Will Michelle Kwan Retire? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Michelle Kwan Retire?

Gipson

Rinkside
SkateFan4Life said:
Michelle's Olympic experiences haven't been the happiest of her life, that's for sure:

1994 - Lillehammer - alternate.
1998 - Gold medal favorite. Skated cautiously and finished second to Tara Lipinski.
2002 - One of the favorites. Skated a flawed long program and finished third to Sarah Hughes and Irina Slutskaya.
2006 - Not a favorite. Withdrew due to injury.

However, that cannot erase a thing from her many accomplishments:

Nine-time United States champion.:bow:
Five-time World champion:bow:

I'm still surprised that people consider her 1998 Olympics skate cautious. I watched it recently and find it wonderful.

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Kwan's story WILL overshadow Slutskaya's (the OGM). Kwan wasn't even at Nats and all they were talking about was Kwan, Kwan, Kwan. Even when Cohen won, people were talking about Kwan's absence and her plans, etc. Upon arrival in Torino, Kwan, not US champion Cohen, was the one being interviewed left and right. And for sure, DURING the ladies events, people will be talking about Kwan's absence. It WILL be the same thing afterwards, despite Slutskaya's win -- unless Team Slutskaya creates another gimmick (maybe someone will be sick again... ho-hum) to generate as much attention for her.

I expect Emily not to even enter the top ten, so that won't be any news at all. The only news that could probably overshadow all news is if Cohen actually skates clean, Slutskaya withdraws, and Cohen wins in OGM-annointed Slutskaya's absence.

jesslily

Final Flight
I think that Michelle will and should retire from eligible skating. Her body and mind both don't give her the edge she needs to compete. I'm sure she still makes the best living out of skating than many gold medalists.
As for the podiem, I think it should be like this, 1.Irina, 2. Sasha, and 3.Fumie.

Kwan101

Rinkside
This is bad news for me, but not as bad as it would have been to see Michelle go out there and skate when she wasn't herself. She's had a great career and is an even better person than she is a skater.

The showed a clip of her tonight- watching the footage of her crying at the end of her "Fields of Gold" exhibition in the 2002 Olympics brought tears to my eyes. There will never be another Michelle.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I heard that Michelle said in an interview that she isn't retiring yet. I think that Michelle should not say or do anything definitive until she has had plenty of time to think out clearly what she wishes to do with the rest of her life.

rob43

On the Ice
I think she'll wait til the groin heals completely before deciding anything. I wonder if she might not skip COI this year to heal (although I'm sure they'd take her with only doubles since it would be a lovefest for the couple of dozen cities.)

I think she may want to compete next year if for no other reason to use the two programs from this year and go out on her own terms.

Whoever suggested Weiss as a partner- I've thought the same thing for a few years now. She's strong technically and he has the upper body strength most single skaters seem not to have. I think they actually have comparable skills too. But part of me worries about the physical pounding of learning throw elements. But if NNN can do it with her history...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the skating show "Olympic Ice", in an interview with Bob Costas and Scott Hamilton, Kwan said "I'm not retiring or anything like that". I think she will come back to competitive skating, and retire on an up note, on her own terms. I'm sure she won't stay around for another Olympic cycle, but she's not done yet.

Eeyora

Final Flight
rob43 said:
I think she'll wait til the groin heals completely before deciding anything. I wonder if she might not skip COI this year to heal (although I'm sure they'd take her with only doubles since it would be a lovefest for the couple of dozen cities.)

I think she may want to compete next year if for no other reason to use the two programs from this year and go out on her own terms.

QUOTE]

I would love to see her even if she only did spirals.

I agree with her competing next year as a possibility. Maybe even just to win a tenth National title and then go out. Although I would love to see her skate in 2010Maybe by then she can adapt herself to the scoring system. Regardless what she needs is some times rest.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
If COI can get the Ladies OGM wiinner, she'll have to be the star of the tour. Its always been that way, and I don't think COI will have a choice. Michelle is injured, who knows if she'll be able to tour this year?

S

SkateFan4Life

I think this will be the end of Michelle's eligible career. While I expect her to fully recover from her groin injury, I think she will do some serious thinking this year as to where her career has gone and where she is now. Honestly, she must realize that she doesn't have the technical repertoire to compete and win against the younger skaters who are successfully landing 3/3 combinations and/or triple axels. Michelle's skating, while beautiful, has pretty much remained at the same level - very high, of course - but at the same level.

In my opinion, Michelle will retire and embark on a highly successful career as a pro skater, either skating with SOI, or her own touring show, and/or in television specials.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I think she will be a commentator and then a coach. Or, she could end up like Todd Eldrege and Kurt Browning and figure out how to skate well again w/ an aging body (how did they do that?) and if so she would probably consider 2010, but its unlikely

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I wouldn't be surprised if Michele shows up for one last Nationals, to try to earn her tenth title & go out on a very high note!

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Michele shows up for one last Nationals, to try to earn her tenth title & go out on a very high note!
That was my thinking. If her body holds up, I think she would like to go out on her own terms and make one final appearance at U.S. Nationals. However, I am 95% sure she will not go to worlds that year (thereby letting the 4th place finisher go) and she surely will not be around for 2010.

egskater0003

Rinkside
Mk

Nope, don't think she'll retire yet. In her interview on Olympic Ice (USA Network) with Bob Costas & Scott H., she laughed and said "It's not like I'm retiring or something..." Later she then smiled about 2010 olympics....well I don't think she'll be there but I have a good feeling she'll be back for 2007 season at least.

I think she will go for one more Nats & World title. I don't think she wants to end her career on a bad note.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:

I wouldn't either... but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if Kwan hangs up her skates, goes back to school and keeps a low profile... Regardless of how we interpret her remarks ~ you just get the feeling that for Kwan love of the sport and her passion for skating are very tied up in the OGM. Without it, she just might stop completely, espcially since the one thing she's always been upfront about was her love of competition vs. desire to be the next Kurt Browning.

I hope that I'm completly wrong & she heals up beautifully and wins that 10th title with a 6th World championship to boot. But I'm not holding my breath.

Kathleen

Rinkside
I agree that she's not quite done yet.......but she won't be around in 2010. Go for #10 Michelle and go out on a high note!

cianni

On the Ice
Yep

Michelle will be doing 2007 Nationals bar career ending injuries.The DR said they were not career ending so expect her there. Right from a source.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
cianni said:
Michelle will be doing 2007 Nationals bar career ending injuries.The DR said they were not career ending so expect her there. Right from a source.

From a source that the injury isn't career ending or a source that she's made a tentative decision to remain eligible?

guinevere

Final Flight
As much as I love Michelle Kwan, I would rather see her retire than go through another season like this. I do want to see the programs she had for the Olys, and would love to see her earn that 10th nationals, but I don't know that that will happen. Because MK didn't compete this year at all, won't she have to skate up though regionals and sectionals to get to Nationals in 2007? Perhaps she could get a bye to nationals, but I would want to see her in another competition in the fall. She won't be eligible for GP - it would be a hoot for her to compete at Nebelhorn or some "lesser" competition. I guess I'm saying that I only want her to continue if she's willing to do more than show up at Nationals for the history books.