Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Will Michelle Kwan Retire?

Custom Title

already semi-retired

Don't you think not training all year for 3 years is semi-retirement? Skating in just 2 competitions a year is semi-retirement? Michelle has not been a full-time skater since 2003.
    All the adds for the Olympics had Michelle in them. Several product adds shown since the Olympics started had Michelle in them. She was the featured athlete during the opening ceremonies. She was the first interview on the Today show.She's not retiring but changing professions. Michelle is a young business woman now & she is doing what is best for her future. Being seen at this Olympics satisfied all the sponsors, nbc & disney as well. She was obligated to show up if she could skate or not & she did it with style. Her makeup has never been better! Wouldn't you like to see her replace Peggy Flemming as a comentator? Or win all the professional competitions she entered? Who knows? If she goes professional people might actually start watching again & that would be great for skating & Michelle. The end of her amatuer career is not the end of Michelle. Allow her to grow up & have a life besides training everyday. That's what she's been trying to do. Many thanks to her for thrilling & entertaining us through her youth. Best wishes for an adult life full of joy & happiness.
    Last edited by sk8addict; 02-12-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Custom Title
    I fully expect her to retire. I got the feeling the last couple of years she simply hung in as an amateur to try for that Olympic Gold one more time and with that now not an option, she really has nothing else to prove to herself, IMO. She's got world titles, national titles, and now injuries that would most likely continue to recur if she were to continue in the amateur world (groin injuries are notorious for hanging around). I hope she sticks around to compete in the pro ranks.

I think Sk8addict's perspective is a sound one. Joe gave a similar analysis. For the last three years Michelle's full time profession was being Michelle Kwan.

Rather than "retire," she will just segue into Michelle Kwan, the sequel.

MM

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Matt Savoie!

(Um, this is in answer to Thishingcalledlove's question, not RussianBleux's. )
    I remember a few years ago, during one of those team cheesefests, she was paired with Matt Savoie, and she joked that they should throw in some lifts and throws and they'll be set LOL.

Really, though...I think she should try another discipline. Dance, even. Michelle Kwan and Pyotr Tchernyshev?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I think Sk8addict's perspective is a sound one. Joe gave a similar analysis. For the last three years Michelle's full time profession was being Michelle Kwan.

Rather than "retire," she will just segue into Michelle Kwan, the sequel.

MM
    I think the best is yet to come from Michelle, and not as an amateur skater (all the joking aside with switching disciplines). She will truly be able to stretch as a professional, and who knows? What if she ends up coaching a future gold medalist? We haven't seen the last of Michelle Kwan.
    Last edited by thisthingcalledlove; 02-12-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Medalist
    I think she'll retire from eligible skating either this year or next. On the NBC Olympic site she's quoted as saying "I've had a great career. I've been very lucky". That sounds to me like she doesn't plan on going on much longer, if at all. I've never heard her talk about her career in the past tense before.

I'll miss her, but I think that would be a good decision.

I remember some comments from her shortly after Nagano about how she'd never want to skate as an ineligible skater, because what she loves about skating is competing. I hope she changes her mind, because I think she'd be a great pro skater. Without the pressure of getting in so many triples, I think she could come up with some great programs.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Michelle's Olympic experiences haven't been the happiest of her life, that's for sure:

1994 - Lillehammer - alternate.
    1998 - Gold medal favorite. Skated cautiously and finished second to Tara Lipinski.
    2002 - One of the favorites. Skated a flawed long program and finished third to Sarah Hughes and Irina Slutskaya.
    2006 - Not a favorite. Withdrew due to injury.

However, that cannot erase a thing from her many accomplishments:

Nine-time United States champion.
    Five-time World champion
    I'm still surprised that people consider her 1998 Olympics skate cautious. I watched it recently and find it wonderful.

Medalist
    Kwan's story WILL overshadow Slutskaya's (the OGM). Kwan wasn't even at Nats and all they were talking about was Kwan, Kwan, Kwan. Even when Cohen won, people were talking about Kwan's absence and her plans, etc. Upon arrival in Torino, Kwan, not US champion Cohen, was the one being interviewed left and right. And for sure, DURING the ladies events, people will be talking about Kwan's absence. It WILL be the same thing afterwards, despite Slutskaya's win -- unless Team Slutskaya creates another gimmick (maybe someone will be sick again... ho-hum) to generate as much attention for her.

I expect Emily not to even enter the top ten, so that won't be any news at all. The only news that could probably overshadow all news is if Cohen actually skates clean, Slutskaya withdraws, and Cohen wins in OGM-annointed Slutskaya's absence.

Ice Angel
    I think that Michelle will and should retire from eligible skating. Her body and mind both don't give her the edge she needs to compete. I'm sure she still makes the best living out of skating than many gold medalists.
    As for the podiem, I think it should be like this, 1.Irina, 2. Sasha, and 3.Fumie.

On the Ice
    This is bad news for me, but not as bad as it would have been to see Michelle go out there and skate when she wasn't herself. She's had a great career and is an even better person than she is a skater.

The showed a clip of her tonight- watching the footage of her crying at the end of her "Fields of Gold" exhibition in the 2002 Olympics brought tears to my eyes. There will never be another Michelle.

Custom Title
    I heard that Michelle said in an interview that she isn't retiring yet. I think that Michelle should not say or do anything definitive until she has had plenty of time to think out clearly what she wishes to do with the rest of her life.

On the Ice
    I think she'll either retire soon, or go for a 10th US title.

Custom Title
    I think she'll wait til the groin heals completely before deciding anything. I wonder if she might not skip COI this year to heal (although I'm sure they'd take her with only doubles since it would be a lovefest for the couple of dozen cities.)

I think she may want to compete next year if for no other reason to use the two programs from this year and go out on her own terms.

Whoever suggested Weiss as a partner- I've thought the same thing for a few years now. She's strong technically and he has the upper body strength most single skaters seem not to have. I think they actually have comparable skills too. But part of me worries about the physical pounding of learning throw elements. But if NNN can do it with her history...

Custom Title
    On the skating show "Olympic Ice", in an interview with Bob Costas and Scott Hamilton, Kwan said "I'm not retiring or anything like that". I think she will come back to competitive skating, and retire on an up note, on her own terms. I'm sure she won't stay around for another Olympic cycle, but she's not done yet.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=rob43]I think she'll wait til the groin heals completely before deciding anything. I wonder if she might not skip COI this year to heal (although I'm sure they'd take her with only doubles since it would be a lovefest for the couple of dozen cities.)

I think she may want to compete next year if for no other reason to use the two programs from this year and go out on her own terms.

QUOTE]

I would love to see her even if she only did spirals.

I agree with her competing next year as a possibility. Maybe even just to win a tenth National title and then go out. Although I would love to see her skate in 2010Maybe by then she can adapt herself to the scoring system. Regardless what she needs is some times rest.

Creative Compilation Compiler aka 3axel
    If COI can get the Ladies OGM wiinner, she'll have to be the star of the tour. Its always been that way, and I don't think COI will have a choice. Michelle is injured, who knows if she'll be able to tour this year?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast