Another sensitive article in the Washington Post | Golden Skate

Another sensitive article in the Washington Post

Vash01

Medalist
INsensitive!

This is a horrible article. I think you need to change the title of this thread. It is 'Insensitive', not 'sensitive'.

Vash

Saundy

On the Ice
That's one of the most ridiculous articles I've ever read. This guy is OBVIOUSLY anti-skating.

Actually, this guy does have a point, albeit one that has been made many times in the past by observers with more impressive credentials than his. He is not criticizing Michelle, but rather objecting to a system which exploits very young and starry-eyed athletes for the monetary and ego-related gain of adults.

I do wonder, though, if Mr. Wise (an unfortunate name) would hold the same view about, say, professional basketball or football players who extend their adolescence by playing children's games for the pleasure and approval of the audience, well into their supposed adulthood (and incidentally enriching themselves in the process.)

In any case, I am always amused at the self-important pontificating of folks like Mr. Wise who make their living by writing about the accomplishments of others.

MM

cianni

On the Ice
Sick as in the head

Boy what a vile person. I guess he has a need to bash people its about him not her.

rob43

On the Ice
What's funny is that the writers who know Kwan best and even Frank Carroll talk about how close she holds her cards to the vest and how certain subjects you just don't discuss with her.

Yet this guy and the other OLY only writers seem to think they know all about her personal business. Also- do they not realize the Michelle Kwan is a business in and of herself?

I'm sure she'll be depressed for two months and move about whatever life she chooses. She really has as many opportunities as anyone still in the Olympics in any sport. I fell badly for her but it is stupid to think she couldn't move on when she hasn't lacked for options but simply deferred them.

Vash01 said:
This is a horrible article. I think you need to change the title of this thread. It is 'Insensitive', not 'sensitive'.

Vash

Sorry, Vash, I was attempting sarcasm. Guess it doesn't come across in type. This guy is even more (in)sensitive than Sally whatshername (the Cheetos writer).

Also- do they not realize the Michelle Kwan is a business in and of herself?

Exactly - another article described her as "first and foremost, a savvy businesswoman who knew better than to peddle an inferior product," something like that. Pretty good for a "15"-year-old!!!:chorus:

rain

Record Breaker
I think the greatest insult this article makes — aside from the obvious bash on skating as a sport — is to Kwan herself. The author writes as if Kwan were some poor manipulated girl who was forced into skating and has never had a chance at anything else. While I don't know her personally — any more than I would guess the writer of this article does — that was certainly never the impression I got of her. When Kwan and Mike Caroll parted ways and she struggled a bit on her own afterwards I got the sense that was her real "growing up" breakaway. She took firm control of her own life and career. She tried out college - who's to say she won't go back? Lot's of people - many I know personally - have taken a break from school at some point. Some go back, others move on to different things. None of the aforementioned choices are wrong. Kwan's no Oksana Baiul, thrust into the limelight and buckling under the pressure.

As for the author's assumption that just because she won't dish about her personal life to the media, it means she doesn't have one - well, that's simply absurd.

The author's portrayal of Kwan as some clueless, helpless, cossetted figure seems out to lunch.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I didn't think it was all that bad. Wounds are obviously still wide open from Kwan's pullout. Give it a couple of months and everything should be fine.

rob43

On the Ice
I don't think its so much about wounds (although I do agree its kicking a person when they're down) as much as it just seems condescending.

Like he saw characteristics of x and y and decided he personally can conclude z without any knowledge. He also didn't seem to notice that Hughes had in fact taken time off from studies to tour.

I'm starting to think Olympic sports writers are the laziest, most ill informed journalists of all. At least Hersh and Brennan interview/follow the skaters before passing judgements.

Vash01

Medalist
Misplaced Gymnast said:
Sorry, Vash, I was attempting sarcasm. Guess it doesn't come across in type. This guy is even more (in)sensitive than Sally whatshername (the Cheetos writer).

Exactly - another article described her as "first and foremost, a savvy businesswoman who knew better than to peddle an inferior product," something like that. Pretty good for a "15"-year-old!!!:chorus:

OK. I get it now. It IS hard to read sarcasm in written material.

Vash

SusanBeth

Final Flight
It's so stupid, that it's almost funny. He makes it sound like Kwan is a noncriminal equivalent of Tonya Harding. He presents her as though she has gained absolutely nothing from her hard work but a broken down, used up, old carcass of body. Hello! Kwan will not have to resort to throwing hubcaps for pleasure and attention. She can make her future what she wants it to be and she doesn't need a gold medal one bit . Let's face it, Kwan can write her own ticket. She is a legend in her sport. That's not a bad place for a 25 year old to be.

maruru

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Actually, this guy does have a point, albeit one that has been made many times in the past by observers with more impressive credentials than his. He is not criticizing Michelle, but rather objecting to a system which exploits very young and starry-eyed athletes for the monetary and ego-related gain of adults.

I do wonder, though, if Mr. Wise (an unfortunate name) would hold the same view about, say, professional basketball or football players who extend their adolescence by playing children's games for the pleasure and approval of the audience, well into their supposed adulthood (and incidentally enriching themselves in the process.)

MM

That's how I read the article, too. And it's sorta valid. Although, he could have made his point in any other different way. He wouldn't have had to seize this very "opportunity." Well, that's what the media is all about but still... that's what left some bad taste in my mouth after reading it.

diver chick

On the Ice
Mathman said:

MM

I am with Mathman on this one, although I think that Mr Wise's attempt to humanise the picture by using Michelle as an example of how the system works has failed miserabley in this instance. Certainly for my money, using a skater who was told by her coach at 12 that she was too young for seniors and should wait to take the tests and then promptly disregarded everything he said and took her senior tests while he was away is not necessarily a good example.

If he really wanted to highlight the problems in the system, the many skaters who don't make it to the top are the way to go.

lotusland

On the Ice
And what role in life was this fellow after? And, clearly did not achieve!?!

Totally unnecessary article. :scowl:

76olympics

On the Ice
Ye gods, maybe we're lucky he became a columnist instead of a counselor or sports psychologist. He doesn't seem to understand anything about Kwan's history or skating either. Perhaps, He read that one book about gymnasts and skaters and is running to Venus with that premise. I have always wished that Michelle had stayed in school too ( like Paul and Matt did) -but I don't think she is pathetic because she didn't . She is more the rule in the skating world and Paul and Matt are exceptions ( I still think they were wise, though.)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
As I understood it, she still took classes, especially in summer, so she technically stayed "enrolled" in UCLA. Anyway, why should Michelle be criticized because she wasn't at college full time? I don't know of any skater since Dick Button who has stayed on top of the podium as long as Michelle has, while attending classes. After all, IIRC, Paul has 1 Oly silver, 0 Nat golds, and 0 world medals; Matt has 2 Nat bronze and one GPF bronze, and I think that is it. These two guys put school first and skating second; Michelle could not combine the two, so she put skating first (but as best I can tell) did not completely give up her education -- and she can still complete her degree.

BTW -- here is another article from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...2/13/AR2006021302412.html?nav=rss_print/style

Last edited: