is expected later this week, and Hughes was expected to travel to Turin on Sunday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11302192/

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This confirms my "gut feeling" from earlier in the season that we would not see MIchelle skate again (as an amateur). The Olympics, for me, just got less exciting...............good luck and get well soon, Michelle.................42

Vash01

Medalist
I am bummed. The competition is just not the same without Michelle.

I wish her the best.

Vash

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yah, that's really too bad. I'm happy, too, that Emily Hughes gets to come. She has done good. That's so neat Sara Hughes' sister is going to Olympics also! I really wish her luck! :)

Serena

Rinkside
:cry: That really puts a damper on the ladies competition for me- I was looking forward to seeing the Kween skate again. It must have been really hard for her.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Like the other posters, I'm sad Michelle won't be competing. It's not the same without her. I think it was good of her to withdraw early so Emily Hughes cna be prepared. As I've said before, she's a class act.

Panther2000

On the Ice
I just heard the news. I am moving in 3 days & have been busy packing up. I just turned on my computer & boom This is so sad, I was hoping that with a days rest that she would losen up. It seems from what I read that after the 3Toe jump she injured herself & hence missing the next 2 jumps. & the pain getting worse as the day went on.

But, true to her word she pulled herself out instead of waiting around. This had to be such a hard thing for her to do. & I read that she is leaving the games that way she isn't distraction in the games. Plus, probably just too painful for her to be there.

I wish her well & for her to get healthy & hopefully we get to see her skating sometime next season.

She is a true campion. :love:

I will say this, the womens compeition is now less appealing with michelle not being there

Morganlee

Match Penalty
I don't know why she had to put everyone through this. She knew ever since CoP was insigated that she wouldn't be scoring well under it. She knew when she came in 4th at Worlds, an event she use to dominate under 6.0. She knew she lost her 3/3 a long time ago yet insisted on a bye. Now we can get on with things.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Morganlee said:
I don't know why she had to put everyone through this. She knew ever since CoP was insigated that she wouldn't be scoring well under it. She knew when she came in 4th at Worlds, an event she use to dominate under 6.0. She knew she lost her 3/3 a long time ago yet insisted on a bye. Now we can get on with things.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. OFF WITH YOU
Guillotine_anim.gif

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Morgan while I agree that the US had an unrealistic view on how she'd do, I don't think she was committed to quiting in Torino until yesterday... let's try and be nice .

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Toni- I'm not trying to be mean just realistic. If that means being called a troll, so be it. The truth sometimes hurts.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I'm very sad for Michele but I can't help feeling that she probably felt that she would not (should not) compete at Olys since her December groin muscle injury.

I've said it before & I'll say it again: I wonder if the Olympic sponsors had anything to do with her having to go through this entire ordeal -- post-Nationals through the first practice in Torino? Maybe many years from now we'll hear a very interesting story from Michelle abut the pressures of Madison Avenue marketers.

For now, though, my heart aches for Michelle.

millie

Medalist
Frau Muller said:
I'm very sad for Michele but I can't help feeling that she probably felt that she would not (should not) compete at Olys since her December groin muscle injury.

I've said it before & I'll say it again: I wonder if the Olympic sponsors had anything to do with her having to go through this entire ordeal -- post-Nationals through the first practice in Torino? Maybe many years from now we'll hear a very interesting story from Michelle abut the pressures of Madison Avenue marketers.

For now, though, my heart aches for Michelle.

I agree with you. I don't think that she was healed from her previous injury. Everything has been kept secret with regards to her training and practice. She went there without her coach and practiced. I think that her first practice at the Olympics should have been kept private like her practices before she went there. Where was her coach? Shouldn't he have been there with her. There are a lot of unanswered questions. Did he know that she wasn't ready and didn't want her to go and that's why she went there without him. You would think that he would have been at her side from the time she arrived at the Olympics. I thought that was unusual. Was she forced to go because of the sponsors and USFA. We will probably never know.

Let's hope that she is feeling better soon and get on with her life whatever it maybe.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Pressure from sponsors and others...

Frau Muller said:
I wonder if the Olympic sponsors had anything to do with her having to go through this entire ordeal -- post-Nationals through the first practice in Torino? Maybe many years from now we'll hear a very interesting story from Michelle abut the pressures of Madison Avenue marketers.
QUOTE]

I wondered if this occured to anyone else. You have to think that Michelle has had all kinds of pressure from different groups in her world. As far as what her chances would have been, I prefer to believe she would have had a good showing...maybe not gold, but I think she would have left Turino with a medal. I'm really sad about this turn of events, but I understand.