Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Confused about short program results

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    antmanb, The point I was trying to make with the trick list is that I&B completely redid their SP arrangement between 4C's 1/23 to 1/29 and skating on 2/11. They didn't just plug elements into the spaces left when other elements were taken out. That's about 2 week old choreo. Not surprising that it's a bit bare at this point, but they need to do better. I would have had them about 4th, ahead of S&Z and Pang&tong.

Rinkside
    The German pair had good transitions. It appears to me that the judges are not using the pcs scores as intended. All the scores are within about .25 for each pair. I think T&M should be marked lower on interpretation, since I don't think they have much, but they do have excellent skating skills, and should be marked accordingly. The Germans should be marked higher on transitions, Shen and Zhou (sp) higher on interpretation, etc. Instead, they basically give the same marks for each component of pcs and use it to place skaters/pairs where they want them (or so it seems to me). Whether this would have changed I&B's placement or not, I'm not sure, since I think they do have less choreography than some of the other pairs and far less emotion than S&Z, and as was stated earlier, the throw triple axel isn't everything, although that WAS a BEAUTIFUL throw triple axel and I would have given it higher GOE (not that I'm a skating judge or anything).

Doris is the Queen!

De-lurking to tell Doris that I want to be you when I grow up. Your pairs insight and willingness to comb over protocols (which I don't have the time or patience for) is unmatched.

Keep it up! I can't wait to read your analysis of the long programs.

Rinkside
    From Ice Skating International: Online:

"In looking over the Short Program protocol I offer a few observations.

1. -1 for Inoue & Baldwin's throw triple Axel? Give me a break. Two judges had it at +2. -1 to +2 is a ridiculous spread of opinion. And that's just what it is. For all the talk of objectivity, it is still just opinion. Only two judges gave Program Component scores in the 7s. Apparently the judges are in the same mindset as many of the skaters. This is a Russia/China party, and everyone else can sit at the children's table.

2. Shen & Zhao ended up with a level 1 on their death spiral. Zhao did not hold the pivot position for one revolution, in which case most of the level features do not come into play. The death spiral level features are:

* Difficult variation of entry and/or exit. (Both counts twice.)**blue text**
    * Change of lady’s arm hold (1 revolution in each hold.)
    * Opposite arm hold of the man (1 revolution in this hold. In SP, only after 1 revolution in regular hold.)
    * Change of Lady’s body position. (1 revolution in each position.) (Not for SP.)
    * Each full revolution after the first revolution. (Multiple credit for each full rotation.)
    * Performed in both directions. (One after the other.)**blue text**
    * Change of man’s pivot position. (1 revolution in each position.) (Not for SP.)

Only the features in blue could potentially be earned in a death spiral with less than one revolution on the first foot. So if the element is short, not only does the team get a negative GoE for the element, they also lose on the levels too.

3. There were several cases where a skater put one or both hands down. Hard. At other competitions this has received a deduction for a fall. But not here. Why is it so hard for the ISU to enforce a uniform policy on the decisions of the Technical Panel? What is being done to rectify this? Not much it would appear.

4. The second through eighth place teams scored within 4.5 points of each other; only 7% of the scores. Did these teams really differ by just 7%. Zhang & Zhang seemed significantly better than Obertas & Slavnov; by a lot more than just 7%. Why is the system incapable of separating the competitors by an amount that truly reflects their relative ability. Why are the judges still so stingy with +2s and +3s? Out of 160 elements in the Short programs and only 4 had a majority of 2s or better. If the best skaters in the world can't get 2s and 3s, one might ask if the standard has anything to do with reality."

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI
    antmanb, The point I was trying to make with the trick list is that I&B completely redid their SP arrangement between 4C's 1/23 to 1/29 and skating on 2/11. They didn't just plug elements into the spaces left when other elements were taken out. That's about 2 week old choreo. Not surprising that it's a bit bare at this point, but they need to do better. I would have had them about 4th, ahead of S&Z and Pang&tong.
    Oh ok - i get it...so did their 4CC's SP have more transitions and choreography then the version they put out in the SP?

Do they plan to go the worlds?

Ant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2