Will Michelle Kwan Retire? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will Michelle Kwan Retire?

soogar

Record Breaker
My only b!tching is that that commentator with Bob Costas kept babbling how MK would be old at 29 for the next Olympics. Isn't he aware that Irina and many other skaters are competing well and they are well in their 20s. Isn't Irina at least 26, possibly 27 years old already?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
soogar said:
My only b!tching is that that commentator with Bob Costas kept babbling how MK would be old at 29 for the next Olympics. Isn't he aware that Irina and many other skaters are competing well and they are well in their 20s. Isn't Irina at least 26, possibly 27 years old already?

Stop it... that would require tv analysts to get their facts on skating correct BEFORE opening their mouths. And we know that's not gonna happen. Michelle is injured, not too old. whatever. And yes, Irina actually turns 27 during the games. Any news on her? Is she there yet?

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Hey Kwanford, did you know that the doctor in question is in the sports medicine division at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak?

Here he is (left, with speed skater Derek Parra). Do you think he looks a lot like Raphael Arutunian?

http://www.beaumontpressroom.com/pls/pportal30/docs/FOLDER/2006/MOELLERUSOCDOC/MOELLERANDFRIEND

MM

Yay! Say what you will about Detroit, but you cannot say we (you... but I'm homesick!) don't have the absolute best in sports medicine care. Yes, he does look like the MIA hot Russian...

Is he treating Kwan or just commenting on her ability to heal? Less than four days after withdrawing from the olympics seems a little too quick for Michelle to make that type of decision... but I would like to know before I shell out big bucks for COI... espcially since here one must travel to DC vs. driving downtown to see the show... I swear if I'd known 18 months ago how hard it would be to live in a nonsports town... :disapp:

cianni

On the Ice
Ans.

Michelle has said she wants to go for 10 and break the record. If she is healthy she will unless something changes and that could happen. This was before the reinjury. I hope she does but only if her injury is 100% for sometime and there is little chance of further injury. Maybe if the OLYS were in April and with more time she would not have reinjured . These injuries take time and that wasnt really available to her. Will keep all posted .

Kwanford Wife said:
Is he treating Kwan or just commenting on her ability to heal?
He is there as medical support for the speed skating team. When Michelle's injury started feeling worse in the middle of the night, they roused him out of bed to come see about her. After this consultation, Michelle made her decision to withdraw, but Dr. Moeller says that he felt like she had already decided.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/SPORTS17/602130348

BTW, the print version of this article had a nice picture of Dr. M. I see that the on-line version has Emily.

MM

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
cianni said:
Michelle has said she wants to go for 10 and break the record. If she is healthy she will unless something changes and that could happen. This was before the reinjury. I hope she does but only if her injury is 100% for sometime and there is little chance of further injury. Maybe if the OLYS were in April and with more time she would not have reinjured . These injuries take time and that wasnt really available to her. Will keep all posted .

Thanks... hmm... the plot thickens... here's hoping she makes the right decision for her, not the USFSA or the fans... Kwan's done a lot for this sport and I'd like to see her do more, for my own selfish reasons. However, like most fans, I have a hard time differentiating from the two... (nor can I spell!:p )

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
He is there as medical support for the speed skating team. When Michelle's injury started feeling worse in the middle of the night, they roused him out of bed to come see about her. After this consultation, Michelle made her decision to withdraw, but Dr. Moeller says that he felt like she had already decided.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/SPORTS17/602130348

BTW, the print version of this article had a nice picture of Dr. M. I see that the on-line version has Emily.

MM

I'm not surprised that she'd already decided... her face told the tale at the Friday practice session... So sad...

But you gotta love a man that names his daughter after a Red Wing!

S

SkateFan4Life

Frau Muller said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Michele shows up for one last Nationals, to try to earn her tenth title & go out on a very high note!

That may well happen, if Michelle is healthy and skating well. She may well take things one year at a time for the next four years. I'm not expecting to see Michelle in Vancouver in 2010, but who knows, it may happen!