Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Will Michelle Kwan Retire?

SkateFan4Life
    I think this will be the end of Michelle's eligible career. While I expect her to fully recover from her groin injury, I think she will do some serious thinking this year as to where her career has gone and where she is now. Honestly, she must realize that she doesn't have the technical repertoire to compete and win against the younger skaters who are successfully landing 3/3 combinations and/or triple axels. Michelle's skating, while beautiful, has pretty much remained at the same level - very high, of course - but at the same level.

In my opinion, Michelle will retire and embark on a highly successful career as a pro skater, either skating with SOI, or her own touring show, and/or in television specials.

Custom Title
    I think she will be a commentator and then a coach. Or, she could end up like Todd Eldrege and Kurt Browning and figure out how to skate well again w/ an aging body (how did they do that?) and if so she would probably consider 2010, but its unlikely

Custom Title
    I wouldn't be surprised if Michele shows up for one last Nationals, to try to earn her tenth title & go out on a very high note!

Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    I wouldn't be surprised if Michele shows up for one last Nationals, to try to earn her tenth title & go out on a very high note!
    That was my thinking. If her body holds up, I think she would like to go out on her own terms and make one final appearance at U.S. Nationals. However, I am 95% sure she will not go to worlds that year (thereby letting the 4th place finisher go) and she surely will not be around for 2010.

Rinkside

Mk

Nope, don't think she'll retire yet. In her interview on Olympic Ice (USA Network) with Bob Costas & Scott H., she laughed and said "It's not like I'm retiring or something..." Later she then smiled about 2010 olympics....well I don't think she'll be there but I have a good feeling she'll be back for 2007 season at least.

I think she will go for one more Nats & World title. I don't think she wants to end her career on a bad note.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    I wouldn't either... but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if Kwan hangs up her skates, goes back to school and keeps a low profile... Regardless of how we interpret her remarks ~ you just get the feeling that for Kwan love of the sport and her passion for skating are very tied up in the OGM. Without it, she just might stop completely, espcially since the one thing she's always been upfront about was her love of competition vs. desire to be the next Kurt Browning.

I hope that I'm completly wrong & she heals up beautifully and wins that 10th title with a 6th World championship to boot. But I'm not holding my breath.

On the Ice
    I agree that she's not quite done yet.......but she won't be around in 2010. Go for #10 Michelle and go out on a high note!

Custom Title

Yep

Michelle will be doing 2007 Nationals bar career ending injuries.The DR said they were not career ending so expect her there. Right from a source.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by cianni
    Michelle will be doing 2007 Nationals bar career ending injuries.The DR said they were not career ending so expect her there. Right from a source.
    From a source that the injury isn't career ending or a source that she's made a tentative decision to remain eligible?

As much as I love Michelle Kwan, I would rather see her retire than go through another season like this. I do want to see the programs she had for the Olys, and would love to see her earn that 10th nationals, but I don't know that that will happen. Because MK didn't compete this year at all, won't she have to skate up though regionals and sectionals to get to Nationals in 2007? Perhaps she could get a bye to nationals, but I would want to see her in another competition in the fall. She won't be eligible for GP - it would be a hoot for her to compete at Nebelhorn or some "lesser" competition. I guess I'm saying that I only want her to continue if she's willing to do more than show up at Nationals for the history books.

Custom Title
    My only b!tching is that that commentator with Bob Costas kept babbling how MK would be old at 29 for the next Olympics. Isn't he aware that Irina and many other skaters are competing well and they are well in their 20s. Isn't Irina at least 26, possibly 27 years old already?

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    My only b!tching is that that commentator with Bob Costas kept babbling how MK would be old at 29 for the next Olympics. Isn't he aware that Irina and many other skaters are competing well and they are well in their 20s. Isn't Irina at least 26, possibly 27 years old already?
    Stop it... that would require tv analysts to get their facts on skating correct BEFORE opening their mouths. And we know that's not gonna happen. Michelle is injured, not too old. whatever. And yes, Irina actually turns 27 during the games. Any news on her? Is she there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    From a source that the injury isn't career ending or a source that she's made a tentative decision to remain eligible?
    Hey Kwanford, did you know that the doctor in question is in the sports medicine division at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak?

Do you think he looks like Raphael Arutunian in the bottom picture (left, with speed skater Derek Parra).

http://www.beaumonthospitals.com/pls...1?l_recent=582

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-13-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Hey Kwanford, did you know that the doctor in question is in the sports medicine division at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak?

Here he is (left, with speed skater Derek Parra). Do you think he looks a lot like Raphael Arutunian?

http://www.beaumontpressroom.com/pls...ELLERANDFRIEND

MM
    Yay! Say what you will about Detroit, but you cannot say we (you... but I'm homesick!) don't have the absolute best in sports medicine care. Yes, he does look like the MIA hot Russian...

Is he treating Kwan or just commenting on her ability to heal? Less than four days after withdrawing from the olympics seems a little too quick for Michelle to make that type of decision... but I would like to know before I shell out big bucks for COI... espcially since here one must travel to DC vs. driving downtown to see the show... I swear if I'd known 18 months ago how hard it would be to live in a nonsports town...

Custom Title

Ans.

Michelle has said she wants to go for 10 and break the record. If she is healthy she will unless something changes and that could happen. This was before the reinjury. I hope she does but only if her injury is 100% for sometime and there is little chance of further injury. Maybe if the OLYS were in April and with more time she would not have reinjured . These injuries take time and that wasnt really available to her. Will keep all posted .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast