Olympic Commentators - Tom Hammond, Sandra Bezic, and Dick Button | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Olympic Commentators - Tom Hammond, Sandra Bezic, and Dick Button

bluecatskater

Rinkside
dutchherder said:
I think Dick Button has continued to improve figure skating long after he left the ice. He picks an element that many skaters are performing subpar and makes an issue of it. The interesting thing is that over the next few years, those elements seem to improve. Remember when he was critical of how many of the ladies were not turning out their knees on layback spins? Not long after that, layback positions began to improve. I'm betting in the next few years we will see fewer "tush pushes" in death spirals and less frantic arm movements during men's programs, IMHO.

:bow:

I totally agree with you.:agree:

orchid

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Has Bob Costas had botox treatment to his forehead?

Excellent observation MM. I noticed this too.

else...
Why do many of you have so much problem with the skating commentators? If you are skating-literate, just filter off their voices. Who cares what they say, or how, when or if and not?

Gipson

Rinkside
But without commentators, we wouldn't hear Sandra Bezic say choreography is trite or that a program is a choreographical cop-out, or Dick talking about powder puff dresses and early 20th century dancers.

Tom Hammond is there for 'Everyman'. His annecdotal comments are important for the casual fan to keep abreast of the contestants past accomplishments and their lows and highs over the year. Important for the ratings.

Terry Gannon, in a similar job, has had more opportunity to learn the technical aspects of the Sport. I daresay he knows the difference between a flip and a lutz, and a flutz when he sees it; camel and a sitspin; a combo of jumps or spins. Understandable because he not only had more practice in the fs field but because, I believe he has gotten to enjoy it and therefore learned a lot.

Hammond, I don't know much about him, but it's his job now and I do not find him intrusive.

As for Sandra, I think the director told her to tone it down and her comments are now more bearable than before.

JMO

Joe