Now what... | Golden Skate

Now what...

Longhornliz

Final Flight
As Kwan withdraws do we know what the next steps will be... I'm sure we'll learn more after her press conference, I am especially interested to see if Emily will be permitted to take her place, as others have speculated that by participating in a official practice the time to make a change will have passed. What are they official rules on this?

Also, what will become of Katy? will they send her to Torino as well? Seems like it wouldnt hurt to have her there just in case. I remember images of Kwan at the boards in Albertville, and I remember thinking that it was a good thing she was there given the climate and crazy dramas unfolding with Nancy and Tanya (anyone remember the boot issue at the last min?)

JOHIO2

Medalist
Liz, I remember the Tonya boot lace problem (and her crying and Nancy's snide remark and poor Jose Chouinard having to skate early)

I think Michelle hung out in Oslo and never did get to Albertville itself.

Obviously, Emily will be going. When the weather finally allows flights out of NYC. And Katy? She's busy training for a return to JR. Worlds and probably is crossing her fingers. But is that for an Olympics trip or not?

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I would assume that this will ruffle all the other competitors feathers because they had prepared themselves for a match up that will be somewhat different in her absence. Will this put more pressure on Cohen? Or will Emily be the story ( I wouldnt assume she will place very high given her lack of world experience... but she has such a great back story being the little sister of the previous OGM winner)?

I bet Sasha will grow tired of Michelle getting more press than anyone else, even when she is not competing in an event. Not that I think sasha is ungracious... but it must be hard to have every other question be about your oponent rather than your own skills.

Will Kimmie be crushed to see her childhood idol withdraw, will this add pressure to her load, which seemed somewhat light because she had been the least known USA lady.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Michelle said she would be going home so she won't be a distraction at the Games.

A Newsweek reporter yakking on MSNBC after the news conference this morning said that he thinks there will now be more pressure on Sasha.

And the Andrea Joyce with the NBC team said that all the cameras were following Michelle's practice and basically ignoring Kimmie while she was skating around and jumping and stuff at the same time. Guess that made Kimmie the "background noise."

Jhar55

Medalist
I think they can replace Michelle as long as she withdrew before the "draw", now it that draw the skating order which I am guessing is the one. Because as we know, they already called Emily to come. IMO Emily should have already been close by just incase this happened. As it is she's snowed in at this time.